PDA

View Full Version : FASTEX, anyone used it?

arcticbreeze
09-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Has anyone used this product? If so was it good, bad?

Her is a link to a PDF of a bullet test that was on there sight.

http://www.fastexfx1.com/main.php?doc_id=333&cat_id=4

dromia
09-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Can't comment on the product but from the article the writer does'nt seem to know much about cast boolit loading and shooting.

That then makes me wonder about his application of the product and the articles veracity.

You really need to try it out and make your own mind up. Then report your findings back to us here. :D

dardascastbullets
09-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Has anyone used this product? If so was it good, bad?

Her is a link to a PDF of a bullet test that was on there sight.

http://www.fastexfx1.com/main.php?doc_id=333&cat_id=4

I have several issues with this document and the author.

#1 - There are several misspellings throughout the document that reduces the validity of the author. For instance, 'allox', 'antinomy', 'customise', 'lube sized bullets', etc. The gross errors of improper sentence structure is riddled throughout the document - very poor for someone who is publishing an informational document.

#2 - The statement that the product 'cannot bond to itself the coating can only be one molecule thick' is poorly stated and the author provides absolutely no scientific reference or proof to backup this weak statement. His further ramblings about this statement hold no weight.

I found this document similar to reading some snake oil ads of yesteryear. The scientific evidence to back up his 'claims' are nonexistent.

Matt Dardas
Dardas Cast Bullets
www.dardascastbullets.webs.com

Bent Ramrod
09-25-2008, 12:28 AM
I bought a small spray can of Fastex at Cabela's "Bargain Cave" one time. It's an English product, I believe. I sprayed it between shots into the barrel of a .32-40 and wiped with a patch. It might have made the group a little tighter; it certainly didn't make it worse. I really have to try the stuff again some time, but the results I got didn't make me drop all other shooting experiments to concentrate on investigating Fastex.

However, it's supposed to create a dense, smooth 0.05-micron thick bonded surface which is impervious to moisture, provides a very low coefficient of friction and offers protection under all hostile conditions. Master Shooter Scott Robertson uses it. (He's probably never heard of me, either;-).) It's also supposed to increase velocity and power, extend range, reduce wear, improve accuracy and control and increase penetration.

All this from a product that looks, sprays and acts just like WD-40, CRC and any number of other pressurized light petroleum fraction miracle juices.

Jim
09-25-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm gonna side with the author of post #3. The original article makes the statement about Fastex not bonding to itself and only being able to apply ay a one molecule thickness. If that is the case, the entire contents of the container it comes in is in molecular state. That being said, when the product is opened, it will fly off into the atmosphere.

Bass Ackward
09-25-2008, 06:36 AM
The one thing we know about cast is that so far, there is no one way. So if there is no one way, there can't be one clear product.

So can the effectiveness of any product be improved for our applications? Well I tried this product.

http://www.lubricationspecs.com/Whatsnew.htm

Darn good product. Works great on jacketed bullets or for lubricating guns. Especially in frigid temps. Tells me when a new gun is broken in enough because the accuracy edge of it compared to uncoated jacketed disappears when the bore smooths up and friction is reduced.

Problem is that there isn't any real way to keep it on a cast bullet. Or is there? Well it turns out that this stuff makes an excellent thinner for .................. you guessed it, Lee Liquid Alox. It takes LLA to a hole new level of lubricated performance. That is, if you have the patience to let it dry or use Mica.

Would Fastex do the same in some other lube? Possibly. You either have to aska chemist or try it for yourself.

compass will
09-25-2008, 07:36 AM
It's also supposed to increase velocity and power, extend range, reduce wear,

For a minute there I thought I was reading some of the spam for "male pills" everyone keeps receiving.