PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Good results in 303 Enfield using cast boolits

Adam604
09-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Good results at last...

I've been trying to work up a cast boolit load for my 1942 Lithgow Enfield...

Slugged the barrel and measured .312

It shoots J bullets just fine, but until now I have had a hard time even getting holes in the target at 25 yards with cast.

I am using a Leemented and Beageled Lee CTL312-160-2R tumble lube 2 cavity 160 gn Boolit

I use a straight WW and drop from the mold into a water bucket.
Sort bullets (only getting about 30% good)

I use LLA and let dry then size in a .314 Lee sizer die, lube again with LLA and dry.

I neck sized the cases using a Lee .303 die.

CCI large rifle primer.

I tried 4 different powder charges of Unique this time ( 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5 grains) and loaded two groups:
5 each powder charge with out (COW)
5 each with Cream of Wheat as a filler (COW)

The COW was compressed a bit as I filled it a bit past half way up the neck of the Cartridge.

I loaded the bullets to crimp at the last groove.

I had time to shoot yesterday. The target in the photo was at about 25 paces

The results... Well see the attached photo.

This board has provided me with a wealth of info to be able to get good results with cast bollits. With out your help I would have given up trying to get a rifle to shoot cast.

I have had great results with cast in pistols and shotguns,

docone31
09-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!
I know your journey REAL well. My Lithgow and lead is a loser. Big time.
However, with paper patching, and I strongly reccomend trying it in your Lithgow, is waaaay more accurate than jacketeds at 100yds.
Untill the barrel heats up and starts excersizing, I get very satisfying groups.
Here are my load specs,
Winchester .303 British brass,
Lee C312/185R mold, non beagled.
No gas check,
Sized to .308,
Three wraps of Meade Tracing paper,
37.0gns 4895,
Winchester Large Rifle Primers.
At 100yds, I got a 3" group untill the barrel got hot. Then the point of aim went where it wanted. I am going to bed the barrel. It has to be bedded in three points, at the reciever, solid bed, at the mid mounting screw, on the sides to 7lbs, and at the muzzle, under the muzzle with 7lbs upwards pressure.
http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/ti18.htm
I have done this before, and it works.
I use PC8 steel filled epoxy.
When loading jacketeds, I use .312, not .311. Makes a BIG difference in point of aim and repeatability.
What I have done so far,
When you clean the bore, look down the bore. You probably have chatter marks. The barrels were apparently hammer forged. The marks look that way, either that or I have an off arsenal barrel.
I took my Lee C312/185R mold, sized it down to .308 and did two wraps of Meade. I got .312. Not enough. I had 20 loaded round and did not feel like pulling and redoing. I took some 400 lapping grit and just lightly wiped the grit on the exposed paper.
These I fired first yesterday.
I then fired 20 of my .3135 loads. First round, dead where I had my scope centered for milspec ammo. Dead on, second and third, same place.
I have not used lube on the paper.
At .3135, I show no pressure signs with that load at the primer level. I have also gotten more than five reloads from the cases. No sign of traditional case head seperation. I am going to load them again with no rejects. Winchester cases are much thicker than the Wolf I have been using. I expect they will last longer.
I cleaned the bore last night. The hammer marks are gone, and, the rifleing is sharper with no feathers! I even had copper streaks at the muzzle, rather than what was before.
I have NEVER, NEVER, gotten anything like your groups with sized castings. I have almost torn out what hair I have left trying. I went to paper patched and my *** is again my favourite.
I doubt it will ever be anything I can win anything with. I do like the way it shoots with paper, and .312 jacketeds.
Williams makes a reciever sight for the Smelly. I am going to put one on my wife's.
Perhaps with my bore in the condition it is now, I might, might have gotten groups like you have been able to do. You have certainly done your R&D on that one. I know that for sure!
Job well done.
Try some paper, and watch what happens in that rifle. I am still doing backflips. Even the benchresters yesterday came over and took notice when they were done shooting.
Those Lithgow rifles are a thing of beauty.
Well done!