PDA

View Full Version : Indy 1500 this weekend... and some thoughts.

mattw
08-22-2018, 09:14 AM
So, the Indy 1500 is this weekend... about a 2 hour drive for me. There was a day that I did not miss it, went every quarter. I helped a good buddy setup, sell and tear down for the show. He was a commercial caster and reloader, this supported his shooting and purchasing of some really fine old cast boolit guns. He is long gone, when he passed it made shows a little less fun and I started going to very few shows. This is a very good one, as far as they go... it is the largest in our region without driving 4.5 hours to Louisville. The show has gone to more AR and full-auto than I would care for, but there are interesting things there. Now mind you, I have not been in 3 years... So, not sure what to expect now.

This spring I lost my bestus buddy, we went to shows together as much for the drive as for the show. It is going to be tough to go and not have him on the other end of the radio somewhere in the show. My wife and girls will go with me. My wife and the oldest (15) both love to go and look, my youngest finds the shows a waste of time and a distraction.

Most of my really good friends tend to be older by 10 to 15 years and I am starting to run out of friends. Let me tell ya, that really stinks! I find that many of the folks here remind me of Bill and Jim, in manner and in word. I am glad to be here!

So... Anyone from here going to the show? I will be there Saturday morning, planning on 9am'ish Indiana time. Want to meet and greet? Let me know, I would be happy to and would provide you with some contact info!

Matt

mtnman31
08-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Most shows are a black rifle fest, anymore. I don't begrudge the fact, that's just what's popular these days. I prefer a variety myself. In the last couple years, I've been to a dozen or so shows and seen casting equipment once.

mattw
08-22-2018, 12:24 PM
There are a couple of vendors that do bring casting equipment to this show and I have had good luck at the "private" vendor tables and boxes of random stuff. But, the last time I went... I bet 40% of the show was AR and 30% were pawn vendors with a range of 200 to 300 pistols but nothing exciting.

merlin101
08-22-2018, 02:32 PM
I rarely see any casting stuff at the local shows here in/near Rochester NY. I do see the same old rusty and overpriced 2 round ball molds and waaaayyy overpriced Lee six banger every year for the last 4 or 5 years, you'd think he'd get the message.
We do see lots of black guns but the market saterated with them and there trying colorful paint jobs to spruce them up, mostly ugly but it is entertaining.

mozeppa
08-22-2018, 03:57 PM
i'll be there sat am too!

Elkins45
08-27-2018, 07:05 AM
I was in Indy all last week for work, so I went on Friday evening. Picked up some brass and 4lb of powder.