View Full Version : Storm coming...........maybe

abunaitoo
08-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Looks like a big storm coming.
According to the media.
Could be more fake news.

Hossfly
08-22-2018, 04:59 PM
No it’s not fake news, looks like it will not be a direct hit but will be noticeable, shows it to go south then turn north and west of you. Still at cat 4. Almost a cat 5.

lightman
08-22-2018, 05:04 PM
Batten down the hatches! Hope you don't get it too bad, but it looks like its for real.

Finster101
08-22-2018, 09:16 PM
I have been through a hurricane or two, it's not real fun but if you prepare you definitely increase your chances. I never evacuate. Long lines on the interstate with nowhere to go and just leaving my stuff for looters just doesn't appeal to me. On an island nowhere to go anyway. Good luck to you. Hope you guys are spared from the brunt of it.

SciFiJim
08-22-2018, 09:16 PM
The surf will definitely be up in Waikiki. Wonder if it will wash away the rest of the beach. The waterline has receded 40 or so feet in the 15 years that my family and I have vacationed there. Some of the hotels there could be in serious trouble.

abunaitoo
08-22-2018, 11:28 PM
Stores are flooded with people who don't plan for things like this.
News reported that they are out of water already.
Some gas stations are out of gas.
Military bases are starting to lock down.
No ships are being allowed to dock.
So far nothing. A little rain, but no wind.
I'm good.
Loaded a bunch of mags.
10 gal of gas, Generator to keep the icebox cold. Propane stove, and extra gas. Rope tarps, water, caned food. Flashlights and extra batteries. Wind up radio.
High enough where water will not reach us.
On a hill so wind has never been a big problem.
Only problem I see is only one street to reach us.
If it floods, we're stuck for a little while.
So far everything is still a just a possibility.

sawinredneck
08-22-2018, 11:57 PM
Fill the bathtub with water while you can, just in case.

abunaitoo
08-23-2018, 02:29 AM
I have a few coolers I'll fill up tomorrow.
Last time I filled up the tub, it leaked through the drain.
I even taped a ziploc to the drain.
Looks like it's turning away, and weakening.
Weather still good. light rain.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-23-2018, 05:43 AM
Best of luck to you guys out there on the island Take care Guys

jeepyj
08-23-2018, 08:43 AM
My thoughts are with you and your family, Be sure to keep us posted and be safe.

Wayne Smith
08-23-2018, 08:48 AM
You will feel the effects, probably won't know until Friday how much. Look around for trees that do not have a tap root - they are liable to blow over in high winds. Tornadic winds are likely if you do get more than the edges of the storm. Three to six inch diameter pines will break fifteen to twenty feet up the trunk. Batten down anything that is likely to get loose and make sure your neighbors do. I laid my smoker (vertical smoke box) down for the last storm - it didn't move. Grills will fly unless tied down. If you can check your roof and siding for loose pieces. Tape big windows - something flying can break them, this minimizes the flying glass.

tunnug
08-23-2018, 09:04 AM
I have a few coolers I'll fill up tomorrow.
Last time I filled up the tub, it leaked through the drain.

I always wondered if just filling it would work, there was a company selling a large heavy duty plastic bag that sat in the tub and you would fill it up to be used for emergencies, good idea to have one around for a just in case.

blackthorn
08-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Close drain then apply a couple of layers of that red tape drywallers use. Guy at the lake uses it to patch cracks in his fiberglass boat.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-23-2018, 11:25 AM
You have good water in your hot water heater too

Wayne Smith
08-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Last major storm we had here was barely a one when it got to us. We were still out of power for six days. Be prepared to live without power - no refrigeration, no air conditioning, no electric oven or stove. I have two alternate ways to cook - gas burner and firepit/smoker. Grew up in Northern Virginia without AC, as did my wife. We ate through what would spoil and smoked some of it. Did not do too badly. We were prepared. We never lost water pressure - that would have been harder. Had drinking/cooking water stored, but no washing, no showers would have been hard.

abunaitoo
08-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Not panicking yet.
Looks like the eye is turning away.
Just got back from the market. Weekly shopping.
Not much people.
Still had some water and batteries.
Gone.... Bread, can soup and veggies, ramin, candy(?).
Coolers filled. Generator tested. 10gal of gas. Lots of batteries. Enough TP.
Mags loaded.

woodbutcher
08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
[smilie=b: Hurrticanes ain`t no fun for sure.BTDT.Born and raised in Vero Beach,Fl.Family has been there for 102 years now.Been through a few nasty ones.Wishing you the best.Keep your head down.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Finster101
08-23-2018, 07:16 PM
"Coolers filled. Generator tested. 10gal of gas. Lots of batteries. Enough TP. "

Beer? My gosh man have you got enough beer?

abunaitoo
08-24-2018, 01:28 AM
Gout. No beer.
looks like it's turning away.
We've had a little rain and wind.

Iowa Fox
08-24-2018, 01:52 AM
Hope it turns away and misses you petering out over the ocean someplace. Gee, I hope my money order to you doesn't get blown away.

rrob692326
08-24-2018, 02:13 AM
Passed us here in Volcano, and a big nothing. Just some rain, no wind at all and now its heading NNW so it won't get too close to Oahu. Not like the 20,000 plus earthquakes we had up here at the summit of Kilauea less than 3 miles from my home in the last three months. When you get cracks in your yard and your 10,000 gallon water tank is doing the hula when you step outside 2 minutes after the last earthquake then you got a slight problem.
Aloha

Wayne Smith
08-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Gout. No beer.
looks like it's turning away.
We've had a little rain and wind.

Gout - enough black cherry juice, black cherry ice cream, etc? It's specific for gout and works.

abunaitoo
08-24-2018, 02:55 PM
It looks like the storm is dying.
Eye gone. Turning out away from us.
It's dark outside right now. Little wind and rain.
Almost everything is closed.
No mail.

Gout is a PITA!!!!!!!!!!
I drink Black Cherry when it gets bad.
Celery seed pills works great also.
Thing that works the best, for me, is Solaray uric acid.
When I feel an attack coming on, I take two tab's three times a day.
Drink lots of water.
Most of the time, attack never get bad. Gone the next day.
Sometimes it takes a day or two to be gone.

Hickory
08-24-2018, 02:57 PM
It looks like the storm is dying.
Eye gone. Turning out away from us.
It's dark outside right now. Little wind and rain.

Somebody must of threw a virgin in the volcano.

Smoke4320
08-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Glad you made it OK .. was thinking about you

abunaitoo
08-24-2018, 05:52 PM
According the worst of it is suppose to hit us at 2:00p.
About two hours from now.
Except for the dark clouds, it looks fine outside.

jsizemore
08-24-2018, 11:35 PM
11pm news here (EDST) says the storm has fallen apart and is downgraded to a tropical storm with the center looping around Kauai and heading to the NNW. North Shore may be FUN.

abunaitoo
08-25-2018, 02:40 PM
It looks like it just blew up.
Died.
It's still dark, a little rain, but looks like that it.
Dodged another one..............for now anyway.

Leslie Sapp
08-25-2018, 03:24 PM
The daughter, (who I believe you've met) is overseas right now, so I bet she's glad she missed this one. She said the last time one came by there, things got a little busy down on the marine air base. :)
I'm sure if I was an officer responsible for several multi-million dollar aircraft, I'd have people running to and fro, also.

Wayne Smith
08-25-2018, 08:07 PM
Looks like you dodged this one. Rain bands are about all that are left. The big island got swamped, though.

bob208
08-25-2018, 09:32 PM
don't know how to act today made the third in a row with out rain. even had sun the last 2 days.

abunaitoo
08-26-2018, 01:16 AM
The daughter, (who I believe you've met) is overseas right now, so I bet she's glad she missed this one. She said the last time one came by there, things got a little busy down on the marine air base. :)
I'm sure if I was an officer responsible for several multi-million dollar aircraft, I'd have people running to and fro, also.

Was she the Marine who flies the Osprey????

Leslie Sapp
08-26-2018, 07:31 AM
She's a crew chief on one.

abunaitoo
08-27-2018, 03:09 AM
I remember her.
You got a box of bushings from me.
Dropped them off to her, to give you when visited.
Base gets a little crazy when a storm gets close.
That and they just finished the RIM PAC games.
Lots of air traffic at the base during the games.
I think the last of them left a few days before the storm.
Hope she's in a safe place.

Leslie Sapp
08-27-2018, 06:11 AM
She is. As safe as anyone is when they are flying high performance aircraft. They are down in Australia on a training deployment.

She says when you land an Osprey on top of a wallaby, he zigzags just like a squirrel!:mrgreen: