PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show finds!

fiberoptik
11-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Well, I've finally gone and done it. I now have a Springfield 1903A3! It's marked Nat'l Ord. SN in the 5 Mill 5grand. Seems to be a Remington 1942 receiver, with a new barrel, and a....gasp.... plastic stock :cry: (things to change soon) I don't have a front sight hood on it, and the rear site seems kinda loose to me, sliding up/down in range a little too easy, but it was cheap enough to grab. Now I also found it's commercial distant cousin with it, a Rem. 721 in 30-06, with a Weaver K4 scope in an off center left side mount. I also managed to grab a Lee hand press & 06 dies! Weee! [smilie=w: [smilie=w: [smilie=2:

swheeler
11-30-2005, 04:03 AM
Fiberoptic; I believe those 03's marked National Ord were built up out of spare springfield parts, everything but the reciever, they were investment cast copies. I rebarreled one a dozen or so years ago, my brother in-law still has it.
Scooter

Dutch4122
12-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Congrats on your new finds!

You didn't happen to pick those goodies up at the Birch Run Expo Center Gun Show this weekend, did you?;)

I managed to end my search for an original 98 Mauser in 7x57 Sunday afternoon. Was checking the tables on the West side of the Expo Center and stumbled across a gentleman who was selling off a half dozen sporterized Mausers he had built up over the years. I saw one original Mauser long rifle in the rack and noticed it had an "in the white receiver." Checked it out and it turned out to be a 1908 Brazilian with a really nice strong bore. Overall condition was excellant+

I couldn't pay the man fast enough.

Buckshot
12-02-2005, 07:50 AM
.............Dutch my Brazilian M98/08 is a shooting SOB. Looks really good doing it too!

.................Buckshot

Dutch4122
12-02-2005, 10:57 PM
.............Dutch my Brazilian M98/08 is a shooting SOB. Looks really good doing it too!

.................Buckshot

That's great to hear. I hope mine measures up to the same standard. Now we just gotta get your "7mm Mauser" design going on a group run in the future so I have something to shoot in the old girl! ;)

TCLouis
12-02-2005, 11:50 PM
I did have two of those. One full military with PERFECT stock and one sporter.

Sold the full military and shoot the other. Shoots fine.

As I understand it, they had CZ cast the receivers for these.

rocklock
12-03-2005, 06:45 PM
I managed to end my search for an original 98 Mauser in 7x57 Sunday afternoon.

I couldn't pay the man fast enough.

I joined the 7x57 club today, too. Picked up a very nice 1895 Chilean Mauser at a gunshow today.

Should be a good lead shooter.

-Rocklock

Buckshot
12-04-2005, 06:42 AM
..............The Chileans are very nice rifles. Amazing craftsmanship considering they were supposed to be dragged around in a combat situation. The 1895 Chileans were the only small ring with a backup or safety lug. actually a small extension off the tang right behind the closed bolt handle.

Since it really isn't much of anything, conjecture also suggests it's merely a guide that the extractor abuts to steady the bolt in operation. Whatever the reason, it's a singular design feature.

I have one and it's throat is washed forward and the lands are visibley worn rounded. However with the 150gr Lyman Loverin it shoots pretty good to about 1600 fps.

................Buckshot

rocklock
12-05-2005, 01:06 AM
..............The Chileans are very nice rifles. Amazing craftsmanship considering they were supposed to be dragged around in a combat situation. The 1895 Chileans were the only small ring with a backup or safety lug. actually a small extension off the tang right behind the closed bolt handle.

I'm constantly amazed at the quality of craftsmanship in all the pre-war Mausers. On my Gew 71/84 you can't find a tool mark or rough edge anywhere. Same with my Swede.

Since it really isn't much of anything, conjecture also suggests it's merely a guide that the extractor abuts to steady the bolt in operation. Whatever the reason, it's a singular design feature.

I have one and it's throat is washed forward and the lands are visibley worn rounded. However with the 150gr Lyman Loverin it shoots pretty good to about 1600 fps.

................Buckshot

Would that be the 287405?

Buckshot
12-05-2005, 07:33 AM
.........Rocklock, "Would that be the 287405?" That would be the one. I really like the RCBS 7mm-168 best for a 7mm slug, but as you know a bore rider REALLY needs a bore to ride on :D The one in my Chilean is rather casual, so is the accuracy with bore riders.

In my M98/08 Brazilian and a M97 Rem RB in 7x57, that RCBS slug and a casefull of surp WC872 deliver 2450 fps and 1.5" (5 rounds) accuracy at 50 yards benched.

...............Buckshot