PDA

View Full Version : OAL for LEE TL356-124-2R Lead Mold

MarkT9
09-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Can someone tell me what the best overall length my 9mm reloads with a LEE TL356-124-2R cast bullet would be? This is not the truncated cone; it's 2 Ogive, not perfect Round Nose. This is not the Lee 125-2R mold. The Lee Precision part numbers for the mold are 90465 and 90464.

I plan to use it with my Smith & Wesson M&P full size and 995TS Hi-point carbine as well as other guns.

1.125" (with 3.5 of Bullseye) is what I plan to do my first batch at so far.

Please don't tell me to drop it in my barrel, I'd like these to work with other guns too, unless you have specific information that the 995ts has special COL needs. Also please don't tell me my Hi-Point is junk. I'm looking for similar to "factory" length and loads.

Bonus points if you can tell me what manual(s) have load data with COL for this mold's bullets.

I'm looking for someone that has actually loaded bullets with this specific mold (and used them in a 995ts hopefully).

I have read http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121144-OAL-for-Lee-TL356-124-2R, but The author seems to only use pistols, no mention of 995ts. Also the COL of 1.10 is the shortest I've seen in my research so far. That's going to put a lot of the bullet in the case. Also the pictures in that thread are weird (must be the lube) and its really hard for me to see what the finished ammo looks like. Would like to see other pictures of what the COL looks like loaded with the rings on the bullet.

sutherpride59
09-11-2018, 06:27 AM
I don’t have any info but if you haven’t already do a quick search of the forum, there is a ton of information for this mold my friend.

MarkT9
09-11-2018, 06:43 AM
I don’t have any info but if you haven’t already do a quick search of the forum, there is a ton of information for this mold my friend.

My search skills are failing me on this one. Please help a guy out and point me to COL information for this mold if you know where this information is....

09-11-2018, 01:14 PM
1.110 puts your crimp on the last band. It looks right. Chambers perfect in my Glocks (yes, they're KKM barreled) and is accurate as your reloading skills and powder measure will allow. I shoot thousands of these. 1.110 using Alliant BE-86 and Ramshot Silhouette.

gwpercle
09-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Use your gun's barrel as a gauge , drop one in and see if it chambers.
The fact is it must fit into your gun's magazine, feed into and fit your gun's chamber and extract .
Someone telling you to use a OAL that fits his gun doesn't insure it will fit yours.
Test them before loading up a bunch.
Gary

MarkT9
09-11-2018, 02:57 PM
1.110 puts your crimp on the last band. It looks right. Chambers perfect in my Glocks (yes, they're KKM barreled) and is accurate as your reloading skills and powder measure will allow. I shoot thousands of these. 1.110 using Alliant BE-86 and Ramshot Silhouette.

Could you send a clear picture of one of your cast bullets not loaded, and another loaded to 1.110 so i can see what bullet you're using and what the finished product looks like? Both in the same picture so I can see the ratio of how much bullet is in the case too?

MarkT9
09-12-2018, 10:57 PM
I loaded this with 3.5 Bullseye and measure it at 1.128. Seems like there is a lot of lead in the case. It drops all the way down in my ShootersBox case gauge and easily falls back out when tipped upside-down. Wouldn't you expect it to be up a tiny bit in the case gauge? It seem too short to me for some reason, but I seem to have suggestions to go to 1.100. I'd like to assemble a few and try them on my cronograph, but a bit scared on the tiny bit of room for the powder in the case after the bullet is mashed that far in...