PDA

View Full Version : To Crimp or Not to Crimp ?

hylander
09-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I am not new to reloading, just new to Cast reloading.
.45ACP, 200SWC
Is it really nessasary to Crimp ?
I am using RCBS Dies.
If I crimp to .470 - .471 they do not drop right in the chamber, snug the last
.010 or so., seems like the crimp is bulging the case slightly.
Also with the crimp of .471 I get a Lead ring cut "See Pic" which if I run my thumb nail around it comes right off, but the ring means the bullet is getting under sized ( correct ) ?
If I do not crimp, the case mouth measures .471 - .473 and they drop right in the chamber, no lead ring cut.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/hylander7/Firearms/200SWCLeadRing.jpg

HABCAN
09-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Just my two cents, but should that boolit not be a tad deeper in the case? I loaded some like that years ago and every one hung up. Seated 'shoulder flush', no problems.

jimkim
09-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Bell the mouth of the case more. Seat the shoulder flush(as per HABCAN's instructions) with the case mouth. Back off on the crimp. If you are still getting a bulge run the loaded rounds back through your sizing die.

hylander
09-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Just my two cents, but should that boolit not be a tad deeper in the case? I loaded some like that years ago and every one hung up. Seated 'shoulder flush', no problems.

This is the first I have heard to seat them flush, everyone says to seat them a 1.250 and that any shorter than 1.225 causes FTF
I am seating them at 1.245 and they seem to feed fine.

Jim
09-25-2008, 05:49 AM
With all due respect to jimkin, I wouldn't run the loaded rounds through a sizing die. It reduces the diameter of the boolit and when the brass cases springs back out a thou or so, the bullet will be so loose, I've seen some of them drop out. I suggest a Lee taper crimp die.

Maximilian225
09-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Are you crimping and seating at the same time? If so this could be what's causing the lead ring.

The case may be shaving the ring off the lead in the last bit of seating travel. Bell the case a little more and try seating and crimping in two separate operations.

Sometimes the reason they feel snug the last bit going in is that they are crimped too much. The mouth of the case itself is trying to go into the throat instead of stopping on the headspace step in the chamber. Check a loaded round against an empty case dropped in the chamber and see if the loaded round is going in slightly deeper.

The crimp doesn't need to be real tight just remove the bell + a little.

I agree with Jim on not running them through the sizing die. It can swage the bullet down smaller and really hurt accuracy.

:Fire:

hylander
09-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Are you crimping and seating at the same time? If so this could be what's causing the lead ring.

Yes, thats what I figured.

try seating and crimping in two separate operations

I have a Lee Factory Die on the way.

Sometimes the reason they feel snug the last bit going in is that they are crimped too much. The mouth of the case itself is trying to go into the throat instead of stopping on the headspace step in the chamber. Check a loaded round against an empty case dropped in the chamber and see if the loaded round is going in slightly deeper.

I checked that, loaded round is stopping about .010 short, I think the crimping is causing the case to bulge.

Maximilian225
09-25-2008, 11:20 AM
I checked that, loaded round is stopping about .010 short, I think the crimping is causing the case to bulge.

It may just be a tight chamber at the throat and the crimp is bulging it enough to cause an interference fit. It may also be that the edge on the SWC is coming into slight contact with the Headspace step. Seating flush may cure this.

Echo
09-25-2008, 12:42 PM
My dos centavos. Seat the SWC bullet out about 30-40 thousandths. Crimp separately with a taper crimp die.

I have spoken.

hylander
09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
It may just be a tight chamber at the throat and the crimp is bulging it enough to cause an interference fit. It may also be that the edge on the SWC is coming into slight contact with the Headspace step. Seating flush may cure this.

Nope; Checked both, I can seat the bullet out to .460 and it does not hit the Headspace step.

hylander
09-25-2008, 06:59 PM
My dos centavos. Seat the SWC bullet out about 30-40 thousandths. Crimp separately with a taper crimp die.

I have spoken.

I think this is the cure, just waiting on my Lee Crimp Die that I ordered, or I may just go to Sportsmans Wharehouse down the road here and pick up another RCBS Die set and use the Seating Die in it just for Crimping.

Echo
09-25-2008, 07:12 PM
My suggestion was aimed at a Taper Crimp die, not a Roll Crimp. Check the new die set to see if the included seater/crimper is a taper crimper... My experience with SlabSides is that it appreciatess a taper, rather than roll, crimp.

hylander
09-25-2008, 11:39 PM
My suggestion was aimed at a Taper Crimp die, not a Roll Crimp. Check the new die set to see if the included seater/crimper is a taper crimper... My experience with SlabSides is that it appreciatess a taper, rather than roll, crimp.

The Lee is a Taper Crimp Die.

If not I will get another RCBS set

hylander
09-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Got my Lee Crimp Die :-D
Works like a Charm, I set the Crimp @ .470 - .471

Thanks for everyones input