PDA

View Full Version : Lead source - but how to get it?

goon
09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
I know a guy who knows a guy who has a set of old front end loader tires going to waste.
They're worn bald.
They were also filled with powdered lead to prevent them from being able to be punctured easily.
Anyhow, I'm thinking that it would be possible to get a buttload of lead from four loader tires, but loader tires are thick and very tough.
I have info for the guy who owns these tires but am reluctant to call him about them without even knowing if it would be possible to get to the lead in them.
Any ideas?

deltaenterprizes
09-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Use a skill saw to cut away the rubber

jhrosier
09-23-2008, 08:04 PM
I would try a hole saw to cut an access hole between the cleats.
Hang the critter over a bucket and whack it with a big hammer 'til the bucket fills.

Jack

yondering
09-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Set 'em on fire, the lead will just pour out! :twisted:

Just kidding. Are they still on the loader, or is someone going to dismount them from the wheels?

Pitmaster
09-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I think I would try a Sawzall to cut a square that you could get a shovel inside. In fact cutting a square the width of the tread side should do it.

Take photos.

docone31
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I wonder, If you can get the tire up on something, mix acetone with cooking oil, and let it just get really absorbed into the dry rot, cracks, inside the tire. From there just start a little fire. It should open up and opening. If the tire gets hot enough, the lead might melt, and pour out of the hole.
This way there shouldn't be much cleanup. The tire will definately be lighter to pickup and dispose of.
You could toss the tire down an hill somewhere. The hole in the tire will help prevent water from collecting inside the tire and becoming an habitat for mosquitos.
This way, you get the lead and someone has some landfill.

azjohn
09-23-2008, 10:09 PM
+1 jhrosier has it right. Think about it set the tire on fire. Fire Dept and HASMAT show up. Your picture is in the paper; fines and such for polluting because you wanted lead to cast bullets. Be smart and think it out. That would be some expensive lead.

goon
10-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Cutting a hole in it sounds like about the best idea. As for getting the tires up on something, that isn't likely at all.
This is a front-end loader tire we're talking about - think heavy equipment. I have positively no way to move them but I shouldn't have to. The lead in them is powdered. Apparently they fill tires with it when they're used in quarries to keep rocks from puncturing them.
The tires are taken off the loader now and are laying in a field. I haven't talked to the guy who told me about them lately.
Guess I'll have to track him down the next time he's around.

Pepe Ray
10-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Tires have always been "loaded" with a calcium chloride sol'n to add wgt. I've never heard of powdered lead used as such and can't imagine how the tire would function nor how the lead was administered. There's got to be more to the story than that.
Could it be that someone is just trying to get rid of some junk tires?
Be careful!!
Pepe Ray

idahoron
10-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Tires have always been "loaded" with a calcium chloride sol'n to add wgt. I've never heard of powdered lead used as such and can't imagine how the tire would function nor how the lead was administered. There's got to be more to the story than that.
Could it be that someone is just trying to get rid of some junk tires?
Be careful!!
Pepe Ray

I am with you. I grew up on a farm and still own two tractors. I have never heard of lead in tires. Ron

straight-shooter
10-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Article about usage of water and calcium chloride in tractor tires.

http://www.antiquetractorstore.com/articles/artint138.htm

I would certainly steer away from dealing with those tires.

SWIAFB
10-19-2008, 11:34 AM
A lot of indutrial equipment equiped with pneumatic [ air] tires have been foam filled to add weight and eleminate flats. The mounted tires are pumped full of a two part soulution, think of epoxy, and allowed to cure,solidify, for a minumiom of 48 hours.

Down South
10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
A hole saw was my first thought but that was already mentioned. Whether the tires have powdered lead in them or something else is what I don't know. It might well be worth the trouble to bore a hole in one, take a sample of whatever is in it and see what it does in a pot over a fire.

montana_charlie
10-19-2008, 12:56 PM
I have tires with calcium chlorate in them, so I know how they get it in there. It is put into add weight to the tire to improve traction. Plain water would do the same thing, but the calcium keeps it from freezing. I don't see how 'powdered lead' could be put in a tire, unless it was in a semi-liquid slurry, and I can't see how it would prevent punctures.

The calcium solution remains liquid until it is pumped out, so a slurry of lead would also stay liquid. I don't see how that would puncture-proof tires, unless it was a 'lead and tire sealant' mixture.

THAT would have two useful properties. (1) Seal punctures.
(2) Add weight for traction.
I have no idea if such a combination is used by anybody, but that is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

How one would separate those two materials might prove to be troublesome...
CM

felix
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
A chlorate? Doubt it. Chloride, that would be mo'betta' for your application in that the tire won't be attacked. ... felix

imashooter2
10-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Once you get the lead, if it exists, do you have a way to get rid of the tires? Sounds like they're something no one wants...

Bill*
10-19-2008, 05:16 PM
I'll bet a five-spot there's no lead in those tires. Most likely the calcium chloride,or possibly the foam if they're not too old. Somebody who tried to move one told somebody else that!!!

montana_charlie
10-19-2008, 06:40 PM
A chlorate? Doubt it. Chloride, that would be mo'betta' for your application in that the tire won't be attacked. ... felixrate?..ride?...those four letter words always confuse me...

You can rate your horse while you ride him. And, if you are in competition, the judges will rate your ride.

CM

Just Duke
10-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Use a shop vac and vuccum the lead out.

wire nut
10-19-2008, 07:10 PM
believe it or not but I was talking to a couple of fellows yesterday that were talking about powdered lead being used in rock truck and end loader tires. It is no longer used but they were saying as how they hated trying to change the old tire with the kead dust in them. This equipment was used here in kentucky on the coal strip mines. Goon I believe the rims on the loaders bolt to gather as there is now way that a person could break down and change a tire that big.

Bill*
10-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Well.... If Wire Nut is correct, I owe somebody a fiver. First I've heard of ballasting tires with lead! Keep me posted and if it turns out to be lead in there I'll send the five to the site if thats OK? (me and my big mouth) :mrgreen: .....Bill

goon
11-16-2008, 09:38 AM
believe it or not but I was talking to a couple of fellows yesterday that were talking about powdered lead being used in rock truck and end loader tires. It is no longer used but they were saying as how they hated trying to change the old tire with the kead dust in them. This equipment was used here in kentucky on the coal strip mines. Goon I believe the rims on the loaders bolt to gather as there is now way that a person could break down and change a tire that big.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.
On the tires, if taking them with the lead was part of the deal I wouldn't bother. I have no way to even think about getting rid of something like that. Without having seen them I'm inclined to believe that they probably are full of lead. The guy who told me about them makes his living dealing with scrap metal and hauling junk. I'd bet that this guy knows what he's talking about.
As it is, I've kind of forgotten about this as a lead source for now. It's just not necessary - I got about 150 pounds of 1/16" lead sheeting from an exam room last month for $20 and I've got a retired plumber locally who has some lead pipe he's willing to sell me after he figures out how much he has. For now I'm not in too bad of shape for lead.
I my next purchase is going to be the actual equipment - planning to put in an order soon.

Hardcast416taylor
11-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I was at a John Deere dealer last week npricing out a new tractor. When I asked how much to get the tires loaded with calicum chloride he said they don`t use that anymore in the tire industry. It attacks the metal wheel if it leaks. Now they use beet juice. It`s safer and will show red if there is a leak. Besides you animals will keep the tires licked clean from the aroma of the juice. I also must add my doubts about the lead dust in the loader tires.:coffee:

EDK
11-16-2008, 01:08 PM
In the past, rubber tired equipment used for coal handling in the power plants I worked at had lead dust installed in tires. IIRC it was about 4 or 5 tons per tire....these were DRESSERS or HOUGHS with a blade to push with about 10 feet high and 20 feet wide. Without the weight, you could spin the tires pushing a full blade of coal into the conveyor pits.

I still work there...maybe I need to talk to the service man about this.

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

TCLouis
11-16-2008, 01:35 PM
there may be a possibility there really is lead dust in the tire.

IF you have to take the tire to get it, it may become a very expensive batch of lead.
The lead contamination may make the tire "hazardous waste" and that gets into more issues than the average person wants to look at.

Just a SWAG of course!

fivegunner
11-16-2008, 01:50 PM
use a chain saw! and a face mask:bigsmyl2:

Bullshop
11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I get some lead dust from an indoor small bore range. The dust is very dificult to smelt down and much of it is lost to oxide. In what I get there is shreaded target paper mixed in and acts as an insulater so it takes a long time for the paper to burn off and lots of heat. The dust is very dificult to handle and every thing it touches will have a coat of lead on it, shovels, buckets, tools ect. Think moly. It is a major pain! I hate it. Each time you pour or dump the powder some becomes airbourne in a swirling gray cloud, DANGEROUS!!! I hate it!!!
Did I mention how much I hate it.
BIC/BS

Papa smurf
11-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Bring them to my place I'll darn shure come up with something,retired guys have lots of time.

wire nut
11-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Bill ,have sent the money to the site yet.

DLCTEX
11-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Cut the tires in pieces and they can go into a landfill. Whole tires will trap air and float to the surface If you use an abrasive blade in a skill saw to cut the bead and it's wires, the rest is relatively easy to cut with a wood cutting blade in a reciprocating saw. That's the way we cut tractor tires to use for feeders. Or flower or vegetable beds. DALE