PDA

View Full Version : has anybody shot cast through a kdf system

Chad5005
08-31-2018, 11:47 PM
ive got a browning eclips hunter in 308 with the adjustable kdf system on it and wondered if cast would fowl it up

Tripplebeards
09-01-2018, 12:19 AM
I have kdfs on my 300 and 375 rum and a factory brake on my RAR 450 bushmaster. The brakes are larger in diameter than the barrel so a boolit in theory would not touch it on the way out. Kinda like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. I think what would/might cause an issue is magnaporting where holes are drilled into the barrel so when the boolit passes it scrapes along the open gas ports (holes).

I think the only way you'd have problems is when your Muzzel Brake or porting is incorporated into the barrel design...same diameter as the barrel, and not a screw in type that the inside is a hair bigger in diameter that's threaded on letting the boolit freely pass through when fired.

I have shot 100's of cast through my ruger RAR 450 bushmaster and no issues...there won't be because the brake on the end is a lot bigger than the diameter of the rifle bore.

The only issue I could see jacket or cast is that if a bullet keyholes it could grab the brake on the way out because the boolit is too small in diameter and starts to tumble. I've Never heard it ever happening with a brake, probably because they are only an inch long and the boolit would make it out before it starts tumbling but I have heard of blowing suppressors off or wrecking them because of this issue.

Chad5005
09-01-2018, 12:28 AM
im going to try it but did know if others had,i hate that kdf because it makes the gun way to loud in the stand at 2800-2900 fps

Tripplebeards
09-01-2018, 12:33 AM
Yep...I have thread protectors on my mine and removed the brakes. I've bled out of my ears from not wearing protection on a hunt years ago. I'll deal with the kick. Muzzel brakes work but if you can't handle the recoil your better off buying a smaller caliber. There's no kick to a 308 to begin with. It was just a marketing ploy in Brownings part. I won't buy any guns with brakes on them now. The stupidest thing is a brake on an AR. Wimpy round with no recoil to begin with. I have a 14.5" POF P415 that is the most obnoxious thing you've ever heard. It can't be shot without muffs. If it wasn't pinned and a law stating it has to be welded perminately because of the barrel length I would have drilled it out and tossed the brake in the garbage and put a cap in it as well.

I'm going to start hunting with my razor muffs when I predator hunt with my AR or I will leave the gun at home.

Chad5005
09-01-2018, 01:17 PM
ill have to pull mine and try it,i love the gun,its got the best feeling thumb hole stock on it,but I cant stand the noise

Tripplebeards
09-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Remove the brake and buy a $10 thread protector.

Chad5005
09-01-2018, 03:26 PM
ordered the thread protectors they were a odd size 9/16-24 and had to have 2 to make up the 1 inch the barrel was threaded for the kdf

sutherpride59
09-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Yep...I have thread protectors on my mine and removed the brakes. I've bled out of my ears from not wearing protection on a hunt years ago. I'll deal with the kick. Muzzel brakes work but if you can't handle the recoil your better off buying a smaller caliber. There's no kick to a 308 to begin with. It was just a marketing ploy in Brownings part. I won't buy any guns with brakes on them now. The stupidest thing is a brake on an AR. Wimpy round with no recoil to begin with. I have a 14.5" POF P415 that is the most obnoxious thing you've ever heard. It can't be shot without muffs. If it wasn't pinned and a law stating it has to be welded perminately because of the barrel length I would have drilled it out and tossed the brake in the garbage and put a cap in it as well.

I'm going to start hunting with my razor muffs when I predator hunt with my AR or I will leave the gun at home.

Trust me if you shot 3 gun you would greatly appreciate a good muzzle break for such quick style of shooting or 3 round burst. You would be surprised firing 3 rounds in less than a second how much that darn thing takes off on you for such a tiny little 5.56mm bullet.