PDA

View Full Version : Nose Punch listing for Lee molds to use in RCBS LAM-II

DonMountain
09-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Has anybody compiled a list of RCBS/Lyman cast bullet profile nose punches that fit the LEE Molds? When I get a new LEE mold I always seem to be searching around to see if any of my other mold nose punches will work. I am using an RCBS LAM-II for sizing and lubricating my castings.

Rcmaveric
09-02-2018, 03:56 PM
http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-library/top-punch-references

As close as you can get and even then it is not always a perfect fit. I highly recommend the hot glue fix. Fill up an extra punch you have with hot glue. Then put a little spit on the bullet nose. Press it into the hot gently. And voila, custom nose punch that won't put a ring on your bullet nose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jaysouth
09-04-2018, 09:20 PM
If you have access to Lyman 4th Ed. casting manual, there is a crossover chart in the back.

DonMountain
09-05-2018, 03:44 PM
If you have access to Lyman 4th Ed. casting manual, there is a crossover chart in the back.

I do have the New Lyman 4th Ed, but never looked all the way in the back of it. I will have to go get it off the shelf and take a look. I have been using it way more than my old Lyman 3rd Edition since it has way more loads for more modern powders. Although I still can't find any 4759 powder in the store anymore.

Rcmaveric
09-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Sr 4795 was discontinued.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tom W.
09-05-2018, 11:40 PM
I had Buckshot make a flat nose punch for me and use it for everything.

gwpercle
09-06-2018, 01:49 PM
With Lee moulds there may not exist an exact fit.
Get one that is close and use J-B Weld Epoxy glue or Epoxy Putty with the Lee boolit , to make a custom exact fit. You will find a chart but they are not all an exact or even close fit....should be but aren't.
If a boolit has any kind of flat spot , the absolute best is a flat punch. It works better than anything !
Fill a punch with epoxy , let set up and sand dead flat....I've even used a flat punch to size round nose boolits.
Gary

PS. Somewhere on this site is a nose punch chart...in the stickies , but I don't remember the exact section....May be this one!