PDA

View Full Version : Maven's Day at the Range & the Lee Loader

Maven
09-25-2008, 04:45 PM
I returned from the range an hour ago after a fairly pleasing session with my .243Wiin. (26" bbl., Ruger #1) and Lyman #245496, an 85gr. gas checked Loverin design. My last outing with this CB was a disaster because, instead of using the Lyman M-die after neck sizing my brass in a Lee Collet die, I just seated, or rather, tried to seat the CB's without expanding the case mouths: I was just plain lazy! [Yes, I know the collet die is supposed to eliminate this step, but two of mine don't. I also know that I can machine ~0.03" off the front of the collet to fix the problem, but I'm not a machinist and have no lathe.] Anyway, those results were terrible. On a hunch, and figuring I had nothing to lose by trying something different, I sized and expanded 1/2 the brass with an old Lee Loader, which included an expander and half in a RCBS neck die, followed by the M-die. The powder was WC 820 (what else is new?), 14grs. (thrown) to be precise. The CB was the aforementioned #245496 @ .244" and 2.605" OAL. The results were interesting and confirmed what I suspected about Lee Loaders. To wit, those rounds loaded entirely in the Lee Loader grouped beautifully, i.e., 11 in maybe 1.5" @ 100 yds. with many touching. The other 25 rounds, neck sized differently, but seated via the Lee collet die sizer, were at least twice as large, although 5 clustered in 1" at the same distance (I shot 12 shots "for record" with these.) Btw, I used the same rifle and Lee Loader to load j-word bullets with "Surplus -30-06" powder and an appropriate Lee scoop to put 10 into 1" @ 100 yds. (witnessed) several years ago.

Lee Loaders: I currently have 3, one for the .45-70 (newest); one in the opaque red box for the 8mm Mauser; and the one I purchased used for the .243Win. in the black & red box. I've also noticed that I got better results with both j-word and cast bullets in the 8 x 57mm if I resized the brass via the Lee Loader, followed by the M-die. Indeed, I shot my best group ever two months ago with a 195gr. LBT bullet and 20.5grs. WC 820 with brass so sized (but seated with a Lyman PA die) a few months ago. Although they're slow and somewhat inconvenient to use, they produce superb results. If you try them, I'm sure you'll like them!

mike in co
09-25-2008, 07:44 PM
i have two dillon 550b's, a lee turret, a lyman turret, a lee classic single stage, and 49 LEE LOADERS!
I use the lee loaders for some of my milsurplus rifles when shooting 20-50 round matches.

mike in co

floodgate
09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Mike:

Have you any of the "Zero Error" Lee Custom Engineering "Target Model" loaders? I have, I think, three of these, the most recent in .30-30. (The others are put away; one is .45 ACP and the other is .257 Roberts, IIRC). I have yet to try one of these interesting sets, which are complete with every imaginable accessory: de- and re-cappers, F/L sizer, neck expander, neck reamer, trimmer and chamfering tools, primer pocket cleaner and micometer-adjustable seater.

Fg

mike in co
09-26-2008, 12:14 AM
naw.....just 4 of them target ones.......

222, 243, 25'06 and 30'06

my stock 03a3 gets the 30'06, and shared with the scoped 03a3 for now.

mike

Buckshot
09-26-2008, 01:04 AM
...............I have 5 LeeLoaders left. A 45 ACP, 30-06 (my first), a 7.65 Arg, and don't recall the others. Several years back I did find a brand new target version in 7x57 complete with instructions and a pamphlet sized Lee catalog. It was on the odds n ends table in a local gun shop for $15.

BTW, good shooting Maven! I hope to be able to do some of this casting and shooting y'all talk about before too much longer!

..............Buckshot