PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro Melt Lyman mold guide mod

DAFzipper
09-25-2008, 07:02 PM
After getting the idea from someone on this forum, I also added a Lyman mold guide to my Pro Melt pot. I liked it so much that I had to make it work with all the group buy Lee molds I've been ordering on this site. I had a friend of mine machine a guide to fit the Lyman mount. Drilled out the rivet holding the original and now I can mount either depending on the mold I am using.

Buckshot
09-26-2008, 02:23 AM
..............Very cool. Looks like a clean factory like modification!

..............Buckshot

Shepherd2
09-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Just what I've been looking for.

bobthenailer
09-26-2008, 07:07 PM
i think you may have gotten the idea from me ? as i answered someones question . i made a steel insert to fit inside of the lyman mould guide channel to use the lee 6 cavity mould

seagiant
09-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Hi,
Being an owner of an RCBS Pro-Melt. What was wrong with the OEM mold guide? I use several Lee six bangers and have never had a problem. I actually now prefer it! Just curious! Thanks!

copdills
09-27-2008, 04:20 AM
great idea, looks great good job

DAFzipper
09-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi,
Being an owner of an RCBS Pro-Melt. What was wrong with the OEM mold guide? I use several Lee six bangers and have never had a problem. I actually now prefer it! Just curious! Thanks!

I like the Lyman guide because it helps me keep the filling of my molds more consistent and lowers weight variations a little. It keeps the mold at the same angle to the spout from hole to hole. With the RCBS guide I tend to hold the mold at different angles from hole to hole and session to session. Just one more thing to keep things consistent. Besides, its always fun to try to come up with a better way to cast boolits!

seagiant
09-28-2008, 03:05 AM
Hi DAF,
Well you look like you do good work! I have that same type of mold guide on an old seaco pot I have and it does keep the mold straighter,but since using the RCBS I enjoy the "freedom" of the simple rod support. I sit the front of the 6-banger mold on the rod and then push it "in" at the same angle until each cavity is filled.

Pouring bullets is probably like some other things in life,each person has their own way!

Russel Nash
09-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Okay... I have got a dumb question about that second pic posted above....

Are there actually 3 mould handles there... or am I seeing things?

Is the third one connected to the sprue plate?

I'm new to casting, if you haven't noticed already....

Just wonderin' , thanks...

floodgate
09-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Russel:

That's a Lee six-holer; the third lever operates to cam the sprue-plate outward and cut off the sprues. Cabine Tree makes similar levers for other moulds.

Floodgate

Russel Nash
10-11-2008, 11:16 PM
A-ha... thanks!

Shotgun Luckey
10-11-2008, 11:32 PM
...what Floodgate said.....sure is nicer than wacking it with a hammer

Russel Nash
10-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I used a big ol' screwdriver handle the few times I have tried casting.

It still took some whacks to get that sprue plate open.

So I guess a person could, theoretically take some steel weld it to say their Lyman mould sprue plates and then slip a handle over that to get the same effect??

If they did that, I guess the main thing to look out for is where the welding splatter could go. Don't want to booger up a hole or get it dragging across the top of the mould.

I have yet to start casting with my RCBS pot, so I don't know how much of a hassle fiddling with the factory mould rest will be.

That does look like a clean set up up above. :drinks:

Dale53
10-12-2008, 05:52 PM
As soon as the mould is up to heat and casting well, you can just use your gloved hand to "twist" the sprue plate open. I get nicer bullet bases doing this and it is a LOT easier on the mould.

FWIW
Dale53

Russel Nash
10-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Okay, thanks Dale. I'll have to give that a try.

Nardoo
10-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Russel,
I know that it is advocated that you whack your moulds to cut the sprue or drop the bullet but I do like Dale53 - just use my glooved hands. I hate the idea of banging on my moulds!

Nardoo

bobthenailer
10-18-2008, 05:58 PM
i have 6 saeco 8 cavity moulds and even more 4 cavity moulds and i just like it better, you have to try different systems to find the one that you like the best anything that supports the mould will work some worke better.

Jon K
12-02-2008, 02:02 AM
I have been using the RCBS guide, and like the arrangement, because it allows you to hold the mould at an angled approach as opposed to just straight in.

BUT NOW.......................I am going to be a 1 armed bandit for a while(just had surgery today- bone spur removal & rotator repair). I may be all drugged up with pain medications, but this set up looks like it will allow me to just set the mould on the rack and leave it there without holding it and be able to operate the pour lever with my 1 usable hand. I have a locking type mould handle from BACO, which I can operate with one hand.
I may be down, but not completely out of commission, now is that ADDICTED OR WHAT.................

Good Idea, Thanks DAFzipper......................gotta put my order in now.

Jon