PDA

View Full Version : My .40 cappers

cbashooter
08-24-2018, 03:16 PM
I picked up a Belgian made pre dixie 40 caliber caplock a long time ago.,
The darn thing shoots exactly to the sights at 50 yards in is under two inches the majority of the time. I just got this Golden Age arms Douglas Barrel 40 caliber caplock and I'm really hoping that you too as well. I've been down the 32 and 36 road but for me the .40 makes more sense.

bob208
08-24-2018, 08:09 PM
I have a .40 cal. hoyt barrel on my gpr. it is a tack driver. I use a .395 rond ball and 40 gr. 3f goex.

pietro
08-24-2018, 10:18 PM

FWIW, in my home state, a .40 ( and lesser calibers) can be used on small game only - the regs state that a .45 or larger are the only calibers that can be used on deer (the biggest game here, except for some black bears wandering in from surrounding states).

beemer
08-24-2018, 10:52 PM
I bought a 42 inch Sharon barrel from Dixie in .40 back in the 70's and built my first ML. Nobody I knew had any idea about them, thought I was silly for wanting one. I did it anyway and made ALL the mistakes, forearm way to thick and heavy just to start. That being said it is put together solid and I still have it. I have always thought the .40 was the perfect caliber for my use. A 38 spcl case of 3F is about right for tree rats and 55 grs. will make short work of a deer.

Have a Short .50 and a long flintlock in .32 that I built, think I have done 7-8 over the years. I'm retired and have a little more time now and I'm thinking about doing another .40.

Inlines have never interested me and fake powder just don't smell right.

Those are nice rifles, I like the long ones but that half stock really looks good too. I hope you enjoy them.