PDA

View Full Version : Angry blue jay....................

WILCO
08-31-2018, 12:19 PM
Was making a racket this morning.

I completely agreed with him while making my coffee.

Tatume
08-31-2018, 12:43 PM
Around here that often means a snake or a cat. If a bunch of them get involved, it's usually a snake. That's when I investigate; I like snakes.

Wag
08-31-2018, 12:45 PM
I like snakes.

They're very good with a light batter and fried.

--Wag--

owejia
08-31-2018, 12:46 PM
Blue Jays are the alarm system for the woods here, listen for the Blue Jays to know when the deer were getting close.

bikerbeans
08-31-2018, 02:50 PM
The last angry Blue Jay i heard about ended up pitching for the Astros.[smilie=1:

BB

country gent
08-31-2018, 07:21 PM
My Grandmother had a blue jay that would fight with it reflection in her bedroom window almost every morning one summer.

Hannibal
08-31-2018, 07:24 PM
I've found Blue Jays to be rather obnoxious. At a feeder, they'll run all the other birds off. They'll steal eggs given opportunity. They're about as smart as a Crow, so if one is causing trouble then you've got you're hands full.

YMMV

rl69
08-31-2018, 07:49 PM
Osuna ? I haven't been impressed so far

Hannibal
08-31-2018, 07:53 PM
Osuna ? I haven't been impressed so far

I guess you're gonna have to tell me what this means, as I've no idea.

starnbar
08-31-2018, 07:58 PM
I got crows around me and there isnt anything that goes past my property that they dont tell me about I feed em a little so they stay around better than a watchdog sometimes.

Der Gebirgsjager
08-31-2018, 08:17 PM
Hope this isn't a hijack, it's not meant to be, but it's about a squirrel. I feed the little beggers every morning, along with bunch of mourning doves, ring neck doves, purple finches, and chipmunks. So yesterday I was a little late. I filled up the water trough and put out the sunflower seeds and songbird seeds. I put a cup full of sunflower seeds on the little platform that the former owner affixed to the trunk of a lodge pole pine. I had just dumped the seeds on the platform, when Earl The Squirrel appeared from the opposite side of the trunk occupied the platform, and proceeded to scold me. Kind of a very high pitched "cheee-cheee-cheee", then he (she) showed me his little rodent front teeth. He looked really crazy and I got to thinking about rabies, so I slowly backed away and left him as the winner.

Finster101
08-31-2018, 08:31 PM
I do not like Blue Jays. They will run everything else off if they can. While it's illegal for me to shoot them here, I sure try to make their life hard enough that they move on.

Mal Paso
08-31-2018, 08:39 PM
The Stellar Jays here are the noisy ones. You almost never hear a Scrub Jay but when one shows up at the feeder the Stellar Jays leave. The Stellar Jays are all talk. LOL

frkelly74
08-31-2018, 09:08 PM
I do not think rodents can carry rabies. They can leave a nasty enough mark though. You were late and got scolded for it.

rl69
08-31-2018, 09:09 PM
The blue jay that came over to the Astros
I should have included bikerbeans post

OldBearHair
08-31-2018, 10:30 PM
In the year 1946 in Arkansas, my uncle Sam had a corn field very close to the house. We were visiting and I had my .22 Stevens single shot rifle with me. He asked me if I knew how to shoot it well and I didn't know how to answer. He wanted me to sleep on the porch and shoot the Bluejays in the corn early in the morning. Had a box of fifty rounds. We picked up over 40 birds and my Uncle declared that I did know how to shoot. Back then if you had a problem with vermin, just shoot-em.
Some critters are carriers of rabies not showing signs of rabies, but you get bit by one remember you are not immune, so get the shots . They are not bad at all now as the shots in the belly were in the past. Been there, done that. At least do the research.

country gent
09-01-2018, 11:21 AM
be late with a welfare recipients handouts and see the scolding you get.freebies handouts bring out this

trapper9260
09-01-2018, 11:53 AM
I have both, blue jays and cardinals here.Once in awhile you see them not far from each other. Very seldom they would give each other heck. I have a pair of each here.Beside other birds. I like to watch the both pairs here. As for squirrels the give the cardinals heck at times. But they are fair game for me.

dale2242
09-02-2018, 07:55 AM
I feed the birds on the ground by broadcasting the seeds.
A number of different species feed in the area.
The jays, Stellar and Scrubs both, show .
The Stellars typically come in bunches of up to 10 birds and keep the others at bay until they are done eating...dale

rockrat
09-02-2018, 11:08 AM
I get a few Scrub jays and maybe one Stellars jay during the Winter. I will feed them a handful of peanuts every day and watch where they hide them. fun to watch as one will hide one and another will come along and steal it. Definite pecking order in their group. If I haven't fed them yet, they will follow me around the yard, complaining, until I get back to the house and feed them.
Once the peanuts are gone, they go somewhere else.
I find hidden peanuts all around the yard.

Brokenbear
09-02-2018, 04:47 PM
I am quite certain that in another life ...my mother in law was a Blue Jay!

Bear

chuckbuster
09-03-2018, 10:05 AM
I am quite certain that in another life ...my mother in law was a Blue Jay!

Bear

Blue Jay or Red Squirrel??

10-x
09-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Jays here are very civil, don’t fight and run doves or red birds off feeder. Red bellied woodpecker does, no bird will fiddle with them. Have tree rat proof bird feeders but 2 feeders for the regular tree rats and the night one, “ flying tree rats or sugar babies. Yea, tree rats get irate when their sunflower seeds are not out by 7 AM. Cuss me if late too. Jays are curious, watch me when in shop and working just outside roll up door. Named 1”Jethro”, don’t know if male or female but surprisingly nice bird. BTW, all of them are well fed, fat and happy.

wv109323
09-05-2018, 11:58 PM
The blue Jay's are not welcome around my place. They peck my apples and cause a lot of damage. They seem intelligent as they learn quick about a 24" metal rod protruding from a window or doorway.