PDA

View Full Version : What type chair in the reloading room?

wv109323
08-23-2018, 11:48 PM
I just spent 6 hours in my reloading room loading up some ammo. I have a small folding wooden chair. After a while it gets quite uncomfortable. There is no cushioning and it is only about 12 inches wide. So ,what do you find comfortable and has back support?
It needs to be movable because I have 5 presses and need to move to get in an ideal positions in front of each press. I can not imagine that an armchair would work.

Tom W.
08-23-2018, 11:53 PM
I just have a wooden stool. I seldom sit while loading or casting.

lightman
08-23-2018, 11:54 PM
I use an old office desk chair. It seems to work well.

CASTER OF LEAD
08-23-2018, 11:56 PM
A good quality office type rolling chair. The one I use has built in lumbar support. Makes a HUGE difference. YMMV. - Caster

Flailguy
08-24-2018, 12:32 AM
My bench is fairly tall so I use a stool like you would find at the old auto parts stores.

ThomR
08-24-2018, 12:51 AM
I use a wooden stool for my reloading bench and a metal folding chair with a cushion for casting. If my wooden stool gets uncomfortable I throw a pillow on it.

retread
08-24-2018, 01:09 AM

One is a goodwill stool that I added to an old base with wheels. The black one I bought off Craigslist for $10. It is tall with a footrest. Total outlay for both, $25. Both ware quite comfortable.

Reddirt62
08-24-2018, 01:53 AM
Office chair. But then again I am a one legged reloader/caster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wayne Smith
08-24-2018, 07:34 AM
Mine is an old banker's chair I found in the basement of an office building in Concord, NH over 35 years ago - it was abandoned and broken. I replaced the base, casters, and did some repairs on the swivel mechanism and it's still going. My son (240lbs then) had it at college for a couple of years and I had to do some rebuilding then, too.

Thin Man
08-24-2018, 07:49 AM
Like Flailguy, my bench is a bit taller than normal. I designed it to be comfortable when standing beside it. My choice is a wooden stool like one used to find in a counter-top restaurant. That stool dates back to 1970 when I bought it new. It has held up fairly well over the years, including a few residence moves. The spindles between the stool legs are really handy to hook and rest my heels. I have repaired the seat section a few times because of fractures (to the seat, not me). My next improvement will be a completely new top panel over the existing seat. That old stool is light enough to be quickly moved around to either make room or to be used where needed. SWMBO has cast the evil eye at it a few times but I remind her that the stool has been with me longer than she has, by about a year. Hope she leaves it alone, I'd really miss it.

mozeppa
08-24-2018, 08:00 AM
i bought 6 high quality office chairs with lumbar support as well as the "up / down" piston for height.

i took 2 of them and removed the seat and mounted 20" tables to the wheel section.
...one for left side ...one for right side.

p.s. these were $275 each chairs ...i got all 6 for $15 each.

bedbugbilly
08-24-2018, 08:05 AM
My bench is a little taller than the ordinary work bench as I find it easier to work on. I have a wood stool - bought at a flea market years ago that I use when working on things on the bench top. When I work on my presses, which are mounted at bench height on the edge, I have an older rolling "secretary's chair" that works well. You can get a decent rolling secretary's chair at Office Max for a reasonable price. I like it as mine is on rollers and if I need something that is out of arm's reach on the bench, I can just roll over and get it and roll back and continue on the press.

Petrol & Powder
08-24-2018, 08:07 AM

ditto

375supermag
08-24-2018, 09:15 AM
Hi...
I have a large office type leather chair in my reloading room, I only use it when I am sorting brass or looking through my reloading manuals.
I do at least 90% of my reloading standing up.

GhostHawk
08-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Office chair here. But my casting/reloading area is also my computer room.

Easily adjustable for height, swivels, rolls fairly well as long as the floor is clean.

In my other man cave, the fly tieing area I use a computer chair with the back removed. Runs into less stuff, arm's don't get in the way.

Mal Paso
08-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Costco shop stool with an adjustable gas strut. High for reloading, low enough to see the spout casting. $40.

redhawk0
08-24-2018, 09:33 AM
I have an old repurposed dinette chair from the early 1970s. It works fine for me and is just the right height for my bench. It looks something like this one. Its made of heavy pine.

redhawk

Hossfly
08-24-2018, 09:56 AM
I have an old office chair also, rolls around well enough till you hit a stray wayward primer, that’ll stop it in its tracks. Helps to remind you to keep floor swept at least once a month or so, luckily the wife doesn’t visit too often.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Yep.
I have a very very old (circa 1940s?) swivel Office chair made of wood with cast iron screw/height adjuster. It is form fitting (my form at least, LOL) and quite comfortable, I removed the vintage wooden caster wheels as they were too worn to function. I use it without casters, it is heavy and has a very solid feel.

KCSO
08-24-2018, 10:40 AM
An old solid oak office chair and mostly I use a stool from the shop made from an old tractor seat.

cwlongshot
08-24-2018, 11:30 AM
I do have a couple stools... but very rarely ever use them. They are mostly for visitors. My wife will come down and sit sometimes.

I build my loading benches optimally for standing.

CW

fast ronnie
08-24-2018, 12:23 PM
I have an old office chair that is about 8 or 10 inches higher than normal. Neighbor gave it to me from a bank.

Omega
08-24-2018, 12:27 PM
I picked up two of these from a DRMO (excess Mil equipment) sale cheap. They were new, not even assembled, they thought they were regular office chairs.

pjames32
08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
I sit while working and have an adjustable height bar stool with a back. Hi for using my Dillon and lower for other tasks. Lowest is when casting to see the mold/spout.

lightman
08-24-2018, 12:42 PM
I have an old office chair also, rolls around well enough till you hit a stray wayward primer, that’ll stop it in its tracks. Helps to remind you to keep floor swept at least once a month or so, luckily the wife doesn’t visit too often.

Yeah, a stray primer will stop you in your tracks! My Rockchucker is not as bad as the hype says but I still get a stray occasionally.

Chad5005
08-24-2018, 01:18 PM
226042 this ia my casting/reloading/do everything chair,its pretty comfortable and will layout into a bed if I need a nap...lol

robg
08-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Tried an old office chair but when I pulled the handle on my press I rolled all over the place so I just use an old Wooden chair with a cushion.office chair is used in my shed when casting as its great to swivel to drop boolits into a padded box.

RED BEAR
08-24-2018, 08:01 PM
I use heavy duty office chair for reloading. Bought from officemax on sale .

DCM
08-24-2018, 08:49 PM
Swivel, adjustable office chair for me but sometimes I stand.
Interesting to see all of the different setups people use.

lightman
08-24-2018, 09:46 PM
I wish I could still stand but those days are over.

coloraydo
08-24-2018, 09:52 PM
Adjustable swivel office chair here.

Hossfly
08-24-2018, 10:48 PM
Here is a pic of my chair with lumbar support , purchased from local chiropractor
Working really wellhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180825/c0e97be43d832f625c97e96f8b998f05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reddog81
08-25-2018, 01:58 AM
I started reloading at a desk using a plain old chair. After a year or so I built a bench where I could stand and wouldn't want to go back. I moved my casting setup onto a platform so I could stand while casting also. You're much more mobile and easy to get better leverage on the press when standing.

Shopdog
08-25-2018, 02:55 AM
Have two,both are old swivel roller office chairs.Keep them at two different heights.Hardwood floor,they roll great.

Rick Hodges
08-25-2018, 02:51 PM
I use an old padded Samsonite metal card table chair. It folds up out of the way when not needed and is pretty comfortable when I need it. I also have a high workbench where I can stand and work and wooden bar stool to fit that as well. My presses are mounted at normal desk height and I use them sitting.

El Bibliotecario
08-25-2018, 03:21 PM
I use a metal folding chair.

The most important thing I learned about chairs and reloading was from my dental hygienist. When cleaning my teeth, she would position my face practically touching her bosom. She said this allowed her to keep her elbow close to her torso; otherwise she would spend the day leaning forward, which made her back hurt. Accordingly I position my chair as close to the press as possible, and find it appreciably more comfortable.

Walks
08-25-2018, 03:36 PM
I built my benches so I could sit on a 24" round top wooden stool. I have one for the loading bench and one for the work bench. I also have my Grandma's old overstuffed Rocker. It's great for anything that requires only my hands, like priming or case trimming with the great new LYMAN Hand trimmer on a battery drill.

And since my main presses are O- frame, I angle my body as close in from the left as possible. Just as close so the handle clears my right knee.

For casting out on the picnic table on the Patio I use an old kitchen chair with an old king-size bed pillow. That old pillow gives padding for my butt and support for my lower back.

ShooterAZ
08-25-2018, 04:40 PM
My reloading bench sits pretty high as I prefer to stand while reloading. It makes it easier to move about and do my thing. Same for casting, I feel that if I need to get clear of the casting area quickly, a chair would be in the way. I did get a bar-stool like chair for my bench, but I never use it.

MOA
08-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Pretty much do it all standing up. Applying gas checks is about the only time I sit. It's about the perfect height for me to see how the lubing and checking is proceeding. I just use a nicely padded chair with padded back that I can get a small pillow if needed at my lower back.

JSnover
08-26-2018, 12:57 AM
I'm another one who stands. I also take a break after each operation if I'm loading a large batch.

lead-1
08-26-2018, 07:16 PM
I have two, an old wooden type bar stool about 30" tall with padding and a home made one that is a taller swimming pool chemical bucket sitting on a repurposed roll around shop stool base and padding on the lid.

Big Tom
08-26-2018, 08:41 PM
I have never used a chair and am always standing when reloading. Am sitting at my desk almost all day, so standing is a welcome change for me ;-)

Shopdog
08-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Haha Tom..... I'm standing all day so sitting is a welcome change.The spice of life.