PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jackets

LUCKYDAWG13
09-09-2018, 08:45 PM
how can i get rid of a nest of Yellow Jackets they are in the ground I can not see the entrance hole its under a Yucca plant
Me and my wife were doing yard work when i found the nest I got stung in the face and ear my wife got stung allover
I out ran her :mrgreen: any tips on what we can do i was thinking about putting up some of those bag traps

foesgth
09-09-2018, 08:51 PM
The only answer..

LUCKYDAWG13
09-09-2018, 09:02 PM
I would love to burn those little pricks my bites still hurt wife too but fire is out

redhawk0
09-09-2018, 09:08 PM
a cup of gasoline and a match (at night)...works best...but you could try powdered SEVIN. It might not be as fast as you like though. You'll need to dump the powder down the hole at night or you'll be stung all over again.

redhawk

LUCKYDAWG13
09-09-2018, 09:10 PM
The hole is under a plant i cant see it

rancher1913
09-09-2018, 09:11 PM
a can of starting fluid will knock them out as they try to leave the nest and then some wasp spray down the hole

foesgth
09-09-2018, 09:41 PM
You might try flooding under the plant with some soapy water. The soap will kill them. I have a miracle grow sprayer with a hose fitting in the outlet. You could fill something like that with dish soap and attach a hose to stick under the plant. I use Palmolive dish soap on my citrus to wipe out white flies. Do it at night and put on your track shoes.

osteodoc08
09-09-2018, 10:13 PM
There are traps specifically targeted for yellow jackets and wasps. Otherwise I’ve always used the gasoline approach. I like using old 2 cycle gas. Dumping all over the opening and leave me a runner to light it a distance away, although this isn’t the PC or environmentally ideal. Would probably kill your plant too so may not be a viable approach. Doing some fall cleanup around the house and had several wasp nests to deal with today along with fire ants and a few yellow jackets. Gotta love the south. Chiggers got ahold of me when out in the field the other day despite spraying with permethrin.

Nueces
09-09-2018, 10:18 PM
I had a nest right by my well. Home Depot had a spray can of foam insecticide. The advice was to wait until dusk, when the little darlin's had returned home, then fill the hole with the foam, which would urge them forward to the next world when they tried to get through it.

Tried too early the first evening and was encouraged to depart hastily. Next night, I used a flashlight to make sure there were none airborne before commencing the raid.

Worked.

Texas by God
09-09-2018, 10:31 PM
The gasolines of today will barely kill them unlit. I remember the old leaded stuff would kill them on contact. Night time is the best time to attack them. I would dust the Yucca heavily with Sevin and hope for the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LUCKYDAWG13
09-09-2018, 10:46 PM
will they come out at night if i go up to the nest to dust them

Beagle333
09-09-2018, 10:56 PM
They won't come out nearly as bad as in the day, but don't think they can't fly at night. They just don't like to.
No matter what you use, the "sneak up - dash whatever it is on there - and run away" technique works best.

If you can find the hole, I personally like the gasoline down the hole approach. You don't have to light it. The fumes are more dense (heavier) than air and will follow the tunnel and kill them. Burning it off actually lessens that effectiveness. But if you can't find the hole or don't want to kill the plant.... I'd try the dust. I'm just not experienced with how effective it might be.

Tom W.
09-09-2018, 11:25 PM
I walked over a nest several times that was between my shed and the house, but one day I backed my car up to the shed door to load a boat battery and some fishing rods, and soon found out that there was a nest, altho before I didn't know. I guess they took exception to my vehicle. I was stung several times. The neighbor lady across the street saw me and brought over a can of long distance Raid. I waited a few hours, mostly to see if I had any reactions to that many stings, and when the yellow jackets calmed down and it was getting dark I let them have it. They lost.

Lloyd Smale
09-10-2018, 06:02 AM
most of it would probably just get them drunk!
The gasolines of today will barely kill them unlit. I remember the old leaded stuff would kill them on contact. Night time is the best time to attack them. I would dust the Yucca heavily with Sevin and hope for the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MyFlatline
09-10-2018, 06:08 AM
The last nest we had, gas wouldn't touch. Ended up using "Bifen IT" mixed with about 3 gallons of water. Oured it as close to where I thought the hole was and hauled butt. All were dead the next day.

BTW, I also use the Bifen concentrate for mosquito control, works wonders..

lavenatti
09-10-2018, 06:20 AM
The Bifen IT is great stuff, tried it for the first time for mosquitos this year and it worked wonders. I need to stock up before they make it illegal.
Here in NJ the mosquito is the state bird.

The powdered sevin idea will work. Gasoline and fire, while way more fun, is also messy and if they're under a plant you're going to damage it. I have a container of chlordane I use sparingly since it's been unavailable for years. About 1/4 teaspoon in the hole where the yellow jackets are going in and out does the trick in about three days. They walk through it and carry it into the nest to kill off all their cohorts.

Paper Puncher
09-10-2018, 08:06 AM
I have used LARGE amounts of water from the hose to flood the nest and drown them.

owejia
09-10-2018, 08:09 AM
You tube is your friend. Video by Mousetrap Monday on youtube is the best method I,ve seen to get rid of meat eating ground bees[commonly called yellow jackets]. He compares two commercial traps to a home made trap. Worth your time to watch.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-10-2018, 08:15 AM
going to try it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FhifTGKtUQ

Land Owner
09-10-2018, 08:17 AM
PERMETHRIN is the most effective way you can make GALLONS of KILL THEM OUTRIGHT concentrate. Mixed at 0.50% to 2.00% (for a quick knockdown) and sold in 38% concentrate, which when mixed with water will make 9.5 gallons of 0.50% solution, is Hi-Yield 38 https://www.amazon.com/VPG-1744-32oz-38-Plus/dp/B004XDHI2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536581470&sr=8-3&keywords=hi-yield+38

It is the Army's deep jungle insecticide and if it is good enough for them and sold to the general public, it is good enough for me and it WORKS. It burns them without the fire.

owejia
09-10-2018, 08:29 AM
LuckyDawg13 that trap should take care of any other nest in your area too.

GhostHawk
09-10-2018, 08:30 AM
I have had my run in's with those buggers.

Fire is my preferred weapon.

Where you can not use fire I have used a older vacumn cleaner with a steel wand. Turn it on and set it over the hole. You can feel when you stop getting flyers, nothing coming up the tube.

You will likely have to do some careful pruning on that plant to get to where you can see the hole.

A mixture of water and dawn does indeed work. If you have a good mister you can use it as a self defense tool.

I sucked the hole nest into a vacumn once, then sprayed bug killer in it, taped it up and set it in the sun for 2 days. No more buzz.

Use your head, think things through, protective clothing, etc.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-10-2018, 08:39 AM
OK just made a trap even had some chicken meat so i put it about 3 ft from the nest i think i did not see any of them out I hope it
works226904

bobthenailer
09-10-2018, 08:51 AM
I wait until dark & spray auto brake clean into the hole and plug, if it gets on them it will kill almost instantly and the fumes will nock out any surviors

FME brake clean will kill about any bug in a few seconds (except stink bugs they don't even slow down even if sprayed directly on several times!

jmort
09-10-2018, 09:50 AM
I have done this more than once. Simple. Get a can of Wasp/Yellow Jacket spray.
Study the entrance/exit holes in the light of day so you know where to spray.
Spray the entire can down all entrance/exit holes at night.
Next day a few survivors
A few days later, they all gone.
Simple
If you have a small area to protect around the house, put traps out in the spring. The females die before nests are ever started.
The guy in the video is a stud. I could never stand around in near a nest and do testing like he did. Cool as a Cucumber. His method workks. I use the WHY traps in the spring and early summer as they get all the stinging insects. Top chamber for wasps, bottom for yellow jackets. Even the cheap throwaway plastic bag traps fill up with yellow jackets.

ShooterAZ
09-10-2018, 10:17 AM
I also use the simple approach^^^. The long distance "Wasp Killer" spray works well on them. If sprayed on the entrance, the yellowjackets will bring it down the hole and it will kill the entire nest. BTW, around here we call them "Meat Bees". They are a terror when you are trying to dress out a game animal. They gnaw off big chunks of flesh and fly off with it.

jmort
09-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Yes indeed, they are meat bees. The traps do nothing to the nest. Got to get the nest. Had a big problem in the So. Cal mountians. Could not feed the dogs outside as those Son's of Belial would come running right on cue. After determined effort, i cleared them out and could resume outside dog feeding and BBQs. Well worth the small amount of time involved in prevention and killing.

rkrcpa
09-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Very timely info, I have a nest next to the foundation of the house so fire is definitely out. I've already used two cans of foaming wasp spray with little effect. I even tried to cover the hole with dirt but the little ******** dug another one. Looking at rain for the next few days but when things dry up I'll give it another go.

Grmps
09-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Don't set traps unless you already have a problem, a trap will attract pest from other areas

jmort
09-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Very timely info, I have a nest next to the foundation of the house so fire is definitely out. I've already used two cans of foaming wasp spray with little effect. I even tried to cover the hole with dirt but the little ******** dug another one. Looking at rain for the next few days but when things dry up I'll give it another go.

Do not use a foaming spray. I have enough experience to know that a single can will solve the problem. I bet what you have done is enough unless you are 10 days later and no effect. It is not an instant deal, but my experience is 90% plus are gone in the morning and the rest just go away/die within a couple few days. I use the Spectracide Wasp and Hornet two pack from Walmart. "27 Foot Jet Spray." Cheap. The foam may not have penetrated. The jet spray do penetrate.

jmort
09-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Don't set traps unless you already have a problem, a trap will attract pest from other areas

I agree. If you have no problem why do anything. Not to unecessarily argue the point, but so what? They dead. As I said do it in the Spring/ early Summer to get the females. That has been proven for me to greatly reduce the problem with very little time or effort.

country gent
09-10-2018, 01:12 PM
I have used the vacuum cleaner method also. Used a shop vac for it. put 6"-8" of water dish soap in the tank and turn on place hose over hole, we modified a large plastic funnel to fit the hose giving larger opening. suck bees into the vac let run when done for awhile as the bees will need some time to tire and fall into water. a rag may stop them from coming out but the vacuum is for sure.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-10-2018, 03:10 PM
well just went to have a look in hopes of seeing hundreds of dead Wasp well i got 2:violin:

Grmps
09-10-2018, 03:39 PM
When I find them cutting the yard, I wire the mower handle to the ON position and push it over the hole :) fun to listen to and watch.

Was shooting at a friends place a couple days ago and there were yellowjackets and wasps at the end of the table. I ignored them and they didn't bother me. they were more interested in each other. By the time I got done shooting, the wasps were still there but no yellow jackets. I though that was pretty cool. I have worked around wasps for 30 years and never been stung by one (they have bit me a couple times which does hurt a little but no residual like a yellow jackets/hornet sting.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Ok went and picked up some jet spray hornet killer going to give that a try in a few days when I'm off of work
thanks for all the tips wish me luck

frankenfab
09-10-2018, 07:57 PM
I would sacrifice the plant to find the nest, if careful observation in the evening won't enable you to find it. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with warm water. Add Dawn dish liquid till it's to the point the solution has a bit of cling to it. Dowse the nest. It's important to add the soap after the water. You don't want suds. You're making wasp napalm, without the fire.

It suffocates and poisons them at the same time, because their respiratory system works through their skin.

popper
09-10-2018, 08:06 PM
Yea, them buggers in a basement window well - spray and run like they are after you. But I could run fast at 5 yrs old, can't do that now. All I seem to get now is those crazy mud dobbers.

MaryB
09-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Former neighbor had a huge nest, hospitalized one of his kids with over 100 stings. He mixed gas and diesel and dumped it down the holes(4 we could see) then backed off and tossed in a road flare. Had fire coming out of a dozen holes and it did kill them off.

Leslie Sapp
09-10-2018, 10:28 PM
Wait til it's good and dark. One teacup full of gas down the entrance. One shovel full of dirt on top of it. You'll hear a ferocious buzzing and they'll all be dead in less than a minute. No need to light it, the fumes sink and kill everything from top to bottom. I've done this many times, they are a regular occurrence around my place.

sawinredneck
09-11-2018, 04:53 AM
Brakeclean, starter fluid, carb cleaner and if they’re really bad, mix a little styrofoam, diesel and Palmolive dish soap, let it sit overnight, if the styrofoam hasn’t dissolved fully add just a little gas. Pour that in the hole and around the area, it’ll stick to everyone of them! As I understand it they breathe through their bodies and the better things stick and the oiler the mix, the sooner it plugs their pours and kills them.

Ole Joe Clarke
09-11-2018, 09:09 AM
PLEASE DON'T USE GASOLINE AND A MATCH! IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

You can use about a half pint of gasoline to pour in the hole, but no matches! I killed a large nest of them close to our front door several years ago. I finally found the entrance, waited until it was really dark, and used a piece of PVC pipe about 3 feet long with one end at the entrance to pour the gas through. It killed them all.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

bob208
09-11-2018, 01:05 PM
lighting the gas off is ok if you are not a boob and think it out.

then for sport you could get two blocks of wood about 6 inch by 6 inch with handles on the back. then sneak down at night and clap them.

jmort
09-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Pouring gas down a hole is worse than pouring oil down the hole when it comes to your ground water. The permethrin pesticides biodegrade and are used in skin products. Go safe, go smart.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

LUCKYDAWG13
09-11-2018, 02:21 PM
As much as I want to light them up
It's in my front yard under a tree that I really like the yucca plant I could give or take I will try the jet spray tomorrow night and give it a few days to work

jj850
09-11-2018, 09:54 PM
I read on this site a year or two ago. If you can see the hole cover it with a clear glass bowl. the hive will overheat and suffocate. As long as they can see outside they wont dig under or another hole. Never tried it myself but sounds like it could work. I have always used gas and a match.

DCM
09-11-2018, 11:30 PM
Brake cleaner in the hole, on the attacking pests in the air and on any stings.
I don't normally recommend getting it on your skin as it will dry it out Fast, but it dries out the stings really fast!
Just don't get it in your eyes!!! Burns Bad.

corbinace
09-12-2018, 01:17 AM
Marked for reference

RED BEAR
09-13-2018, 02:06 AM
boric acid works like a charm they walk through it and take back to nest eats wings and legs. had a big nest in the eve of house at the back deck tried everything through gas couldn't light it though. all kinds of bee killer sprinkled a little boric acid and gone in a day.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Well me and my son got dressed up like we were going to a Antifa rally and dumped 2 cans of wasp killer on them last night I only
saw a few around today so maybe we got them going to hit them one more time tonight I hope this works

Blanket
09-13-2018, 06:29 PM
oil of peppermint, dawn dish liquid and water kills them faster than anything and won't pollute your ground water. I use a peppermint oil soap but is hard to find. I fill a water fire extinguisher with it and use on hornets as well. As stated they breathe thru there exoskeleton and the soap breaks the ability to stop water, the oil of peppermint causes the solution to burn to keep them occupied and the water drowns them

MaryB
09-13-2018, 09:36 PM
One of these set up shop next to my front door(seem to get one there every year...) and was munching on a wasp when I came in from brewing beer today

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-smo0rFDD96w/T7UR05lcX8I/AAAAAAAAK8U/bfby6Ku-WiY/w1200-h630-p-k-nu/Yellow+Garden+Spider4.jpg

LUCKYDAWG13
09-13-2018, 10:06 PM
I have seen them before what kind is it

frankenfab
09-13-2018, 10:40 PM
Garden spider

lefty o
09-13-2018, 11:02 PM
all these other ideas may work, but get yourself a can of that yard guard. you know the stuff thats shoots about 20's, and a lighter! just dont burn down the house.

OldBearHair
09-13-2018, 11:30 PM
x2 on Land Owner post #20 about permethrin. Use the pump up sprayer turned to full stream and wet everything.. Use it for mosquitoes, and fire ants.. Spray the top of a fire ant mound with straight stream and it will cave in. That shows where to push the wand down into the mound while twisting it. Get rid of 12 or so ant mounds with one gallon of mixture is my experience. Hey guys ,one of those propane gopher getters might work on hornets as well. That is the one that has a long wand hooked up to propane with a piezo lighter. They run the propane in the hole several seconds and hit the button and fire explodes out of several holes. . Check it out on utube as it is fun to watch.. You can tell that some of us are a little uhhh ,, not warped ,,,uhh maybe just a little bent. LOL

RogerDat
09-13-2018, 11:42 PM
I had a nest right by my well. Home Depot had a spray can of foam insecticide. The advice was to wait until dusk, when the little darlin's had returned home, then fill the hole with the foam, which would urge them forward to the next world when they tried to get through it.

Tried too early the first evening and was encouraged to depart hastily. Next night, I used a flashlight to make sure there were none airborne before commencing the raid.

Worked. I was also going to suggest the spray foam. Spray has decent reach and it foams up really fast, blocks the entrance with the insecticide foam. Put a piece of fruit out at night. Watch from a safe distance in the morning to see where the hornets who come and go from the fruit are exiting the plant. Might be able to use binoculars once you zero in on a general area. Then as Nueces describes hit them in a night raid.

The other option depends on how much black powder you have on hand.... and how much you like the yucca plant or surrounding vegetation. Or if gravel falling back to earth might damage anything.
:kidding:

Beagle333
09-14-2018, 02:43 AM
Well me and my son got dressed up like we were going to a Antifa rally and dumped 2 cans of wasp killer on them last night I only
saw a few around today so maybe we got them going to hit them one more time tonight I hope this works

If you can annoy them enough, you'll either kill them or they'll get tired and move. 'Sounds like you took a pretty good toll on them with this raid though. Good luck!

LUCKYDAWG13
09-14-2018, 08:08 AM
I was thinking about dragging a 2x4 across the nest with a long rope to see if anyone is home before I walk up to the nest

jmort
09-14-2018, 08:17 AM
You may have especially vicious Yellow Jackets, but I have found you can approach a nest, close enough to do observation and planning in day light and get real close at night to douse them where it counts with the non-foaming spray. It sounds like the war is already won, but they take advantage of existing holes so the nest may be protected, to a greater degree. I still think the battle is over.

iShoot17
09-14-2018, 08:47 AM
I’m surprised that the trap didn’t work. I saw that video the other day while trying to figure out a resolution to hornets that built a nest attached to our house. It would seemed it worked, with video proof! It’s odd it didn’t work for you. Hopefully it’s been remedied by now and that the 2x4 trick shows they are gone.

RED BEAR
09-14-2018, 09:57 AM
the ones i had you could hit them with the wasp killer knock them down and they would get up and sting you.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-14-2018, 04:18 PM
Well i think i got them I took my catfish fishing pole that has 60 lb test fishing line on it and made a cast into the Yucca plant with a
snag Hook and shook the hell out of it from a safe distance and had my son spot for me just one flew out kinda slow so i walked up to the nest and saw that part of it was out of the hole so I'm thinking that when i was pulling weeds that i pulled part of the nest out
too strange thing not a lot of dead bees around the nest i saw some but not the numbers I was hoping for but still going to give it
a few days before i mow the lawn anyway thanks for all the tips

jmort
09-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Next time will be a piece of cake. The dead ones are below ground.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-14-2018, 08:01 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are need to pick up a bag of dirt to fill the hole up that the dug

osteodoc08
09-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Glad everything worked out. Thanks for the update

frkelly74
09-17-2018, 11:00 AM
I had a nest in the seat of out pontoon boat once. I set a shop vac at the opening to suck in the little devils and switched it on and left it for a while, I went back to pound on the boat occasionally. Then I moved the boat to another location, it worked pretty well. Don't open the shop vac right away though. Gasoline and a shovel and a match after dark also have worked well for me, but not on the boat.

762 shooter
09-17-2018, 11:05 AM
We used to make a cocktail of half gas and half diesel. Pour into hole. Wait 2 minutes. Throw lit ball of newspaper on top. Kablaam!!!

Wayne Smith
09-18-2018, 09:41 AM
I have seen them before what kind is it
Golden Orb garden spider - we have one in the back yard. Glad she is there.

Blackwater
09-18-2018, 06:25 PM
Yellow jackets are as dangerous or probably much moreso than a rattlesnake, and I do not exaggerate here! When I was growing up, and very occasionally since then, we'd read of a farmer on his tractor or a man on a bulldozer hitting a jacket nest, and before they or their slow vehicles could get out of range, they'd swarm him and sting him repeatedly - they're not like honey bees which can only sting once! - and they'd die before anyone could find them or get them to the hospital. And folks didn't carry epipens back then, either.

And it's very hard to avoid their nests. Often, the only sign they have above ground is a small hole that leads down into their nests. I once was stalking along a slope next to a creek, looking for a deer. Thought I heard one and squatted down, and sat there a few minutes. All of a sudden, I felt like a red hot poker was being pressed to the center of my left butt cheek! Then I heard the buzzing! I've never been a really great runner, but I believe I set a record that day. My truck was about 300 yds. away, and I reached it much more quickly than it'd taken for my little stalk. And even at that distance, some of them followed me. I don't know how they do it, but they can do that. BAD BIZZNISS!!!! They deserve more respect and caution than they often get! Insects kill WAY more folks every year than poisonous or constrictor snakes ever could. A statistic worth remembering!

Mr_Sheesh
09-19-2018, 12:36 AM
I have a worse issue - I'm allergic to the evil things. Have an Epi-Pen coming, carry Benadryl always, one sting MIGHT not kill me but 3-4 and I'd be fading out and quitting breathing. I'll pass on that, been there, done that once before. They are indeed a PAIN.

mattw
09-19-2018, 10:25 AM
Had this in my yard last year. By late in the season my daughter and I could get within about 3 feet of the nest before the guards would come check us out. Neither one of us got stung, but my wife and other daughter thought we were insane!
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5316/29929564350_c9290cfcdb_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MALQKy)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5473/22790094248_656b89626c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AHTc2s)

LUCKYDAWG13
09-19-2018, 04:56 PM
so how did you cut the nest down and get rid of all the bees

Mr_Sheesh
09-19-2018, 10:48 PM
If you spray the nest with most anything petrochemical (or apparently other solutions work too) they suffocate; If you had some liquid nitrogen that'd work to, I'd imagine!

WheelgunConvert
09-21-2018, 02:30 PM
it’s an ant poison that is common in mid America. Orthene made by Chevron is a white powder. If you can see one or more of the holes in the ground that they use to enter the nest, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the powder in and around the holes. They will track it in and kill the queen. Works every time inside 24 hrs. I have used a cup taped to a pole when it is an especially aggressive nest.
FYI this is an off label use...understand that you are trying to kill the ants around the holes and the flying critters are just collateral victims.

MaryB
09-21-2018, 10:14 PM
Golden Orb garden spider - we have one in the back yard. Glad she is there.

I have them all over the garden. Drag one in now and then when I pick lettuce. I get them on a finger and carry them back outside because they kill a LOT of garden pests.

ubetcha
09-22-2018, 07:38 AM
I have used one of those electronic bug zapper's placed over the entrance hole. Bought a smile to my face every 'bzzzzzzzzzt' I heard.

1911sw45
09-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Old Orthene forgot about that insecticide. Use to use it for aphids on tobacco. That rotten cabbage smell u ill never forget!

GL49
09-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Had this in my yard last year. By late in the season my daughter and I could get within about 3 feet of the nest before the guards would come check us out. Neither one of us got stung, but my wife and other daughter thought we were insane!
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5316/29929564350_c9290cfcdb_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MALQKy)
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5473/22790094248_656b89626c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AHTc2s)

I can remember when I was 8 or 9 years old my dad took us out back and showed us a nest like that in a bush just off the neighbor's patio. What's kid just have to do? Best throw I ever made from 75' with a green apple off our tree. I had no idea that a nest could hold that many bees. Wowee!! My dad made me march over and tell the neighbor what I'd done, then I was assigned "bee cleanup" after dark that night. I looked like a snowman with a can of RAID in one hand about 9pm. Goggles, head wrap, two pairs of pants, the whole works. I think maybe deep down both my dad and Mr. Hillestad were hoping I'd get stung, I could see the smiles at the corners of their mouths behind the grim faces.
That was my first experience with two range officers that watched closely from the firing line while I checked my target.

Chickens.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-22-2018, 09:31 PM
I was that kid too same age same ammo but i was maybe 10 feet away and slow I dont remember how many times that I got stung
but I got stung a lot

OldBearHair
09-22-2018, 09:52 PM
My cousin Jackie and I were about ten years old and had made a couple of wooden bats about 1/4 inch thick 2" wide and 20" long and named them "Bumble Bee Bats". My Aunt told us to quit fooling around with the Bumble Bees, we would get stung and we would be real sorry. Like GL 49 said, " kids just have to do'. We went to the hole where the bees lived and began to use the bat pretty effecively, until one bee came in from behind Jackie and stung him on the back of the neck. He threw down the bat and headed for the house squalling like a banshee. My Aunt told him "I told you so". Jackie's answer was " I wouldn't have got stung, but he already had his stinger out when he hit me. " That nest in the green tree sure looks like a fish hanging from the tree. Does anyone else see that or am I just seeing things. Maybe a ghost 10 lb bass.

Rick N Bama
09-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Several years ago my Daughter's neighbor had Hornets to build a nest in a shrub near his house. Late one afternoon he decided to take it out by shooting it with a Shotgun. It took about 2 seconds for him to learn that shooting a Hornet's Nest is not the way to be rid of it [smilie=l:

Hossfly
09-23-2018, 09:29 AM
I found a nest in the maple around the garden area, waited for first cold by La. standards 27’ night got on 6’ ladder right under nest with plastic garbage bag in hand, looked up and bout 4 looking at me. Left forthwith, next morning early stuffed rag in front hole and walla, bagged and cut down, bees inside. Now what, blew bag up with Freon, tight let sit for 8 hrs, that ought to smother em, nope still buzzing. Let out said Freon , put bag in freezer 10’, 24hrs later, still buzzing. Sprayed hornet killer in bag, that did them in, nest perfectly preserved. About 50 dead hornet, bodies to mount for display in my gun room, not in house. Everybody visiting jumps back and startled says howed that get there, long story. These were black and white stripes. Most had left nest and went some where else to winter, I think they find hollow trees to winter in.

bob208
09-23-2018, 10:54 AM
well looks like I am going to war with a nest now. can't burn it. it is a hole in the windowsill on the house. went out and soaked it with bee spray. next morning they are back. I guess they are in beep. next idea is to try to fill it with spray foam insulation.

jmort
09-23-2018, 11:14 AM
That may force them in the house. You can use a dust and/or a spray, but they will die. Just be patient.

ubetcha
09-23-2018, 06:23 PM
BZZZZZZZZT. Ultra violet bug zapper works over the hole. Put it over the hole at night and plug it in , in the morning

rockrat
09-23-2018, 08:40 PM
I have used a shotgun on yellowjackets and a big round hornets next, about the size of a basketball. 3" loaded with #9 shot. No problems

MaryB
09-23-2018, 09:27 PM
My homemade boat trailer had a tube across the front that was open. Wasps built a nest in it... went to move trailer, got nailed on the face 5 times... emptied the shot from a shotgun shell, loaded the shotgun and put it one end and fired. In that confined space it was enough to kill them! Blew wasps and nest out the other end!

GL49
09-23-2018, 10:14 PM

Well, I don't have a clue if this attachment will work.

Hmm... guess it did.

Tom W.
09-23-2018, 11:28 PM
I have spiders this year very similar to the fat garden spiders, but they aren't fat. They are big and have very strong webs.

When I bought my first house in Eufaula I was rather young. While walking around in the back yard, which bordered a cow pasture, I notices a hornet nest in the little persimmon tree just across the fence. I'd find a broken piece of brick that the construction workers tried to hide in my yard and quickly throw it and strike the nest, usually putting a decent hole in it. I'd stand stock still and never once did the hornets fly down for revenge. I suspect that because I wasn't moving they may not have realized I was the attacker, or else I was just lucky....

I have used the lawnmower over the yellow jacket hole before. That was before the mowers had those handle cutoff switches. Just parked it there running until it ran out of gas.....

:popcorn:

owejia
09-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Years ago collected those hornet nest, have one hanging from my cathedral ceiling now. After spotting the nest would wait until early fall after weather started to cool down and go out at night using a large thick garbage bag and place the nest in the bag and tape tightly closed and cut the limbs, take home and put in my chest type freezer for at least 3 days to let the cold penetrate to kill the hornets. Spray with clear polyurethane and they stay well preserved. A real conversation starter. People see them and say can you get me one gave several away. Haven't seen any nest in 4 or five years. Have never been stung by a hornet, now bumble bees, yellow jackets and paper wasp are another story.

Mr_Sheesh
09-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Apparently some people who find a Paper Wasp nest by them, have put colored construction paper up next to the nest - Resulting in a brightly colored nest. (Guessing they put one color up, then another, etc. over time? Friend knows more details.) Apparently those sell for decent $$$.

dougader
09-29-2018, 11:48 PM

I had one of these in my basement one year. I was outside and saw yellow jackets flying around the siding of the house. Upon inspection I saw they had eaten a hole through the wood siding and were going in and out.

I went down into the basement and saw that sucker in between the joists for the main flooring. At night I put a big cardboard box under the nest then hid behind the exit door for the basement and emptied one of those cans of wasp and hornet spray that shoots 25' into the nest, starting at the bottom opening and working my way up, saturating the whole thing. I could hear them buzzing like demons inside the nest. Only one of the evil doers made it out of the nest and he fell out, DEAD.

Next day I took a shovel and scrapped off the rest of the nest into the cardboard box and took it to the garbage can. All the suckers were dead.

When I was a kid those yellow jackets would come around and sting me for no reason. Now I kill them on sight. At picnics I get 2 plates of food. One for me and one for the yj's. When their plate is full of buzzing diners, I pull out WD40 and a lighter and light them up.

glockfan
09-30-2018, 10:56 AM
I had one of these in my basement one year. I was outside and saw yellow jackets flying around the siding of the house. Upon inspection I saw they had eaten a hole through the wood siding and were going in and out.

I went down into the basement and saw that sucker in between the joists for the main flooring. At night I put a big cardboard box under the nest then hid behind the exit door for the basement and emptied one of those cans of wasp and hornet spray that shoots 25' into the nest, starting at the bottom opening and working my way up, saturating the whole thing. I could hear them buzzing like demons inside the nest. Only one of the evil doers made it out of the nest and he fell out, DEAD.

Next day I took a shovel and scrapped off the rest of the nest into the cardboard box and took it to the garbage can. All the suckers were dead.

When I was a kid those yellow jackets would come around and sting me for no reason. Now I kill them on sight. At picnics I get 2 plates of food. One for me and one for the yj's. When their plate is full of buzzing diners, I pull out WD40 and a lighter and light them up.

i like the wd 40 trick.it,s the only living entity i want to see suffers lol. however,bees is another story for me.i try to not kill them.

the anti wasp foam works exactly as intended.it kills them in seconds.

WheelgunConvert
09-30-2018, 06:32 PM
Try the orthene method

LUCKYDAWG13
09-30-2018, 07:11 PM
as cool as they look i could not sleep with one of those nest's in my house

rdwarrior
10-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Today I went to Subway to get a couple sandwiches for my wife and I. After I paid and put my wallet back in my pocket, the young lady asked if that was a yellow jacket in my wallet. I looked at her and said What?. She replied with the same question - Was that a yellow jacket in my wallet. I had no clue what she was talking about so I pulled my wallet out, and sure enough there sat a yellow jacket (dead of course - but not squashed) in my wallet. I said hmm put my wallet in my pocket and drove home. I told the wife the story and pulled out my wallet and showed her the yellow jacket. I have no clue how or when that yellow jacket got in my wallet. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. lol

Grmps
10-06-2018, 07:32 PM
A friend and I were mowing and he ran into a nest of yellowjackets. We did what we could avoid that area, loaded up and headed home. shortly we had yellow jacket flying around inside my truck. They had crawled up his pants leg and hitched a ride. I rolled down the windows @ 65+ and got rid of most of them, pulled over and chased out the last few. I'd rather not do that again.

Grmps
10-08-2018, 01:12 PM
Wasps vs Drone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=96&v=osRXVuU9bhE

Down South
10-08-2018, 06:07 PM
My old house was on piers. I was up under it one day working on something, I don't remember what now. I almost crawled under the yellow jacket nest that had built almost 3' long and about 2' wide up in my insulation under the floor of that house.
That was a mess. I started spraying gasoline on it but that only took out the outer layer. I could spray the gas laying on the ground from the edge of the house from a pump up sprayer.
That nest was several layers thick. I wound up getting my frog gig from the barn, Laying back on the ground, spraying gas and breaking up the layers of the nest with the Gig. Had a buddy there watching. I had yellow jackets flying over the top of me by the thousands but never got stung.
I broke the nest up out with my frog gig, kept spraying gas until I had broke it up and ended that problem.
Next thread, wen can talk about those pesky small bumble bees that will chase you for half a mile an still sting you several times. I has a couple episodes with them to with that house.

An old story when I was a young kid. I found my first yellow jacket nest as an observant, the little pests were flying up out of the hole in the ground and entering the hole in reverse order.
I decided to get a shovel and figure out was down there out of that 1/2" or so diameter hole.
I was raised by my grandparents. My gram paw saw me going across the yard with a shovel, And as he should, he asked me what I was doing with the shovel. I told him about the little bee looking critters that were exiting and entering the little hole in the ground and he asked me to show it to him.
Of course he recognized exactly what it was, promptly went to the barn got the gas can and poured gas down the hole then told me to stay away from it.
But you know us kids, I couldn't resist.... The next day when grand dad was gone I got that shovel back out and dug the nest up. All the jackets were dead and the nest was only a couple layers thick.

Mr_Sheesh
10-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Drone seems a fun if pricey way!