PDA

View Full Version : Hording for the storm

abunaitoo
09-11-2018, 07:16 PM
Last week when the storm was suppose to hit, there was lots of hording going on.
News showed people at costco with flat carts stacked with bottled water.
Stores ran out of caned food, bottled water, flashlights, toilet paper, charcoal.
No one had generators or gas cans.
Ply wood boards sold out.
After the storm passed, long lines to return everything horded.
Lots of upset people when they found out stores wouldn't take everything back.
Is there a lot of hording going on in the Carolina's????

Is there any price gouging going on???
I know we had it here.

rdwarrior
09-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Yes they are hoarding like crazy here in upstate SC. could barely find a gallon of 2% milk for my 3 yr old daughter. I was told by one store employee that people are buying everything up, and after the storm passes and they dont need it, they will take it all back to the stores for a return - including food items. I hope that isnt the case though as i sure dont want to buy food items that someone hoarded and then returned to the store - not knowing how they maintained it.

FISH4BUGS
09-11-2018, 07:54 PM
That's what makes me crazy. Most people couldn't last 3 days if everything turned to ****. No power, no food, no water, etc. That's why we have a generator with 50 gallons of gas in reserve that runs the well pump, the septic pump, 2 freezers, the fridge (2), the furnace, and of course, the man cave and all casting/reloading equipment.
Don't think it can't happen to you? 2008 ice storm we were without power for 9 days.
It CAN happen. No need to hoard.

Walks
09-11-2018, 07:55 PM
We don't really hoard much in CA. According to recent polls, only about 10% keep their Earthquake kits updated.
I keep 2 55 gallon drums of water on hand, I empty them every year on July 4th and rinse them out with a gallon of bleach. Then I refill them with another gallon of bleach and 54 gallons of water. I have two trash cans with clothes and camping gear. Batteries get changed out with the water. And I have 5 20lb propane tanks. A couple/buckets of that long term storage food. And plenty of firewood. All of this away from the house in a storage shed. And self defense items too.

If you look at a map, you'll see that LA is surrounded by mountains on 2 sides and the ocean on one. To passes to the north and one to the east. South is open but only one Hwy in that direction. If you do get out there is nothing but desert to the east.
We have no place to go. It's shelter in place.
If the quake is bad enough, then the Highways will go down and the passes will be blocked.

If Hurricane Sandy is any indication of Gov't help, there will be fighting and dying in the streets for bottles of water and candy bars.

bob208
09-11-2018, 08:22 PM
I grew up learning to "hord" on the farm mom canned and froze fruits and veggies. also had a lot of meat in the freezer. then when I got old enough I joined a group whose motto was be prepared . I learned right now we can go 6 months or longer. to me it is just normal.

Finster101
09-11-2018, 08:41 PM
I grew up learning to "hord" on the farm mom canned and froze fruits and veggies. also had a lot of meat in the freezer. then when I got old enough I joined a group whose motto was be prepared . I learned right now we can go 6 months or longer. to me it is just normal.

That's being prepared not hoarding. You built up your supplies over time and keep them at the level you are comfortable with. Do not under estimate the number of people that stop by the store everyday and keep next to nothing in their homes. I am amazed at the idiocy every time a storm is approaching. I wish you folks in the path the best of luck. I've been through a few of these myself and it's no fun even if you come out unscathed, it tears the heck out of the area around you and take a long time to get things back in shape.

Hannibal
09-11-2018, 08:43 PM
I always figured storing many supplies just meant every moron who didn't but had a gun would be coming by soon to try and take it.

I figure the events following Katrina are a good indicator of the manner of insanity that will ensue within hours of a national disaster. I mostly hope I never see such an event come to pass.

YMMV.

lightman
09-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Last week when the storm was suppose to hit, there was lots of hording going on.
News showed people at costco with flat carts stacked with bottled water.
Stores ran out of caned food, bottled water, flashlights, toilet paper, charcoal.
No one had generators or gas cans.
Ply wood boards sold out.
After the storm passed, long lines to return everything horded.
Lots of upset people when they found out stores wouldn't take everything back.
Is there a lot of hording going on in the Carolina's????

Is there any price gouging going on???
I know we had it here.

I don't blame the stores for refusing returns. Especially food items. I'm not sure if thats even legal.

I'm not sure exactly where the line is between common sense, being prepared and hoarding. My Wife keeps us pretty well stocked up with kitchen and household stuff. If we had a major storm in the forecast I doubt my Wife would even need to go buy anything. I keep a few cans of gas and diesel around and a few extra jugs of propane. I have several cases of bottled water that is probably flat by now but is to be used to wash with of flush the toilet. If we had hurricanes here I would have plywood cut to fit the windows and extra tarps.

JimB..
09-12-2018, 07:33 AM
It’s been busy here and will ramp up today. Gas stations were empty a few days ago but since there is nothing interfering with the wholesale supply it seemed that every station was resupplied. Bottled water is gone, although it wouldn’t surprise me if truckloads of it get delivered to the stores today.

I did go shopping yesterday, bought cashews, M&Ms, TP and baby wipes.

Speaking to the hardware store guys, returns are a big issue. For example, they are selling hundreds of generators that they know will be returned. Guys said that they’ll just mark them down to get rid of them. Same for tarps and chainsaws. Haven’t heard this from the grocery stores, but we don’t generally have returns of food stuff that goes back on the shelves, if the store accepts a return they discard the item.

What I don’t have is good rain gear, maybe run by Cabelas today and see what they have.

mold maker
09-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Milk, bread, and water are still in short supply. Everyone is selling batteries and flashlights like crazy. So far no evidence of gouging.

Love Life
09-12-2018, 09:36 AM
I have enough food, plus a bazillion MRE’s. Probably stop here in Georgia and get some candles.

MrWolf
09-12-2018, 10:00 AM
We already have roads closed due to all the rain recently. This storm could put another hurt on us. Last storm lost power for 13 hours. My 5000 watt generator is on porch still from that one. Just installed a 500 gallon propane tank which got filled yesterday. My whole house generator is all set for hookup tomorrow. Should last about a week if needed and then use gas generator. Been through to many storms and loss of power. Live in a somewhat remote area so makes sence to me to be prepared. Good luck.

WebMonkey
09-12-2018, 10:03 AM
we've tried, over the years, to reduce our survival dependancy on commercial fuels.

what i mean is; survive without generators and gasoline, diesel, propane.

not in our daily lives mind you.
;)

just when the juice goes off, no one is wondering how we will stay warm or cook food.

wood heat backup and constant rotation of home canned food.
spring house for the stuff that will eventually thaw out of the freezer etc.

maybe 20 more years and we'll figure it out but we don't have to buy tons of gas every time the weather threatens at least.

:)

Soundguy
09-12-2018, 10:40 AM
That's what makes me crazy. Most people couldn't last 3 days if everything turned to ****. No power, no food, no water, etc. That's why we have a generator with 50 gallons of gas in reserve that runs the well pump, the septic pump, 2 freezers, the fridge (2), the furnace, and of course, the man cave and all casting/reloading equipment.
Don't think it can't happen to you? 2008 ice storm we were without power for 9 days.
It CAN happen. No need to hoard.

yep.. most people / places are 72 hours away from anarchy.

If I was a retailer, I would have a no-return policy except in the case of real honest to goodness 'its broke / doesn't work' out of the box.

koehn,jim
09-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Just as a suggestion most whole house generators can be fitted to run on propane. What some see as hoarding I see as being prepared. I have 2 generators and plenty of fuel and food and water for months. This is earthquake country.

abunaitoo
09-12-2018, 09:08 PM
I have a gen just to keep food cold.
As long as you don't open the door, it stays cold for a long time.
Only need to run it for 1/2 hour to get the freezer cold.
Have propane and burners, propane BBQ grill, a few gas lantern, and a wind up radio.
Two 55gal drums that catch rain water.
Three first aid kits, tarps, rope, duct tape, candles, matches and lighters.
Of course firearms and lots of ammo.
Can food, ramin, snacks, even some MRE's.
I hope I'm ready.

Mr_Sheesh
09-13-2018, 03:28 AM
Good luck to those affected - Stay safe!

10x
09-13-2018, 08:02 AM

Wasn't hording, it was being self sufficient .
My parents had a 2 mile diet. They grew and processed all the food we ate. Prior to electricity and freezer we cooked on a wood stove, had a naptha two burner stove for outside cooking in the summer. Preserved all the vegitables that grew in the garden and had great food all winter.
The bin of potatoes in the cold room was 40" x 40" X72" - potatoes kept all winter.
There were separate bins for carrots, and turnips.
Beets, cucumbers, some beans and small carrots were pickled, some were canned in glass sealers.
Onions are garlic were curred and hung from the rafters in the cool/ dry cold room.
Fruits and berries were made in to jellies, jams, and canned in sealers.
the climate was too cold to grow peaches, plumbs, cherries, crab apples, and apricots - these were a maor purchase at the local grocery store.
My mother made at least 5 different kinds of cheese plus we milked cows and made our own butter.
Over 50% of the crops on the 320 acres went to livestock feed.
Between the garden and the pigs, chickens, and cows we ate very well.
Electricity dropped the ammount of work of preserving, the first purchase was light bulbs for the kitchen, the second a chest freezer, the third, an electric stove. Bread, cakes, and pie came out of that stove perfect every time.
Cabbage got krauted in the fall and in the spring we cut suckers from the maples to use to smoke bacon and hams when we butchered pigs.
Folks did not hord back then. They perpared food when it was plentiful so they would not starve in the winter.
That food never got wasted , there were always families in need in the sping and summer.

texasnative46
09-13-2018, 08:33 AM
To All,

I know that this comment will sound OBVIOUS to some folks but having lived through 4 major hurricanes & helped clean up after others, the time to figure out what you/the family will need in an emergency is NOT when it's immediately needed.

I would suggest that each member make a laundry list of what your family uses for a MONTH & base your shopping list for emergencies upon that list.
Then add drinking water/extra flashlights/batteries/fuel for vehicles & generators/ammo to that list IF you actually need the supplies.
(Last year, my lady/I went through HARVEY & the severe flooding that followed, which was a real mess but I saw people who I knew buying CASES of paper towels/TP/diapers, that were more than sufficient for 6-12 months use.)

Common sense PRE-planning keeps one from making needless purchases in "a panic mode".

just my opinion, tex

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-13-2018, 11:14 AM
These threads always crack me up.
Talking to us boolit casters about being prepped, is surely preaching to the choir.

I suspect every serious boolit caster "always" has a full pantry, as well as enough supplies (like gasoline) to outlast the average US citizen (in a crisis), many times over.

texasnative46
09-13-2018, 01:16 PM
JonB_in_Glencoe,

Perhaps the members of THIS forum but I find it not to be true of all gun forums. = I know several people here in TX who are gun-owners but who are NOT prepared for more than 3-4 days W/O shopping the local HEB.
(Luckily, HEB is usually open before most other businesses.)

yours, tex

Soundguy
09-13-2018, 01:21 PM
These threads always crack me up.
Talking to us boolit casters about being prepped, is surely preaching to the choir.

I suspect every serious boolit caster "always" has a full pantry, as well as enough supplies (like gasoline) to outlast the average US citizen (in a crisis), many times over.

Agreed, especially since the average citizen is 3 days away from starvation.. even moreso if they are in a high population density area.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-13-2018, 07:28 PM
JonB_in_Glencoe,

Perhaps the members of THIS forum but I find it not to be true of all gun forums. = I know several people here in TX who are gun-owners but who are NOT prepared for more than 3-4 days W/O shopping the local HEB.
(Luckily, HEB is usually open before most other businesses.)

yours, tex

Yep, I agree 100%.
I have a couple friends (gun owners) in my town, that if the convenience store ran out of caffeinated pop(soda), they'd be hospitalized or locked up within 48 hours, LOL.

Hogdaddy
09-13-2018, 08:21 PM
I've been through a few, always came out ok. Hunker Down, those who are riding it out & be safe ; )
H/D

mold maker
09-14-2018, 03:26 AM
Well the proof is in the pudding, The big sprinkler is here.

meistermash
09-14-2018, 09:45 AM
Hope everything turns out ok for you affected folks.

RED BEAR
09-14-2018, 01:52 PM
i guess i hord all the time in emergency i wouldn't have to leave the house for over a month. keep enough gas for generator to go for month and keep freezer and cabinets full two ice boxes and water comes from tower so it doesnt go off with power plus have pool full.of water have two gas grills with extra tanks for both. also charcoal grill. have hand rank radios and hand crank small generator to charge batteries. have 3 small dogs for early warning and the fire power so no one takes what i have.

snowwolfe
09-14-2018, 04:09 PM
I could care less if people "hoard". We all have a chance to buy any supplies we might need in an emergency long in advance of any predicted storm.

abunaitoo
09-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Majority of the guys I know wouldn't have a chance if a big one hit.
All firearms owners, but to soft from years of easy living.
I think the majority of people here would not make it.
To many damacrats.
I hope our friends in SC are OK.

snowwolfe
09-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Agreed, especially since the average citizen is 3 days away from starvation.. even moreso if they are in a high population density area.

The average citizen in the USA could use 3 days without food.

pcolapaddler
09-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Hey... I resemble that remark... [emoji849]

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

RED BEAR
09-14-2018, 08:37 PM
i could probably go 3 months without food before it started to show. now i am not fat just pleasantly plump as my wife would say. thats why i hoard to old out of shape and just all around bad health to get out and go hunting or fishing so i better have supplies in an emergency . i don't consider being without power for a few days an emergency.

Mr_Sheesh
09-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Both my knees are messed up badly - I find it a LOT easier to stalk a can of beans, than to catch anything that moves. The beans, I can CATCH. Not "ideal food" but beats no food; I have more supplies in my vehicle than some neighbors have, period. And these are people who went through St. Helens erupting etc. - Some people just don't learn from experience.

mold maker
09-15-2018, 09:33 AM
A co-worker's MIL responded that "It beats a snowball" when asked about a food she didn't especially like. I keep a cupboard full of long-term storage foods that may not be my favorites but will sustain you. Being too old to hunt or make extra trips foraging for food changes your attitude about hoarding.
So far this time, only mild wind and sprinkles have been experienced. Last evening my Daughters family showed up with an air mattress and flashlights. We had movie and old family VHS night waiting for the worst. News reports show a different story several miles to the SE.
The only thing I hoard is family and love. Thank GOD I have an abundance of both.

abunaitoo
09-16-2018, 01:55 AM
I consider a "Hoarder" as someone who finds out a storm is coming, goes to the store and takes everything they can carry. All the water, can food, TP, batteries, beer, generator. Just takes it all.
Then when the danger passes, tries to take it all back.
Living on a rock, in the middle of an ocean, we don't have the option of driving away from danger.
We also don't have the option of driving to get needed supplies.
That's why hoarders here piss me off.
Only good thing is majority of people here are lefties. Sheep.
Our gang have the means to keep what we have.

Mr_Sheesh
09-16-2018, 03:42 AM
There is a lot to the concept that, in this context, a "hoarder" is "someone who got to the store and bought what I wanted to buy, but got it all first, before I could, at the last second", I suspect?

The US is supposedly a free country where we can spend our money as we see fit - Yet in terms of emergency preparedness, seems like a lot of Gov't officials feel anyone not dependent on THEM, is a "bad person" and should be punished, too. (Except for the FEMA folks or at least SOME there, who realize how things ARE and try to get people to pay attention!)

texasnative46
09-16-2018, 10:51 AM
Mr. Sheesh,

I regard a "hoarder" as a person who buys things in quantities that they don't need, have no place to store & really cannot afford to buy. = Like buying a pallet of toilet paper to prepare for a rainy week OR buying a case of cans of pork & beans, IF they don't even like or eat beans.

yours, tex

Love Life
09-16-2018, 11:31 AM
If someone has the moolah, gets there first, and buys all of something up then more power to them. I get madder at the I’ll prepared who become leeches during any time hardship.

Hoarders are hated by the ill prepared and and those who live hand to mouth.

jmort
09-16-2018, 11:44 AM
Agreed. With very little $$$ you can be prepared. Go low tech. Anyone can do it, even on welfare. Just do not wait for the catastrophe and then expect good results.

texasnative46
09-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Love Life,
'
While a free citizen is certainly FREE to buy up things that he/she do NOT need (It's their $$$$.), IMO it's STUPID to buy things up "just cause" if you have no need for the items in that quantity.
(Yesterday evening I went to our local HEB to buy groceries & SAW several people buying HUGE quantities of loaves of bread, flats of eggs, soft drinks, beer, diapers, TP, paper towels, light bulbs, etc. = The check-out lady said that "This has been happening since last night, as a week or 10 days of rain & thunderstorms has been predicted.")

yours, tex

Mr_Sheesh
09-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Panicked people do not always think clearly, seems like. Agreed that some venture into the area of "Retail Therapy" here LOL

texasnative46
09-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Mr. Sheesh,

YEP. = Believe it or not, I know of a couple who bought a huge quantity of diapers in the run-up to a hurricane. Trouble is that they have no kids that are young enough to need diapers. = Their youngest is 13YO.
(Turns out that they were buying off of a "storm emergency preparedness list" & just bought everything on the list.)

yours, tex

Soundguy
09-17-2018, 10:31 AM
The average citizen in the USA could use 3 days without food.

Tell me about it. I had a buddy that went on a cruise, as they left port they were instructed to go to the top deck to observe leaving port and get photos. top deck on that ship was an adult only deck... my buddy told me he saw way way too much of some people....

762 shooter
09-17-2018, 10:57 AM
I live in Myrtle Beach. When I heard about the storm, I panicked and made a list of what I needed to get.

The only thing I could come up with was a ceiling fan light kit.

I do know that there were no spaghetti-os without meat available. Shelves were empty.