PDA

View Full Version : case cleaning?

MontanaS
09-25-2008, 12:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,
Though I have reloaded jacketed ammo for my military rifles for the past eight years I am new to cast loading and shooting. A man in my church took me out today and let me shoot his 40-65 rolling block. After 50 rounds at seven different targets he proceeded to tell me that I was the first one to shoot it in two years and that he was letting me take it and keep it until I decided which direction I wanted to go with buffalo rifles. He then took me back to his house and handed me 100 loobed bullets, 150 cases ( including the ones I had just shot ), primers, dies, powder, and a velocity chart or that rifle with different powder bullet combo's. He told me that all I need to get is a crimping die. Needless to say I was overwhelmed with gratitude and can't wait to get to loading. I do have one question however. I do not have a case tumbler and will need to clean the inside of the cases. I do not doing them individually but need to know what kind of brush to get and what cleaning lube solutions to use. I'd appreciate any and all assistance. Am eager to learn. Thanks.

Dale53
09-25-2008, 12:45 AM
MontanaS;
At the range, right after you shoot, deprime the cases (there are a variety of hand tools to do this easily) and drop the empty, deprimed cases, into a gallon milk jug about 2/3rds full of water with a couple of squirts of Dawn Dish Detergent in it. Let the cases soak all the way home. By the time you get home, most of the work is done. Empty the water out of the jug and rinse several times with clear hot water. I then dump the jug of cases into a plastic kitchen colander (do not use the colander for food use after rinsing cases in it) and shake them free of excess water. You can then spread the cases onto newspaper and let dry overnight. The cases will darken but will NOT be harmed in any way by this treatment.

Dale53

44man
09-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Yep, no more to be said.8-)