PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
08-21-2018, 06:49 AM
Blessed are the poor in spirit… MATTHEW 5:3
The New Testament notices things that do not seem worthy of notice by our standards. “Blessed are the poor in spirit….” This literally means, “Blessed are the paupers.” Paupers are remarkably commonplace! The preaching of today tends to point out a person’s strength of will or the beauty of his character— things that are easily noticed. The statement we so often hear, “Make a decision for Jesus Christ,” places the emphasis on something our Lord never trusted. He never asks us to decide for Him, but to yield to Him— something very different. At the foundation of Jesus Christ’s kingdom is the genuine loveliness of those who are commonplace. I am truly blessed in my poverty. If I have no strength of will and a nature without worth or excellence, then Jesus says to me, “Blessed are you, because it is through your poverty that you can enter My kingdom.” I cannot enter His kingdom by virtue of my goodness— I can only enter it as an absolute pauper.
The true character of the loveliness that speaks for God is always unnoticed by the one possessing that quality. Conscious influence is prideful and unchristian. If I wonder if I am being of any use to God, I instantly lose the beauty and the freshness of the touch of the Lord. “He who believes in Me…out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” (John 7:38). And if I examine the outflow, I lose the touch of the Lord.
Who are the people who have influenced us most? Certainly not the ones who thought they did, but those who did not have even the slightest idea that they were influencing us. In the Christian life, godly influence is never conscious of itself. If we are conscious of our influence, it ceases to have the genuine loveliness which is characteristic of the touch of Jesus. We always know when Jesus is at work because He produces in the commonplace something that is inspiring.

Wayne Smith
08-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Something to consider. Again, Paul's words - "More of Christ and less of me".

USMC87
08-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Amen!

Pine Baron
08-21-2018, 09:10 AM
This touched me deeply, thank you rl.

Boaz
08-21-2018, 03:45 PM
. Station here in the next life is nothing . Thank you Ronnie .Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

Blackwater
08-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Amen! Most folks don't ever really get to know a modern "pauper," but I have, and they are far from what most folks imagine them to be. But the only way to know that is to know some of them in more than a cursory manner. And most don't really want to, or are afraid to, allow themselves to do that. So .... they remain with no real idea of who and what paupers really are. And they're just like the rest of us, only with less money and resources. But essentially, they're really no different in composition or manner than most of us. When the hurt, they feel pain, just like the rest of us. When they hunger, they feel need, and sometimes, have no way to satisfy that need. There's really nothing special about them at all except their lack of money, resources, etc., which is often due to a cultural lack of appreciation for education and truth, and that all starts and is fostered by their whole lives, generally. They don't understand why they're poor, and some don't even have the capacity to understand that, because drugs or alcohol have dulled their ability to think and reason. They often live the saddest lives of all, and mostly, because they were never taught to want or really seek anything better. The few who learn to want and seek, generally end up middle class or better. And a fair number DO wind up doing that. But culture is a powerful thing, and unless someone somewhere indoctrinates us in our ability to climb out of that stinking pit, it generally pulls them back down within the muck and gore. And they never really understand why.

Yes indeed! The poor deserve our pity and merit out help, to whatever degree we can alleviate it, and for however long it will last. Even a brief reprieve from hunger, destitution, etc. is a big deal to those who lie within it. And it's really satisfying to even be able to alleviate their suffering for even a brief time. But it matters, both to them, AND to US!