PDA

View Full Version : .457 in a JM Marlin 45 Colt?

Stopsign32v
08-23-2018, 09:22 PM
To slug it? ;)

I got some .457 muzzle loading pure lead balls to slug the bore of my 45 Colt Marlin. Am I good using this and is my process below correct?

Oil the bore good

Put the ball at the muzzle and beat it in with a plastic mallet

Once it’s started push it all the way to the chamber using a wooden dowel close to the size of the bore

Once out use a micrometer to see what size mold to buy

Profit from correct sized bullet and savings from casting my own

JimB..
08-23-2018, 10:53 PM
Some folks use a brass rod rather than a dowel because a broken dowel can become tricky to remove.

Clean the bore very well before you start.

mehavey
08-24-2018, 07:23 AM
Clean the bore very well before you start.And run an oily patch up&down the bore before final slugging (!):!:

Tatume
08-24-2018, 08:01 AM
All good advice, but the chamber dimension is also important. As long as your cast bullet is larger than the barrel groove diameter and will chamber easily, it should be good.

Stopsign32v
08-24-2018, 08:28 AM
All good advice, but the chamber dimension is also important. As long as your cast bullet is larger than the barrel groove diameter and will chamber easily, it should be good.

How do you get an accurate chamber measurement?

Stopsign32v
08-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Also guys what is the best method to squeeky clean the bore? I'm sure there is some solvent I don't know about. One bore is micro groove and the other is the ballard style I believe.

Tatume
08-24-2018, 08:46 AM

The measurement isn't important. What is important is that the bullet is larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. Measure your groove diameter, and make your bullets larger. If they chamber easily, you have what you need.

Some people use what they call a "pound cast" which you can read about in the stickies. I don't, as there is no need.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-24-2018, 10:06 AM
a pound cast is the easiest way.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356251-Pound-Cast-instructions-(for-rifle-chamber)

The measurement isn't important. What is important is that the bullet is larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. Measure your groove diameter, and make your bullets larger. If they chamber easily, you have what you need.

Some people use what they call a "pound cast" which you can read about in the stickies. I don't, as there is no need.
Stopsign32v,
I agree with Tatume in regards to your JM Marlin 45 Colt, since it is a pistol caliber in a levergun. But if you ever start loading for a rifle caliber and want to load beyond typical 'published' cast boolit velocities, then a pound cast of the chamber will be helpful to determine boolit fit.
>>>this thread may help you understand.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168496-Chamber-and-throat-relationship

Nobade
08-24-2018, 01:10 PM
My Marlin 1894CB will easily chamber a round loaded with a .457" bullet. And it shoots quite well with them. Those chambers are way large, and using them with big bullets really helps with the gas leaking back in your face. Only neck sizing them helps also. No need to slug the bore, just feed it what it wants.