PDA

View Full Version : WTB - 310 dies for 30-30 WN

rdwarrior
08-27-2018, 05:41 PM
I just acquired a lyman/ideal 310 tool with 30-06 dies. I would also like to use it for my 30-30 if anyone has any 4 or 5 piece 310 die sets laying around. If it makes any difference, the handles do not have an adjustable case ejector. Also does anyone know if I can do pistol cartridges with these large handles - such as .357?
Ron

I found out that I will also need a small set of tongs. Additionally I am looking for a 4 or 5 piece 308 win set of dies for the 310.
Thank you to those who have pm'd me so far.

bedbugbilly
08-27-2018, 07:13 PM
If your tongs are steel and stamped 30-06, they will probably only work with cartridges of the same/colse base dimensions such as the 8mm Mauser (8X57). I have a set of the steel tongs that are stamped 30-06 but I use them when loading for my 8mm Mauser. If your tongs are the aluminum ones with the interchangeable screw in cartridge inserts, then you would need the correct cartridge adapter to go with your 30-30 dies when you find them. The aluminum handles with the interchangeable cartridge adapters are in two sizes - large and small. Certain cartridges - such as the 38/357 require the small handles while the 30-06 would require the large handles.

The steel tongs were usually stamped with the cartridge on them but like the 30-06 stamped tongs, the were usable with other cartridges (like the 8mm Mauser) that had close/same base dimensions. Just like a set stamped 8mm would work for loading 30-06. I have a set of steel tongs that I use with my 30-30 dies but IIRC, the are stamped 32 Win Special as that cartridge.

Take a look on fleabay - sets sometimes show up on there and sometimes there are new sets listed as well. Also, take a look at the threads in the hand loading tool section on this site - lots of good info there in regards to the 310 tools. I'm sure others will come along with more info. IIRC, the 30-30 uses the small aluminum handles. Trying to use most of the pistol dies in a large set of handles won't work as they set the die too far out for the length of the casing.

The 310 tools are an "adventure" and an interesting one . . . don't get frustrated over it. Do some reading on them and you will soon figure out what you need for what cartridge. With my 30-30, I FL size in a regular die the first time and then after that, I just neck size with the 310 tool. They do a good job (all I shoot is cast) and they work equally fine in both my Winchester 94 and my Marlin 336SC.

RogerDat
08-28-2018, 01:15 PM
I have a box of smallish dies that are for one of the older systems, saw 30-30 on at least one and 300 on another. I can post a picture in the evening of what I have. I'm pretty sure the set was for multiple 30 caliber sizes. The seating dies I recognized and possibly a couple of sizing dies, other than that I'm not 100% sure what I have there.

It was one of those things where to get the pieces I really wanted I had to take the whole box and I set these small dies aside to see what they might be used for. On my to-do for someday which hasn't arrived yet.

wgg
08-28-2018, 01:46 PM
I have a set of 30-30 310 dies. PM sent.