PDA

View Full Version : How Much Lube in a Lyman 504617

BACKTOSHOOTING
08-29-2018, 03:44 PM
I recently purchased a CVA Wolf with a 28 twist and a Lyman 504617 mold and need to know if I should lube just the lower lube groove or both the lower & upper larger groove.
Seem's like it would be a lot of lube in the upper part to me.
I'm useing 50/50 Beeswax & Crisco

What say you all ?

mdi
08-30-2018, 11:56 AM
Not a BP shooter here so I won't be of much help. What would be the downside of too much lube (both grooves)? Same with too little lube (one groove)? Personally I think I'd start off with a few with both grooves filled and a few with one filled and shoot 'em. Any leading? Gooey mess?

Larry Gibson
08-30-2018, 12:38 PM
I cast my 50 cal Maxi-Balls in a TC mould of 16-1 alloy because I push them at "magnum" velocity (1575 fps) out of my TC Blk Mtn Magnum with 28" twist. For BP or replica powder (have used several kinds over the years and now prefer fffg Triple 7) I lube the bottom groove only. It is large enough to carry sufficient lube for either type of powder, even in the dry arid Arizona weather. I mostly use my own lube (beeswax/olive oil at 5/4) or 1000+ lube. Both work equally well giving excellent accuracy with no leading. When hunting I have one load down the pipe and 5 more in speed loaders. Here is a 6 shot group fired at 100 yards w/o cleaning or wiping between shots.