PDA

View Full Version : Place to shoot near Hampton Va?

poppy42
09-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Ok guys I don’t know if anyone can help but can anyone suggest a place were I can shoot my rifles near Hampton, Virginia? The closest range to me is an hour away. There is a gun club near Yorktown, but in order to join you have to be nominated by a member. Witch dose me absolutely no good as I’ve only lived in Hampton for a year and only 3 years in Virginia. I don’t know a lot of people hear. None that belong to any gun clubs or that have any property you could shoot on! At my age, physical limitations, and my fixed income I don’t do a heck of a lo of socializing. It doesn’t have to be a range, I’d be tickled to death to meet someone with property, who liked to shoot/reload/hunt etc.. . Anyway any help, ideas, suggestions, whatever. Would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for any input!

toallmy
09-03-2018, 04:58 AM
If you ever get across the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel I would welcome you to do a little shooting on a piece of farm land with a big sand hill for a backstop . You can shoot out to around 300 yards or as close as you like .

poppy42
09-03-2018, 06:41 AM
I’ll gladly take you up on that we’re abouts? I’m planning a trip to c2 the only local range around here (about an hour+ away from me)

owejia
09-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Lived in Hampton, New Port News area in the late 60's early 70's, while working at NNSB&DDC, and Norfolk Naval Ship Yard. A lot of the older guys I worked with in the heavy machine shop had land but also there were large tracts of land owned by paper pulp companies, and VEPCO. Back then hunted deer with dogs mostly 10 ga db with buckshot. The pulp companies would clear cut, windrow the cut brush and replant with pines. Some of the tracts with power lines were a great place for long range shooting. Raised a lot of peanuts too, squirrels were every where after peanuts were harvested. Am sure the area has changed since then.The rural folks were really great people. Good memories, fishing,rabbit, deer,squirrel, dove hunting. Back then the area was pretty conservative but looks like it has became quite liberal now, if the last elections are any indication.

toallmy
09-03-2018, 09:30 AM
I guess it's around 20 minutes north on 13 after you come off of the bay bridge tunnel , my busy season at work is coming to the end + the weather will soon cool down a little so shooting will be more pleasant .:-D , be glad to have you for a visit doing a little shooting .

toallmy
09-03-2018, 09:36 AM
There is some large sections of public property set aside in your area also , possibly check with the fish and wildlife service you might find a public range near you . I find the game wardens very helpful .

rockrat
09-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Go to the meeting and explain your situation. We have the same thing at our club but circumstances can override the requirement. Being a former member in good standing at another range might carry enough weight

poppy42
09-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Go to the meeting and explain your situation. We have the same thing at our club but circumstances can override the requirement. Being a former member in good standing at another range might carry enough weight

I tried that. I contacted the club and was told no exceptions. And at $500.00+ a year dues, it’s a little pricey for me to travel 30 min and use a 100 yrd rifle range on there schedule.

Skirmisher
09-03-2018, 02:27 PM
You might try looking at the Airfield Shooting Club in Wakefield, VA.
airfieldshootingclub.org
It has separate 50 and 100 yard covered ranges and is very reasonable in requirements and price. It is part of a 4H club facility which is very nice.

poppy42
09-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Thanks I have looked into Wakefield, unfortunately it’s still over an hour away from me. Maybe I’m spoiled, when I lived in Florida I could drive for 5 min and shoot all day. Same in upstate New York. Even in my youth when I lived on Long Island I was 20 minuets away from a range. Were I’m at now any of the rifle ranges I’ve found are over an hour away. Devoting 2/3hrs of Drive time just to get to and from a ranges, not to mention setup and take down, kind of eliminates a spur of the moment range trip. Ya kinda have to make a day of it. Drive for an hour+, set up, shoot for an hour, pack up and drive home. What do ya do if ya get there and the weather turns bad? Plenty of indoor pistol ranges. Rifle ranges? Not so much. I could go to VA. Beach ( colonial shooting Academy ) and shoot my AR at 15 yards but that ain’t my cup of tea. I’m way too old to be tacticool. And that doesn’t help me with my 30.06. I guess my best bet is someone like “ toallmy” who has property
And is willing to share.
Anyway thanks for the input guy’s I’ll keep looking

rockrat
09-03-2018, 05:48 PM
If it wasn't so expensive, I would still go. Maybe someone there would sponsor you right then

RED BEAR
09-03-2018, 11:02 PM
I would suggest checking the local gun stores for info on local ranges. Thats how i found the one i belong to. And it was only a couple miles away. I am up near richmond airport so i would be to far also. Good luck.

Wayne Smith
09-04-2018, 08:59 AM
There used to be a range in the hunting area west of Williamsburg. Haven't been there in years, but it was run by the state.

salty dog
09-04-2018, 12:42 PM
It's Chickahominy Wildlife Management area. Not open in the summer but it's a nice place. About halfway to Richmond from Hampton.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wma/chickahominy/