PDA

View Full Version : Good day at the gun club...

375supermag
08-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Hi...
I spent most of Sunday at the two gun clubs I belong to with my son.
We just joined a new to us club last week, so we spent a few hours there shooting steel plates with some of our handguns and then another couple of hours practicing with his AR15s.

After taking a break for lunch we went to the other gun club to attempt to tune up a few bolt action rifle. We had to wait until after 3PM to shoot on the rifle range because they hold the high power matches there the last Sunday of every month.
Had a great time...burned up a lot of steel cased .223 and a bunch of bulk handgun cartridges that my son had stockpiled. Also shot up a bunch of old China Sport .45ACP cartridges that my son got for practically nothing at an auction this spring.
I did a bunch of speed drills at 15yds with both my .45ACP 1911 carry guns and with one of my Colt Troopers .357Mag revolvers. I thought I shot 5 steel plates at 15yds with all three handguns at a pretty good pace with only a couple of misses over a couple hundred rounds. I hadn't shot any speed drills on steel in many years... I was able to keep the steel ringing fast enough to get some positive feedback from my son.

Over at the other range, I was able to shoot a new to me Interarms Mark X in 7x57 for the first time.
I only shot it at 50 yds to see how it did. I shot four 3-shot groups at 50 yds and they were consistently about 1" to the right of the bullseye and touching each other. The rifle apparently has potential so I suppose I will remove the cheap BSA scope that it came with.
Probably will get a Leupold or Vortex in the 3x9 range for it.
The other rifle of mine that I shot was my Sako L579 in .243. I shot a number of three shot groups at 100yds and was pleased to see it consistently shoot about a 1" group just about an inch high.
Next time I take it out I will shoot it at 200yds and fine tune it at that range.

My son shot very well with his left hand Tikka .308 as always.
He had considerably less success with his new to him M700 in .270.
This is a rifle that he bought to learn to shoot right handed because one day he will inherit quite a few nice RH rifles from me.
He had a lot of trouble getting a good sight picture with the Vortex scope he put on it and getting comfortable with shooting right handed particularly with trigger technique.

I explained to him that it is not easy to transition from LH to RH rifle shooting and that it would take a few range trips to get comfortable with it. He got fairly frustrated with his lack of success unfortunately.

Still, we managed to have a good time particularly shooting steel plates. My son had a great time with a couple of his 10mm autos doing that. His Ruger 1911 in 10mm is a very nice hand gun and capable of excellent accuracy.

buckwheatpaul
08-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Great story....life is always better with a child beside ya!

375supermag
08-27-2018, 01:13 PM
Great story....life is always better with a child beside ya!

Absolutely...
My son is 24 and has been my shooting partner since he was about 8 years old.
He started with .22LR revolvers and rifles the spring after his 8th birthday and was shooting light loads out of my .44Magnums( 240gr LSWC over 8gr of Unique) by that fall.
By age 12 he was shooting clays birds with a 12ga. Browning BPS and had worked his way up to shooting a few rounds out of my 7mm Magnum.

ThomR
08-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Is there a reason why he couldn't shoot a right handed bolt gun left handed?

jimlj
08-27-2018, 02:47 PM
I love shooting with my now 30 year old son. We have been shooting together since he was about 5.
I understand having trouble shooting a rifle right handed. I can't quite get the hang of shouldering and aiming a rifle off the right shoulder. Over the past 60 years my left eye has gone south faster than the right, so I've learned to shoot handguns right handed without too much problem. Rifles are a whole nuther story.

375supermag
08-27-2018, 03:21 PM
Is there a reason why he couldn't shoot a right handed bolt gun left handed?

Hi...
No reason... he does it pretty regularly.
This new to him M700 has a cheek piece so it's a bit more difficult to shoot it left-handed.
Also...he stands to inherit a bunch of right-handed rifles and a fair number of them have cheek pieces as well, so he is going to invest the time, money and effort in learning to shoot rifles right-handed.

He is actually a very good shot with a shotgun shooting right-handed on clay birds.
He likes to switch to breaking them right-handed just to show off. Sort of like how he likes to shoot empty shotgun hulls off the 25yd target frames with a handgun.

375supermag
08-27-2018, 03:26 PM
I love shooting with my now 30 year old son. We have been shooting together since he was about 5.
I understand having trouble shooting a rifle right handed. I can't quite get the hang of shouldering and aiming a rifle off the right shoulder. Over the past 60 years my left eye has gone south faster than the right, so I've learned to shoot handguns right handed without too much problem. Rifles are a whole nuther story.

Hi...
I understand perfectly... I have tried to shoot my son's LH rifles left-handed and it just feels wrong.
Can't use my left eye to sight as I am irretrievably right eye dominant.
I had a stress fracture in my right wrist years ago and couldn't shoot handguns right handed for an entire shooting season, so I did become a decent handgun shot left handed but I still had to aim with my right eye.

JoeJames
08-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Back in the day, we had a feller who was right handed, but left eye dominant. Sergeant had a card screwed into the rear sight sticking out to the left so he could only see with his right eye when he shot. It worked - he was about top shooter for the team.