PDA

View Full Version : Loctite and moulds...

mattw
08-31-2018, 03:28 PM
I have a Lee mould that has had the top shaved off to repurpose to another gun. I cannot keep the shoulder bolt tight that holds the sprue plate on. If I bottom it out it is way to tight and when it is just right opening and closing the plate causes it to back off. So, I need a drop of loctite. But, what number does one need to hold up to the heat of a mould?

Insight please!

Thanks Matt

too many things
08-31-2018, 03:49 PM
there is NO lock tite that will work at that temp

mattw
08-31-2018, 03:54 PM
Ok.. so I guess I will try to drill and tap in a set screw.

KenH
08-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Yep, drilling 'n tapping a set screw is the way to go. I think Lee is dropping the ball by not having the setscrew in his molds from start. How much extra could it cost?

jdfoxinc
08-31-2018, 05:03 PM
Or a thin spring washer.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Someone a while back suggested wrapping the screw threads with steel wool and running it back in. Cheap enough to try anyway.

I've mentioned this several times...but I will admit that I've never tried it. The risk is that you could wreck the threads in the aluminum block, so I wouldn't do it to a custom Lee mold or a rare Lee mold that I valued and couldn't easily replace it with a $16 new Lee mold.
that's my 2¢.

Houndog
09-17-2018, 06:32 PM
just drill and tap for a setscrew and be done with it! I use a 6/24 setscrew and it's the first thing I do to ALL Lee moulds that come into my posession, 2 or 6 cavity!