PDA

View Full Version : Help

xbeeman412
08-28-2018, 10:15 AM
The Dr has me on Gapapen sp for nerve pain in the fingers and hand.It has been under control
until 5 am and the pain went to 10. This is after the C6 C7 surgery.

Do any of You know of a better med beside the Gapaten?

Thanks and keep Me in Your Prayers

Preacher Jim
08-28-2018, 10:24 AM
No but we are asking the one who heals on your behalf.

OldBearHair
08-28-2018, 10:48 AM
One thing comes to mind and that is a leisure soak in fairly warm water with Epson Salts, while we are praying for you for a permanent solution.

rancher1913
08-28-2018, 11:02 AM
mels at work but I will see if she can come up with something tonight, prayers that this all works out. pm sent.

Reddirt62
08-28-2018, 11:16 AM
The Dr has me on Gapapen sp for nerve pain in the fingers and hand.It has been under control
until 5 am and the pain went to 10. This is after the C6 C7 surgery.

Do any of You know of a better med beside the Gapaten?

Thanks and keep Me in Your PrayersLyrica works better for some folks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1911sw45
08-28-2018, 11:23 AM
None works well with out side effects. That is just par of course with nerves are damaged

Mr_Sheesh
08-29-2018, 06:56 AM
For some people, Gabapentin causes a side effect - Couple people in my family have experienced this. Start taking it and their brain stops working - So if you need to think at all to do something, well, you aren't DOING it any more. Lyrica can cause that (I think to a lesser extent.) They do have other meds, I think someone was on Nortriptylene at night to help them sleep? I am SO not any good at medical stuff, tho. Just a "if you take it and your brain quits working to the point that you can't figure out what's WRONG, well, see if this is what's going on for you" warning. Good luck!

bikerbeans
08-29-2018, 07:47 AM
Lyrica works for my wife, but the copay is insane.

BB

RED BEAR
08-29-2018, 08:30 AM
Will pray for you and a solution to your pain. Hope you get relief soon.

1911sw45
08-29-2018, 08:38 AM
Gabapentin made me have anger issues. Plus not having a clear head.

sundog
08-29-2018, 09:00 AM
Mrs Sundog was prescribed some one time for some nerve issues and stopped taking it almost as quickly as starting it. It created a serious mood issue. She's says it sends her to, "A very dark place." It is now on her DO NOT TAKE list.

Bent Ramrod
08-29-2018, 11:31 AM
After my L4-L5 back operation, my doctor tuned me up on Gabapentin. Gave me a big bottle of tiny little capsules of the stuff and told me to start at a certain number, and then increase the intake until the buzzing “asleep” feeling in my foot went away.

When I reached the number that worked, she totaled up the milligrams and prescribed me some large capsules that covered the intake with a three times a day dosage. As the buzzing gradually diminished over time, I now take one of those in the morning, and an occasional one in the afternoon if I’m driving or otherwise sitting for a prolonged period.

Haven’t had any problems with side effects, that I can see. The stuff is much cheaper than Lyrica, which I understand has a slightly modified chemical structure. I don’t like taking pills in general, and try for the minimum amount that gives enough relief to keep me going.

I would guess that the next step up would be some kind of narcotic, which would give more undesirable side effects and be more dangerous to take.

1911sw45
08-29-2018, 04:44 PM
Sundog it did me the same way I took it only 4 days 300mg x 3 times a day

Mr_Sheesh
08-29-2018, 05:53 PM
If it works for you, GREAT! :) I just know we are all different internally a bit, so if someone is taking it and knows something is wrong, but can't figure out what, it could be the "Your brain is running on 0 cylinders, that's why you can't think" side effect. Sneaky side effect, some of us need to be able to think LOL!

Battis
08-29-2018, 06:05 PM
I was on it for a short time and the side effects were really bad.
Back in the early 90s, as a pain treatment (not a depression treatment), a DR had me try an anti-depressant called Elavil that contained a drug called Amitriptyline. Again, terrible results (anger issues). Apparently, from what I understand, drugs like Gabapentin are the next generation of those anti-depressant pain drugs. Be careful - the side effects never went away for me.

I had back surgery two weeks ago today (L3 disc trim/repair). They sent me home with Oxycontin without Tylenol. That drug has a real bad reputation lately, and it's too bad for those of us who can take it and walk away from it when it's not needed. I'm done with it 2 weeks after the surgery.

Ask your DR if Gabapentin is Amitriptyline based.

Oily
08-29-2018, 08:39 PM
Gabapentin or Nuerontin in its original name has worked great for me. I have nerve pain in feet, legs and hands. If I don't take it I get spider crawling sensations in my legs and terrible electric shock feelings in my feet. Down side is sometimes can't think clearly in a minimal way, like walking into kitchen and can't remember why. Or can't think of the only word to finish a sentence. And I'm only 60 LOL. The side effects for me are okay but everyone is different. My daughter had Guillain-Barre Syndrome and has to take Gabapentin and it works for her but her side effects are worse than mine and she has trouble with short term memory and slows her thinking to in her worst times she can't make a decision. Gabapenton is also a receptor drug I think it is called which means it enhances most pain drugs so you can take less of the opiods or whatever you take. Bottom line it works for alot of people but the side effects can be overwhelming for some people.

bstone5
08-29-2018, 09:10 PM
I take Gabapentin for pain in my feet. Without the pills my feet will give me a lot of pain in my feet. Take three a day, the third pill is before I go to sleep.
I have no side effects that I can determine but at 73 I often have short memory problems but will in a few minutes remember the thoughts, maybe the drugs or my old age.
Funny the effects older age has on our minds and bodies.

xbeeman412
08-30-2018, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the replys.
I go to My GP at noon today and will run a lot of things by Her then. We start home health at 9 am today as well.

1911sw45
08-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Just came off this drug also Amitriptyline. Lowest dose too at bed time was able to take for a month then told the dr I am stopping it because of the anger issues. I am just going to have to live with the nerve apathy and diabetic nerve apathy. Battis I was hoping for the side effect to go away but they have not either with me. I don't like it and wish I never took the dang drugs for it!

Battis
08-30-2018, 11:24 AM
The problem with Amitriptyline or any similar drugs is that they're anti-depressants, and if you're not depressed, they can have bad side effects.

As far as nerve damage - I'm not a pot advocate, but the one time I took a single "hit" last year I slept like a baby. Of course the next day I ate a whole bag of Doritos.

Battis
08-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Interesting side note: Gabapentin is being prescribed for dogs. They found another market for the stuff.

LUBEDUDE
08-30-2018, 01:14 PM
I’ve been on Neurontin/Gabapentin for about 20 years +/- . It literally changed my life. Every time my doctor asks about it I tell him that I will not get off of it for the rest of my life.

It can be dosed at an insane amount. That may be why some folks are having deleterious effects. Side effects are lessened if the bulk of the dose can be taken at bedtime.

xbeeman412
08-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Dr said i had lost 2 much weight and admitted me to the hospital this evining.

will try to up date when I c what they feed me or tube feed me