PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL358-158-2R

Jtarm
09-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Anyone casting with this mold? What as-cast diameter are you getting with what alloy?

Looking for a .38 RN I can tumble lube & load as-cast. I’ve read some of the Lee TL molds actually drop em little large.

My allow is 98-2 range scrap + 2% Sn.

Dieselhorses
09-01-2018, 11:34 PM
I get .358 thereabouts with same mold but in SWC. To get what Lee says a mold will produce make SURE your mold closes all the way and you don't have the slightest debris in between both sides. If you start noting a "seam" on your bullets, this is a tell tale sign of what's happening. Lee's instructions that come with there molds can be a little contradictory as far as sizing is concerned. One sure way of knowing that you can cast, lube and load is to slug your barrel.

tazman
09-02-2018, 05:46 AM
I use that mold and get .358 with range scrap. It works a treat in my 38 special revolvers as cast and tumble lubed with White Label X-lox.
You can tumble lube any boolit that has some sort of lube grooves.
I have also tumble lubed my Lyman 358311 which also drops at .358 for me.

Jtarm
09-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Thanks.

bedbugbilly
09-02-2018, 06:19 PM
I'm using the SWC version as well - mine drop .358 - .359 form range lead that I get form members on here - I'm sure the alloy varies but I've had no issues with mine - TL in paste wax / alox. My mold drops 'em like butter and I have never sized them - one of the most accurate boolits I have for my 38s.

I'll ask the question - what are the throats of your revolver measuring at? I have had some .360 molds (not Lee but actual .360 Ideal/Lyman molds) that I have cast in and shot as cast tumble lubed with no issues in any of my 38s. The bullet is only going to be as big as your throats when it enters the bore, so take that in to consideration as well.

redhawk0
09-02-2018, 06:27 PM
I get .358" with that mold and straight COWWs. I tumble lube (2 coats) with 60/40 LLA/Mineral Spirits. No leading but...I'm shooting from a snubby 2".

redhawk

Jtarm
09-02-2018, 09:52 PM
I'm using the SWC version as well - mine drop .358 - .359 form range lead that I get form members on here - I'm sure the alloy varies but I've had no issues with mine - TL in paste wax / alox. My mold drops 'em like butter and I have never sized them - one of the most accurate boolits I have for my 38s.

I'll ask the question - what are the throats of your revolver measuring at? I have had some .360 molds (not Lee but actual .360 Ideal/Lyman molds) that I have cast in and shot as cast tumble lubed with no issues in any of my 38s. The bullet is only going to be as big as your throats when it enters the bore, so take that in to consideration as well.

.358. I just reamed them.

Thin Man
09-03-2018, 07:59 AM
I use this mold with WW alloy and have never taken the time to measure an "as cast" boolit. In spite of that, every boolit I pass through the sizing die gets "cleaned off" all the way around the boolit body from the die. That said, my "as cast" boolits must be larger than the 0.358" diameter of the die. YMMV.

fecmech
09-03-2018, 09:28 AM
I've owned both the 2R and SWC in the TL designs, both dropped larger than .358. That said I sold the 2R because the SWC was more accurate in 4 different guns. The Lee TLSWC does not cut as clean holes as other SWC's but it is an accurate design and perfect for the .38spl and lighter .357 mag loads.