PDA

View Full Version : How Much Lube in a Lyman 504617

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-30-2018, 11:32 AM
I posted this in the cast boolet forum but got no answer so I;ll try here.

I recently purchased a CVA Wolf with a 28 twist and a Lyman 504617 mold and need to know if I should lube just the lower lube groove or both the lower & upper larger groove.
Seem's like it would be a lot of lube in the upper part to me.
I'm useing 50/50 Beeswax & Crisco

What say you all ?

mooman76
08-30-2018, 11:53 AM
I never have lubed them as you would regular cast bullets. I just wipe some on before I load. A little messy but it does the job. Saying that I would think one lube groove should be plenty. I never have figure out why they make the grooves so big, just a waist of lube to me. I can see the grooves being deeper than conventional bullets but IMO they went way overboard.

Buzzard II
08-30-2018, 12:40 PM
The lube grooves are there to be lubed. Lube them both. A lube "star" around the bore is good. Lube helps to keep the fouling soft and easier to clean. You may also experiment with different lubes, both home made and store bought. I use SPG in a Lyman Luber Sizer. Good shooting.
Bob

Larry Gibson
08-30-2018, 12:52 PM
As also posted on the Cast Bullet forum......

I cast my 50 cal Maxi-Balls in a TC mould of 16-1 alloy because I push them at "magnum" velocity (1575 fps) out of my TC Blk Mtn Magnum with 28" twist. For BP or replica powder (have used several kinds over the years and now prefer fffg Triple 7) I lube the bottom groove only. It is large enough to carry sufficient lube for either type of powder, even in the dry arid Arizona weather. I mostly use my own lube (beeswax/olive oil at 5/4) or 1000+ lube. Both work equally well giving excellent accuracy with no leading. When hunting I have one load down the pipe and 5 more in speed loaders. Here is a 6 shot group fired at 100 yards w/o cleaning or wiping between shots.

BrassMagnet
09-04-2018, 06:41 PM
The lube grooves are there to be lubed. Lube them both. A lube "star" around the bore is good. Lube helps to keep the fouling soft and easier to clean. You may also experiment with different lubes, both home made and store bought. I use SPG in a Lyman Luber Sizer. Good shooting.
Bob

I'm heading in this direction.
Do you use a.504 sizer or a different size?

BACKTOSHOOTING
09-04-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm heading in this direction.
Do you use a.504 sizer or a different size?

Haven't used a sizer, Right from the mold and results are very promising. 2" at 50 YDS and 6" at 100, 80gn 777 2f. lubed with 50/50 Beesawx and crisco finger lubed with some in the large groove.
Need to let my shoulder heal for more testing.
Not sure if a sizer will work as the lower band is .501 middle is .502 and the top is .503
Only the top band seals in the barrel.

Chill Wills
09-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Why not fill all the grooves? Maybe the large deep grooves hold more than will be needed but the Lube holds open the grease grooves (hydraulics) and keeps the bullet from deforming when the big red light comes on behind it.

Equal parts of bees wax, Crisco and veg oil (like Canola oil) make a "just right BP pan lube" for the big ML bullet like BrassMagnet ask about. I use a slighter harder lube for BPCR bullets (Eagle Lube).

This pan lube does not require and special tools. Just pour the lube over the bullets in a small pan and when cool, push out by holding a row off the edge of your work table. Bullets come out perfect. No excess lube where you don't want it and full grooves where it is needed.
One advantage of pan lube over a lube/sizer is being able to lube tapered bullets or two diameter bullets like ML bullets and get the lube exactly in the right places and none elsewhere.

I put my lube in an old coffee pot and melt it with the warming burner. Never too hot and a clean place to put back the lube cake when you are done and remelt for later.