PDA

View Full Version : where should i look for lead?

chewie
09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
ok. i know about ww's from tire shops.

dental x-ray lead.

plumbers shop.

where else would i look in my community to get surplus pure lead?

thanks

chewie

Ohio Rusty
09-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Many keels on small, older sailboats are filled with lead to help keep them upright. A boat grave yard might net you hundreds of punds of pure lead.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Pitmaster
09-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Stained glass windows use lead to hold the glass in place. The scrap pieces might add up. If you know anyone who does this as a hobby you might ask for their scraps. A business may sell the lead but it won't hurt to ask.

mto7464
09-25-2008, 06:56 PM
back stops at ranges, radiator shops.

targetshootr
09-25-2008, 07:35 PM
My roofer take off lots of soft lead flanges and pipes.

compass will
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
You can spend a lot of gas/diesel driving around to find it OR:
buy it here
buy it on ebay
buy it at Midwayusa

visit the recycler and buy it from him.

Gussy
09-26-2008, 11:44 AM
ye olde junk yard (the older the better) and don't forget to ask for tin or babbit.

chewie
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
what is a babbit?

Cherokee
09-26-2008, 02:08 PM
a babbit has long ears and.......really, its a lead tin alloy with high tin content. May also have some copper. Good for upping the castability of lead and adds some hardness.

chewie
09-26-2008, 02:24 PM
ok. i now understand what it is. but where would i find them?

beagle
09-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Several places I've often wondered about.

1) Wonder what happens to the wheel weights swept up by the street sweeper.

2) Wonder where the weight go that are washed off the streets into a storm drain.

3) Then, there's the weights blasted off when a car goes through a car wash.

Those sources would be interesting to find and check out.

Also, many places in the US are removing lead sheathed buried telephone cables and replacing them with fiber optic lines. From my experience, they're not too picky about what's turned in as lead but are very picky about the copper due to the scrap price. Sometimes it's easy to talk the boys doing the work out of a PU load of the sheathing as it's a PITA to load./beagle

flhroy
09-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Chewie, You may be closer then you think to the mother load. We're supposed to have a pretty nice week-end coming up and you're not too far from Yaquina Bay. Go check out the marinas. Hell if nothing else throw out some crab rings while you're looking for the mother load. That way there's a good chance you'll not come home empty handed.

Good Luck and Take Care

Roy

oh ya and let us know how you make out,