PDA

View Full Version : Upside Down boolit sizing press-purpose built, for lee dies

CGT80
08-21-2018, 05:17 AM
UPDATE: Post #50 including videos
Version 2 with bushings, thrust washers, adjustable linkage, and adjustable handle.

A number of months back, there was discussion in a couple threads regarding purpose built presses to accept lee bullet sizing dies. Some of us have flipped a cheap lee press and even made brackets to mount them like a traditional press. These are popular with PC or powder coating, but they would likely work if pan or tumble lubing as well.

I mentioned that I thought I could build such an animal, after seeing one that someone else made and sold a few of (but non longer offers them). There was talk about lee building an upside down press, but I don't know any of the details on it.

After a little tinkering, cutting, welding, and grinding, tonight I was able to pull mine out of the powder coating oven. Yep......I powder coated my powder coated boolit sizing press.

Now it is time to cast more boolits and try a few sizes to ensure it work well on everything. It sizes 40 cal on the low force setting, through a clean and dry die. Boolits vary in size, for others, so I may have to cast some real fat ones to try it out. One shot case lube makes it very easy to size boolits but I know some don't like using lube. The handle seems plenty long, but I can make it any length for more or less leverage.

https://youtu.be/M77uU2-2Vgo

There is relief for your fingers when dropping boolits in and the handle is a roller style. The purple is transparent so I had to polish the parts with a surface prep disc before coating. It would have looked better with blemish free steel and a real polish job, but it just needed to work. The body is silver vein powder, which is textured. That steel was also blemished when I started. Oak or mahogany would have been nicer for the handle, but poplar was in stock at depot and I didn't want to hit up a wood supplier.

The base is 3/8" steel plate, 1/4" steel plate for the vertical, linkage, and main arm with the handle frame being 1/8". I like small neat welds, and they are quite strong. I set my tig machine to the middle range with the dial at 100 percent (250 amps) and feathered it until it was almost floored, for the bottom welds. While top range would have given me up to 460 amps to weld that out, it just doesn't have as much force on it as you would think. Even the tack welds on the prototypes held easily.

This one was made with my CNC plasma table, but the manual lathe and mill. If I make a bunch of them, it might be worth using the CNC mill. The thought was to keep this stupid simple, so I didn't even bother adding any kind of logo, engraving, or fancy edges.

Would you have designed or built it differently? Any input is appreciated.

If there is enough interest from people who think they would like a copy of this press, or another variation, I would consider putting some in the for sale section. I still need to test this one more, get feedback, and decide on a price, before I get into that. While this press looks simple, there is a bunch of labor in building it and I'm not sure how much people would be willing to spend on a specialized press.

Anyway, it was a very fun project and I couldn't wait to share my solution to an upside down single stage.

RedlegEd
08-21-2018, 06:22 AM
Hi. Very nice! I’d imagine the interest would be directly proportional to the cost. As you alluded to, many people just buy a cheap Lee press and flip it, so your sell price shouldn’t be too far outside that ballpark. Good luck if you decide to sell them. Ed

OS OK
08-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Very nice craftsmanship. Does the handle get in your way when it's directly in front of the press? Or...sit to one side depending on whether or not your right/left handed?

I am a fan of the 'upside down press' but I copped out for less work in making one...I concentrated on production instead... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bhSQvM4xtQ&t=6s

DougGuy
08-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Let me make this suggestion. This is a great idea for sure, as folks have been flipping the Lee press and liking it, and the engineering/fabrication/fit and finish are truly first rate.

Why not go one step farther and be more inventive, and turn the axis of the lever on a 30 or 45 degree angle to one side, so that the handle swing is out of the immediate path of access to the dies. Leave the center stand as it is, and add a mount point off to the left hand side where the end of the lever will fasten. You could also put the same mount on the opposite side for use by lefties.

It could even be attached at a full 90 degrees off axis, and you mount the press to the baseplate at a 45, as the user sits at the press, it would sit like an X with the dies on one side and the handle pull on the other. Turn the entire vertical portion 45 degrees and put the handle 90 degrees to the axis of the plate that holds the dies.

I find myself sitting to the side of the Lee press to operate it, and it takes a lot of repetitive leaning side to side to size boolits. I think if the lever pivoted off center, there would be easier access to the dies (and this is a busy path) and less leaning.

kbstenberg
08-21-2018, 07:27 AM
I would be very interested in getting one!

mattw
08-21-2018, 08:26 AM
I would love one as is... work on improving version 2! Price is important, but that does not look very complex or painful to make.

jmort
08-21-2018, 08:48 AM
I spoke with Lee Precision last year and they told me a dedicated sizer was in the works. One of our members made a few, I got two, that are really nice to use.
I bet the Lee unit will look similar.

Reddirt62
08-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Love it and yes, very interested. Thanks!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Taylor
08-21-2018, 08:56 AM
I'm in too

tdoor4570
08-21-2018, 09:07 AM
I would be interested in one as well depending on price

mattw
08-21-2018, 09:17 AM
I use the H&I die adapter that someone here made or makes. They look like they would work in this design as well. Would be so much easier than doing it all on an RC4. Darn thing is a finger pincher!

Walter Laich
08-21-2018, 10:57 AM
interested again depending on price

like idea of angled/offset handle--not sure how you would do that for both lefties and righties unless each was custom welded.

Think option of ordering a longer handle has merit. With shoulder surgery I find I have lengthen all of my handles to lessen force needed to operate

I'll be watching for more info

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-21-2018, 11:14 AM
I found the Lee classic cast press to be well suited for mounting upside-down, because the handle is reversible as well as adjustable 360º, So NO modifications were needed to the Press. It's strong and has all the mechanical advantage needed for the toughest boolit sizing jobs.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Heattreat1sizeandGC_zps0b78b77b.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Heattreat1sizeandGC_zps0b78b77b.jpg.html)

El Bibliotecario
08-21-2018, 11:45 AM
I understand that when Michael Faraday built the first dynamo, a woman asked him what was the point of it. i am wondering the same thing about this well-made gadget, not as criticism, but to enlighten my ignorance. Am I correct in assuming it is for sizing tumble-lubed and powder coated bullets which do not require conventional lubrication as achieved with a sizer-lubricator, and for rapid accomplishment of this task?

mattw
08-21-2018, 01:57 PM
This will make starting the bullet much easier in the die. Flip it over and it can be a finger pinching fun time with small bullets.

CGT80
08-21-2018, 04:35 PM
Very nice craftsmanship. Does the handle get in your way when it's directly in front of the press? Or...sit to one side depending on whether or not your right/left handed?

I am a fan of the 'upside down press' but I copped out for less work in making one...I concentrated on production instead... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bhSQvM4xtQ&t=6s

That is a slick little tray and tube setup. Nice job!

The handle does not get in the way. I sit with the press to my right and as the handle is moved down, I reach with my left hand for another boolit. It isn't much different in feel to my RCBS LAM I, other than having a nicer handle.

CGT80
08-21-2018, 04:54 PM
A handle to the side is a great idea...........I will have to think about that one.

Making the handle longer or with multiple holes to be adjustable would be doable, depending on the length needed.

The other option that I just remembered was a mount to go under this to hang an akro bin or container from. This has not been started yet, but should be a quick project.

Another person suggested a slider to feed boolits, making it semi automated. A number of others have done that but I don't know if I will pursue that. It is quite involved to make it work for so many bullet profiles.

Yes, the purpose of this press is to size tumble lube or PC boolits. Others expressed an interest in a dedicated machine that was small, simple, and a more professional looking version of an upside down single stage. Some of the flipped single stage units are a little cumbersome to work around. The lack of availability of that green sizing press is what prompted me to develop my version. It was a fun challenge that I will occasionally use and there seemed to be interest from those who missed out on the green presses. This is a bit of a niche style press, but I always like a better mouse trap and I know there are others who also would prefer something more than a flipped single stage.

Thanks for the responses and keep them coming. I will put some more work into the suggestions and see if I can come up with a price to do make more of these. Moving some of the work to the cnc mill would be good, but then it means more expense with having my brother set jigs and programing since he owns that machine. If the interest is high enough (higher quantity), cnc milling would pay off and possibly keep costs lower than manual milling.

abunaitoo
08-21-2018, 09:17 PM
I spoke with Lee Precision last year and they told me a dedicated sizer was in the works. One of our members made a few, I got two, that are really nice to use.
I bet the Lee unit will look similar.

That is nice.

kevin c
08-21-2018, 09:29 PM
I use the Lee "C" press mounted upside down, but am not thrilled with sizing on the upstroke, and don't have the mechanical/machining skills to change the linkage. So, whether red, green or blue, I'd be up for one of these.

fast ronnie
08-22-2018, 12:55 AM
This looks like an answer to something I have been thinking about.
By using a C&H shell holder on the bottom and drilling and tapping the ram for a 1/4 28 thread, use a decapping stem from an old die, this would make a great dedicated decapping press to keep the carbon, etc. out of my Rock Chuckers. (I de-cap and stainless tumble before brass gets anywhere near my resizing dies)
Plastic tubing could be used underneath to guide spent primers to a bin underneath thus getting rid of the problem of used primers on the floor from the Rock Chuckers.

My only two questions are "how did you get the alignment from the shaft to the hole in the base, and how did you keep the base from warping when you welded it, or did you machine flat after welding?

CGT80
08-22-2018, 04:56 PM
This looks like an answer to something I have been thinking about.
By using a C&H shell holder on the bottom and drilling and tapping the ram for a 1/4 28 thread, use a decapping stem from an old die, this would make a great dedicated decapping press to keep the carbon, etc. out of my Rock Chuckers. (I de-cap and stainless tumble before brass gets anywhere near my resizing dies)
Plastic tubing could be used underneath to guide spent primers to a bin underneath thus getting rid of the problem of used primers on the floor from the Rock Chuckers.

My only two questions are "how did you get the alignment from the shaft to the hole in the base, and how did you keep the base from warping when you welded it, or did you machine flat after welding?

I came up with a tool to align the shaft tube with the threaded hole in the base and may improve it even further so that it will thread and lock into the base when installing the tube. The base warped ever so slightly and yes, could be machined flat, or a cork or rubber sheet glued to the bottom would take up any difference between a bench and the plate and would keep from marring the bench. If I get real fancy, I could bore the shaft tube after it is all welded but since I am not a machinist it would take a little planning or research.

Right now, I am working on plans to add bushings or bearings, including possibly doing a bushing for the shaft to pass through.

The cheap lee presses are just steel or aluminum parts with steel pins..........nothing precise. A number of other presses seem to nothing more than shoulder bolts, so this press would be quite robust for high usage. My dillon 1050 on the other hand, is built like a truck with big parts and bearings to handle the load/wear points.

It might only be a small price increase to add the bushings/bearings and depending on my schedule may not take long to come up with an improved version 2. Since I am a perfectionist, I would rather not make copies of version 1 just yet, and as a customer it sucks when you see a new improved product just after you purchased the previous model.

Smk SHoe
08-22-2018, 09:20 PM
I love the upside down press. Flipped a old RCBS partner press and production is ALOT faster. I cut a 10" piece of Pex pipe, cut a v in the end and used a piece of plumber's tape to mount it to feed bullets. 9mm bullets slide right to the ram and drop in the sizing die. I would defiantly be interest in a dedicate, made for the job, PC sizing press.

pavementends
08-23-2018, 10:24 PM
I would also be interested.

Four Fingers of Death
08-28-2018, 08:53 PM
That's a nice piece of equipment, well done. I'd be interested if you ever get to sell any.

ReloaderFred
08-28-2018, 09:13 PM
As a word of caution, please don't make offers to sell or buy outside of the Swappin & Sellin section of the forum. That would be against the rules, as all sales and requests to buy are to be listed in S&S.

Chad5005
08-28-2018, 09:18 PM
very interested

Rcmaveric
08-28-2018, 11:10 PM
nice work.

flyingmonkey35
09-18-2018, 12:35 AM
I love it and am interested in one.

As for a boolits feeder I have a thought on that.

A simple drop in slot for different size boolits would work well. I could 3d print something that would work very well.

I'm thinking of a bushing simuiler to a shotgun press. The milled part is one size but the bushings could be made to fit whatever suzed bullets.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Walter Laich
09-18-2018, 05:28 PM
I love it and am interested in one.

As for a boolits feeder I have a thought on that.

A simple drop in slot for different size boolits would work well. I could 3d print something that would work very well.

I'm thinking of a bushing simuiler to a shotgun press. The milled part is one size but the bushings could be made to fit whatever suzed bullets.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

I use a piece of PVC for mine. Tried to lengthen it with some plastic tubing and bullets just sat in tube--too much friction

I can do from .32 to .45 bullets with my PVC setup--just slight adjustment when I attach to press with a couple of spring clamps.

after about 50 bullets I had developed enough muscle memory not to have a problem with sizing on up-stroke

Kenstone
09-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Sizing for me, is fast enough in a standard/up-right press.
I don't use the red container but attach a large diameter vinyl tube to the sizing die, curved back to the bench top into a container, so I don't have to empty that red thing.

To automate sizing I'd buy a LEE Bullet Feeder Kit and try this 1st, with a press I already have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLu0mnsqf4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8VB7mw1Qwc

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-precision-reloading-equipment/lee-press-accessories/lee-bullet-feed-kit-lee-feed-dies-fingers

:neutral:

wquiles
09-19-2018, 09:22 AM
The feeder in the videos is nice!

OS OK
09-19-2018, 09:56 AM
You fellas can make the upside down press mount without any welding...wouldn't need a torch or plasma cutter either if you have a little 3.5~4" electric grinder or an air powered die grinder with a cutting disc on it...

https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2018/04/09/sizing-cast-projectiles-from-lube-sizing-to-lee-push-through-to-an-upside-down-press-what/

wquiles
09-19-2018, 09:16 PM
You fellas can make the upside down press mount without any welding...wouldn't need a torch or plasma cutter either if you have a little 3.5~4" electric grinder or an air powered die grinder with a cutting disc on it...

https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2018/04/09/sizing-cast-projectiles-from-lube-sizing-to-lee-push-through-to-an-upside-down-press-what/

Dude! That is supper cool - nice job :)

Kenstone
09-19-2018, 11:46 PM

I like that steel riser/flip mount.

I've made something similar out of 2x6.
Basically a box with the top over hanging in the front and the bottom extended out the rear.
With some deck screws and wood glue, you could probably make three of them out of an 8ft 2x6 or 2x8.
Here's a wooden riser build, with wing shelving:
:smile:

Loudy13
09-20-2018, 08:22 PM
I would be interested in one of these also, had an upside down press and loved it but sold that press and am not willing to flip another one of my presses over there's to much reloading to do on them!

Ausglock
09-20-2018, 11:38 PM
This is mine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6h-iTHjP0

CGT80
09-23-2018, 04:30 AM
Slowly, I have made progress on the second version of the upside down press. While working on it, I have put work and thought in how to make a small run of these and do it as efficiently as possible while keeping the quality and finish very nice. If it was only a one off, it would have been finished already.

It now has a bushing for the main ram/shaft and bushings and thrust washers for the pivots on the link arms. The handle is also adjustable to go shorter or longer than the original. There is almost no play in the fit of the ram, so alignment should be much better than needed for the lee sizing dies. My only concern is wear on the ram from the bronze bushing. This is a linear movement instead of circular and I have seen some scratching on the ram. The sintered bronze can be abrasive. I had to bore the bronze bushing to match the diameter of the shaft. I could try to hone it and make it smoother. A steel body, like my first version, is hard and slick inside but is steel on steel. If the ram wears, it is easy to replace. If the body wears, that is a problem. The other option is a steel or aluminum bushing. With any bushing, it is possible for me, or a person who can do machining to replace the bushing and ram without needing to fix or rebuild the body.

The last thing I want to do is to have these floating around out there and find out there is a wear problem, so some testing by me or a volume caster might be good.

Starting tomorrow evening, I will be out of town during the week on a 6+ week job. That just leaves part of the weekends to work on this, but my goal is to get the second prototype done in the next few weeks and post some photos or video in this thread.

When I am happy with the build, I will make a thread in the for sale section.

kevin c
09-23-2018, 11:33 AM
Very cool.

I am in awe of folks like you who understand and can design, build and troubleshoot mechanical devices. Hats off!

donpablos
09-23-2018, 01:47 PM
This is mine...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6h-iTHjP0

great idea !!
What is electric motor power ?

Ausglock
09-23-2018, 09:24 PM
The Motor is a 240 volt single phase motor. 1440 rpm .18Kw attached to a motovario 20:1 worm gearbox. 19mm dia output shaft.
The new one I'm building is a 1Hp motor 2880rpm 3 phase with VFD speed controller. Still single phase 240 volt input and still 20:1 gearbox. Different bullet feed bar running off a cam wheel that will also run the ram.
Still use Lee sizer dies. Base plate will be 3/4" thick steel plate threaded 7/8x14 to take the dies.

sukivel
09-23-2018, 10:24 PM
Yeah I’m interested as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CGT80
11-09-2018, 12:39 AM
I have not forgotten about producing these. For the last 7 weeks, I have been working out of town on replacing 30,000 feet or so of barb wire fencing. Originally, I hoped to work on the project on the weekends, but the fencing work has hammered my body and I have had to rest. The second prototype is functioning but not powder coated. With the long weekend, I'm hoping to cast boolits to use for testing out the sizing press. This job should wrap up in a few weeks and allow me to get to a point of doing a small run of these. Of course when it is ready for production, I will post in the for sale section to comply with forum rules.

Chris

oteroman
11-09-2018, 02:25 AM
Interested!
Please consider allowing it to utilize NOE Star insert, then each size “button” you need are sold for $6 each.
Cheap and works great.
I have two Stars I use for sizing only that use these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LongRangeAir
11-09-2018, 03:48 AM
I am really enjoying the NOE system.

Knife

Cue
11-14-2018, 07:23 PM
Here is my upside down press. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnugW7zMbFs

Loudy13
11-14-2018, 08:26 PM
I would be interested in one of these if you ever produce them, I had a redding boss that was flipped upside down but it wasn't quite stout enough so I traded it away. I miss having the upside down press with a tube and a catch bucket.

CGT80
11-30-2018, 11:31 PM
Here is my upside down press. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnugW7zMbFs

That is a slick upside down press and all the better with a boolit feeder.

CGT80
11-30-2018, 11:43 PM
Interested!
Please consider allowing it to utilize NOE Star insert, then each size “button” you need are sold for $6 each.
Cheap and works great.
I have two Stars I use for sizing only that use these.

I saw the NOE version of the lee sizers, on the NOE site. Is that what you are referring to?
I'm not sure how it relates to star sizers.

If you want to lead me to more info on the system, I would be happy to consider building a press to accept them. If it is the NOE system, I was tempted to buy it and make the press around their system, but decided the lee would suit my needs. It may or may not be worth building, but it would be fun to at least look into it and explore what would be needed.

Looks like I have about two weeks of work left on Camp Pendelton, Ca. with that barb wire work. This week, we have seen constant convoys going in and out of the base, I'm assuming down to the Mexico border. As of right now, we don't have the next job scheduled yet, so I'm hoping for a break from work to spend time on this sizing machine.

Two weeks ago, I did manage to cast some 45 cal and 30 cal boolits to test my press with. The 30 cal need another coat of powdercoat on them. Hopefully, I will get to test those this weekend. We got rained out for Thursday and today, so I started the weekend early (worked all Thanksgiving weekend on an emergency water main leak for a golf course and another monthly lighting maintenance job I do for another company).

Cue
12-01-2018, 03:05 AM
That is a slick upside down press and all the better with a boolit feeder.

I have since added one :smile:

CGT80
12-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Today, I managed to test out version 2 and make a few videos. I'm pleased with how it works and was happy to find out that my 45 cal boolits are about 8 thousandths over size when powder coated. This was a decent test for this press.

I'm no youtuber and hate hearing and recording my voice. Hand holding a phone, trying to stay steady, narrate and also work a press all at one time is not exactly easy. About 18 years ago, I got an AS degree in still photography, using film and printing in a darkroom............a far cry from doing video. Hopefully, the amateur videos give you guys a good idea of what this press is like to actually use.

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Other than the idea to use NOE sizing die with this press, I think it may be ready for me to post something in the for sale section.

I have not decided whether to offer various colors or to just stick with one combo. While I love the candy purple, it requires polishing the parts before coating. The textured black (on version 1) is a great finish and solid colors are also practical.

Overview with short handle and extra leverage:

https://youtu.be/fFG3u5dMyZQ

Extended handle, extra leverage with lube:

https://youtu.be/DE_1B1kk2tU

Short handle and full throw (less leverage), with lube:

https://youtu.be/fRCUdRPq-EY

Traffer
12-01-2018, 07:49 PM
My first impression while looking at the OP was ... "Wow, that is an absolute work of art."
I am even more impressed now.
It has also given me some ideas for flipping my 22lr swaging setup. A problem I have is balancing the boolit on top of the base die. Flipping would alleviate that.
Yay for Castboolits! :cast_boolits:

kevin c
12-04-2018, 03:24 AM
Salivating here...

My hat is off to folks like CTG80, whose mechanical skills combined with ingenuity bring a lot to the table when it comes to solving practical problems. Looking forward to the time when you decide to put this in production.

Loudy13
12-04-2018, 04:51 PM
yup yup still want one, solid color is fine with me although the purple looks great I am sure the production time and cost will be less with a solid color!!

Loudy13
12-04-2018, 04:59 PM
I forgot I would be interested if it accepted the NOE sizing system, I think the only issue and I am sure someone can chime in is that there would maybe be a clearance issue with the NOE system. I could measure mine and let you know what the interference is above the threaded area.

Grmps
12-04-2018, 06:20 PM
Looks like no sweat with the full throw

44magLeo
12-06-2018, 04:05 PM
With my low speed internet I don't do videos.
Some have asked about making it left or right handed.
I can see in the pics for the videos how the roller part of the handle is bolted to the inner part of the handle. To make it so you can have it left or right handed leave one steel strap straight with the 45 degree bend out close to the roller. Then adjust the bends in the other strap to match so the roller sets at 45*. this would move the roller off to one side or the other bolting in on for which feels best for the operator.
Leo

CGT80
12-06-2018, 06:07 PM
With my low speed internet I don't do videos.
Some have asked about making it left or right handed.
I can see in the pics for the videos how the roller part of the handle is bolted to the inner part of the handle. To make it so you can have it left or right handed leave one steel strap straight with the 45 degree bend out close to the roller. Then adjust the bends in the other strap to match so the roller sets at 45*. this would move the roller off to one side or the other bolting in on for which feels best for the operator.
Leo

That is a great idea!

I wonder if it would make a big difference when actually used...........a test would be necessary.

The press is currently made with 3/8" plate for the bottom and 1/4" plate steel for the rest. It does have some flex, but the forces are downward and not side to side with the centered handle. With the angle, it may be necessary to move to 3/8" plate to compensate. This is doable, but would require longer bushings and more time to finish the heavier plate. The other option is to go back to the drawing board for a design that is not prone to flex.

A test with a single piece of bent flat material would be a simple test.

CGT80
12-06-2018, 06:10 PM
I forgot I would be interested if it accepted the NOE sizing system, I think the only issue and I am sure someone can chime in is that there would maybe be a clearance issue with the NOE system. I could measure mine and let you know what the interference is above the threaded area.

Please do give me some measurements on your setup!
I had the same concern. The press may need more throw to run the NOE system as the die threads in from the inside of the press.

The amount you thread the die in could vary, at least it does with the lee dies. This could create a variable. I considered ordering an NOE setup, but don't necessarily need it for my sizing purposes..........just to build a press to accept them.

sagebrush rebel
12-07-2018, 02:14 AM
Great press. Would you ever consider selling a kit and letting the buyer assemble. Might just need the hard parts that a normal person would have a hard time finding. Thanks Don

CGT80
12-09-2018, 02:28 AM
Great press. Would you ever consider selling a kit and letting the buyer assemble. Might just need the hard parts that a normal person would have a hard time finding. Thanks Don

This isn't designed in such a way to prevent the need to assemble while building it.

The tube that accepts the bushing has a stop tig welded in the bottom, and the tube is tig welded to the upright which is tig welded to the base. It is aligned with a purpose made alignment tool to get the hole for the die centered and on axis with the ram. Since I am not working with a full production shop and the parts are cnc plasma cut and then hand finished (vs. cnc milled) each press would be hand fit and aligned. If there were many of these to be made, I would use the CNC mill, but that is my brother's machine. It is an hour from my shop and I have not run his machine before, so would be dependent on him showing me the ropes. Instead, I used a manual mill and lathe where needed. If there was enough demand, I would consider running the parts on the cnc mill.

CGT80
12-09-2018, 02:46 AM
Tonight, I built a bracket to hold a short akro bin under the sizing press. The last few times I tried to come up with something, I was unsure how to build it. A pre-bent section of material was able to accept the edge of the akro bin, so I took a few measurements and drew something in CAD. After printing it, I folded the paper and tested the fit. It needed one adjustment and then got cut on the plasma table. Well...........it was off just a little from what I wanted. Back to CAD and then the plasma, some finishing with the die grinder, a bend, some tig welds and blending, then one more slight bend. I'm thrilled with it. There may be a way to avoid using the pre bent section............I'll have to try it.

No photos for tonight. I tore down the version 2 press and cleaned up the edges in prep for bead blasting and powder coating. Maybe I can get my blast cabinet dried out tomorrow (it leaks when it rains, despite a total rebuild and great sealing job) and then get the parts powder coated. This afternoon I powder coated a couple leash/key hooks for customers and was happy with how much easier it is than even spray paint and one cool, it is ready to go. After painting as a pro (buildings) for many years and doing a few little auto projects with single stage and two stage auto paint, it is nice to find something so tough, less labor intensive, and lacking the need for a critical spraying/drying environment.

Unfortunately, I forgot to draw up an angled handle to cut on the plasma and test out, but that can happen at any time.

After powder coating, I'll post some more photos.

Right now, I am waiting for No1 (site owner) or the mods (already contacted both) to let me know where I can continue this thread for people who have asked about purchasing. Until then, I will continue with finishing or upgrading little things on mine.

NOE sizing: it looks like there is 3.125" between the bottom of the ram and the inside surface of the base plate, on this press. I do not know if that will leave room for the NOE setup. Still waiting for someone to share some measurements and maybe a couple photos if willing. It would be much appreciated.

Walks
12-09-2018, 03:01 AM
I have always had the greatest respect for a Man who can do skilled work with his hands.

oteroman
12-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Length 1.5”
Width .750
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181209/e0d80040aa04f0c497088a2fba2abc31.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181209/86b90d737a38da5d39a6b1d360c6a4aa.jpg

oteroman
12-09-2018, 03:20 PM
This is a NOE insert for a Star lube/sizer.

oteroman
12-09-2018, 03:21 PM
FYI uploading images with Tapatalk Pro is super stupid easy.

CGT80
12-10-2018, 02:08 AM
This morning, it looked like the Santa Anna winds were going to put up a fight, but they died down and I managed to empty the blast cabinet and load some fine glass bead, then powder coated the parts for my press.

Before PC, I whipped up an end plate for the blue bin. In the past, I cut one from aluminum using tin snips, but this press deserved something better. While the plasma table will cut stainless, aluminum, copper, brass, steel, etc., there was a piece of the proper thickness steel in the scrap pile and steel cuts cleaner than aluminum. The first part was long by 3/32", so three minutes on cad and cam and I was headed out to cut a second one. Second time was a charm! A slight bend on my little home made brake and it fit great.

Since I was in a hurry to finish, I didn't force the part for a two hour swim in acid and instead cleaned it up with the die grinder and a 3" surfacing disc. Luckily, my air compressor averages 20 cfm and will refill the 80 gallon tank in 60 seconds and allow the die grinders to run for 3-5 minutes before it runs again. The compressor also catches up to the blast cabinet, with a large skat blast tip (20-25 cfm) and will shut off for a few minutes while blasting. The pump on this machine looks like a Harley engine and is similar in size, based on looks. It is a true 5hp machine with the motor weighing in at 108 lbs and the pump around 200 pounds or so. Life really sucked when I used to run an over rated "6hp" compressor.

This time around, I used copper wire to hand my parts for powder coating and ran a little more air with no difuser on the PC gun. It turned out nice. The coat of candy purple was heavier, so it isn't as see through, but it looks more consistent. On the shelf, there were a number of other colors but they just didn't tickle my fancy. If/when I make more of these, candy won't be an option, unless there is some extra in it for me. It takes a while to run a surfacing disc over these to get a half decent polish. While I was tempted to get out the buffing machine and the 10" wheels for a mirror finish, this steel was not in perfect shape and it wasn't worth the effort. There is a copper vein color (same style as the black that I used) and it would make a nice contrast for the linkage or other parts while only requiring bead blasting for prep.

The bin bracket will mount right under the press and is the exact shape and size as the press. The bracket is low profile without a bin, while my attempt at a bin bracket next to the lube sizer was less graceful with a sheet of aluminum protruding out to catch my hands or arm as I walked by. The short bin is part of the solution for a non intrusive boolit catch and I may not even fill it to capacity before dumping, but it should work quite well. The handle on this machine does stick out a ways from the bench. It is adjustable and could be set shorter and tied back/upright for storage.

When I reassembled the press, I noticed a small amount of wear on the pivot bushings of the press. I was hoping the bushings would not be too thin or soft to wear prematurely, but I would much rather the bushings wear than the steel parts. A set of sleeve bushings is about 5 bucks and they are easy to swap out. There are thicker bushings set aside, as I had two choices available, but I have not yet built a press with them. Maybe I will do a second press and try the heavier set.

It feels great to have Version 2 complete, with just a handful of ideas to try out when I have more time. Have to get up at 4am to go do more barb wire fencing work on the Navy base, so I'll wrap it up here. Hopefully, this will be the last week for that job and I will have more time at home to catch up on reloading and using my sizing press.

Enjoy the pics!

CGT80
12-10-2018, 02:16 AM
Length 1.5”
Width .750

I need a few more words to go on.............a description of how those parts work would be great. I have not seen a star in person. Or, take a photo of the order of the parts, with a boolit, laid out and how they might fit into my press. There must be a pin or punch not shown. Is it just flat like the lee?

I assume, the small part is the NOE sizer and it fits into the longer body you measured. The longer body goes in the Star?

Would the longer body sit with the larger diameter portion up and the shoulder resting on my press base, in place of a die (it would go between the ram and bottom and be pushed down and through the press base)?

If the smaller piece, assuming it is the actual sizing die, will fit the NOE threaded holders, then building a press or using this one to accept the NOE threaded die would make more sense. Anyone could use this sizing press and an NOE die and sizer, in place of the lee.

Basically, you have the sizing rings/bushings already and would like to use them in dedicated press like mine?

Maybe we can figure this thing out!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-10-2018, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't think someone would want to use the Star adaptor?
If you are looking for info on NOE's standard bullet sizer kit, I don't have dimensions, but there are images of it, in their catalog, gives you an idea, it's a similar shape like a Lee.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=564_104&osCsid=di1vir2gvnmil4lv1cjnl53tq6

Instructions posted on the NOE forum:
http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,1245.0.html

a nice little youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Qr9szz0K0

another video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRoudK8THGM&feature=youtu.be

Kenstone
12-10-2018, 01:48 PM
I need a few more words to go on.............a description of how those parts work would be great. I have not seen a star in person. Or, take a photo of the order of the parts, with a boolit, laid out and how they might fit into my press. There must be a pin or punch not shown. Is it just flat like the lee?

I assume, the small part is the NOE sizer and it fits into the longer body you measured. The longer body goes in the Star?

Would the longer body sit with the larger diameter portion up and the shoulder resting on my press base, in place of a die (it would go between the ram and bottom and be pushed down and through the press base)?

If the smaller piece, assuming it is the actual sizing die, will fit the NOE threaded holders, then building a press or using this one to accept the NOE threaded die would make more sense. Anyone could use this sizing press and an NOE die and sizer, in place of the lee.

Basically, you have the sizing rings/bushings already and would like to use them in dedicated press like mine?

Maybe we can figure this thing out!

I've been following this thread and you have gone a long way just to get the thread size of the NOE die body, like pulling teeth [smilie=b:

I have made/sold stuff related to a different hobby and experienced similar frustration all along the process.
Lots of initial interest and excitement and once I priced the item, the interest continued.
I built some units, anticipating orders to happen...but they never did.
I probably should have sent this as a pm, as some posting here may consider it a criticism of them, but just wanted to relate my experiences, and what to expect as you develop this sizing press.
jmo,
:mrgreen:

SlowBurn
12-11-2018, 02:27 AM
Here are some pics of my NOE push through sizer - I haven't used it yet, but I think I know how it works...

On a regular press, the left side is up, and right side goes into the shell holder. There are 2 choices for the shell holder end; a calibre specific (.30 cal in this photo) push through rod (top of photo) for sizing nose first, and a standard top punch holder (bottom of photo) for sizing base first. The calibre specific bushing (.316 in this photo) is shown between the reject bullets and the die body.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4893/45545857794_f581e63566_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2coJqJf)

Here it is all assembled and ready to install on a press.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4886/46269234591_7e63738909_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2duDVrZ)

Please let me know if you would additional measurements, and g'luck with your project.

cigarman454
12-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Great idea I like it

MT Chambers
12-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Not sure that I understand the utility of this, why not buy a used (or new) Lyman, RCBS, or better still, a Star, does the same thing but has the option of lubing at the same time?

Loudy13
12-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Not sure that I understand the utility of this, why not buy a used (or new) Lyman, RCBS, or better still, a Star, does the same thing but has the option of lubing at the same time?

Because those of us who don't plan on lubing (powder coating only) would like a press that fits on our bench and works like a press that is placed upside down without the awkward mounting issues.

Loudy13
12-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Here are some pics of my NOE push through sizer - I haven't used it yet, but I think I know how it works...

On a regular press, the left side is up, and right side goes into the shell holder. There are 2 choices for the shell holder end; a calibre specific (.30 cal in this photo) push through rod (top of photo) for sizing nose first, and a standard top punch holder (bottom of photo) for sizing base first. The calibre specific bushing (.316 in this photo) is shown between the reject bullets and the die body.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4893/45545857794_f581e63566_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2coJqJf)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4886/46269234591_7e63738909_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2duDVrZ)

Please let me know if you would additional measurements, and g'luck with your project.

SB you will really like the NOE set up I have been using it for a couple years now and it is quick to change for different calibers and works flawlessly in my opinion. This press with the ability to use the NOE option will be the ultimate machine!!

MT Chambers
12-13-2018, 12:20 AM
Because those of us who don't plan on lubing (powder coating only) would like a press that fits on our bench and works like a press that is placed upside down without the awkward mounting issues.

A Star mounted on your bench is not nearly as awkward as the setup shown.

sukivel
12-13-2018, 11:11 AM

What’s the price of a Star?

Loudy13
12-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Not sure why you don't like this set up but I don't think any one actually cares.

Star sizer 338.00 new with 52.00 for a die, that is MSRP I'm sure they can be found cheaper used or on sale.

Once again I don't need something that will lube my bullets that I can make work for sizing my coated bullets. I think that is one of the best things about this site is there are people that make suggestions to help everyone out that has questions and there are people willing to make a specific tool to match current needs of the people that would use them.

sukivel
12-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Not sure why you don't like this set up but I don't think any one actually cares.

Star sizer 338.00 new with 52.00 for a die, that is MSRP I'm sure they can be found cheaper used or on sale.

Once again I don't need something that will lube my bullets that I can make work for sizing my coated bullets. I think that is one of the best things about this site is there are people that make suggestions to help everyone out that has questions and there are people willing to make a specific tool to match current needs of the people that would use them.

Yeah lube/sizing, Star is probably better...

But, $338 plus $52 every pop is expensive to size a pc bullet, which is ALL I do now.

oteroman
12-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Well I am get a Bullet feeder for that star and hook up a Mr. Bullet feeder to and that combo will size bullets at a scary fast rate. I have two Star sizers. Gold trust me.

CGT80
12-16-2018, 04:00 PM
I've been following this thread and you have gone a long way just to get the thread size of the NOE die body, like pulling teeth [smilie=b:

I have made/sold stuff related to a different hobby and experienced similar frustration all along the process.
Lots of initial interest and excitement and once I priced the item, the interest continued.
I built some units, anticipating orders to happen...but they never did.
I probably should have sent this as a pm, as some posting here may consider it a criticism of them, but just wanted to relate my experiences, and what to expect as you develop this sizing press.
jmo,

I appreciate your experience and have been cautious of the same happening with this project. It has taken much longer to build this press in a manner to be able to build more copies with some efficiency and good quality, than it would have taken to just build a single working unit for my needs only. There is some money wrapped up into various size bushings and washers, but I do have my own working unit from that. So far, I have held off on purchasing any other material to build more...............don't count your eggs until they hatch!

This has been a fun learning experience and metal work is something I do for hobby and business and reloading and casting are just for fun. I would love to make at least one run of these, after putting the work into them, so am hopeful there will be a few people who will pull the trigger.

Thank you for taking the time to measure that out and for getting good pictures. That should let me know if my press will work or if it needs more throw. I haven't had a chance to compare them yet, but will do it. If I need more photos, I will let you know. Thanks!

Awkward is a relative term and subject to personal opinion, so it may be awkward for you but is/would be the cat's meow for some of us. The dirt cheap lee press that I flipped upside down with a home made bracket was far more awkward than this. The RCBS LAM I is quite awkward with a short handle and little room to set boolits. Having to remove the boolit every time is wasted effort.

A star sizer would be awesome, especially with a Mr. Bulletfeeder. Instead, I built an automatic sizing machine to also use the lee sizing dies and my Mr. Bulletfeeder sits on top and feeds the boolits nose down. It uses and air cylinder and will do a few thousand boolits per hour. Even with that, I still had a need for the single stage press sizer to add gas checks to PC boolits, and others wanted a simple single stage style press with lower cost than a Star or automatic boolit sizer.

The little lee press (the cheap $35 one) took too much effort for me to want to do any quantity on it. Neck and back issues, along with other health issues, made it very uncomfortable to use and would leave me in pain for a while. Let me tell you, it was fun to use V2 of my press and the leverage of the mechanism and longer handle made it much easier than the lee, even with dry boolits. With lubed (hornady one shot) boolits, they slipped right through. This press also looks much nicer than the contraption I whipped up with scrap parts for the lee, and it has a small footprint.

My rifle boolits still get Cred lube and a star is not cheap, so for the smaller volume that I use, the RCBS works.

Different strokes for different folks.............

Update Status:

It seems that this forum does not have a mobile site, and I can not post from my phone (don't use tapatalk) when out of town. This weekend I worked Sat night into Sunday morning and likely won't get to work on this, but did want to respond to posts.

While I really like V2, I do want to see what it would take to use the NOE setup. If V2 won't do it, I might make a version 3 to handle it. It would be good to know how many people would really want the NOE option, if it requires a new version of the press. I'm planning to take the 19-26th of December off (and don't have anymore long out of town jobs on the calendar for right now) and should get to look at this closer.

I have not heard back from No1................the message must not have gone through so I will try again. Unfortunately, this project is in a bit of a limbo until I have an appropriate place to continue it for those who are interested.

I do appreciate the interest in this project and the patience with the slow progress.

oteroman
12-17-2018, 12:07 AM
FYI there a two NOE setup
1) For a press with a complete kit.
2) For a Star lube/sizer. You drop in a NOE “base” then from there you drop in individual sizing buttons for each size.
The top punch pushes the bullet nose down through the NOE sizer.
The base is ~$15 and buttons a $6
Well suited to the upside down press IMO.

nvreloader
12-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Oteroman

Can you tell me where you found sizing kits on the NOE site?

Tia,
Don

OS OK
12-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Oteroman

Can you tell me where you found sizing kits on the NOE site?

Tia,
Don

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=104

oteroman
12-18-2018, 12:29 AM
Thanks OS OK

oteroman
12-18-2018, 12:42 AM
I would be a buyer especially with a NOE Star setup.

sagebrush rebel
12-28-2018, 09:35 PM
I hope these pictures show up. This is my modifications to a Lee press for cast boolit sizing. These modification allow me to pull forward on the handle instead of pulling up. I built 2 different handles, but like the straight one best as it holds the sizer open since it is located back of the ram. I think the NOE sizer die setup would be perfect for this modification. The pictures aren't the best and if anyone wants more, just let me know

Traffer
01-01-2019, 05:12 PM
That Noe setup is very very nice. I didn't know they had the top punch setup in there. That effectively make's it a swaging die set up...I think! It appears that you could put cores in there and end up with a sized swaged bullet. (Somebody correct me if my perception of this set up is wrong) . If that is correct, it is exactly what my swaging die does but with the option of changing calibers and bullet profiles. Here is what I am referring to:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?373670-Swaging-lead-9mm-hollow-base

Valley-Shooter
01-01-2019, 07:56 PM
That Noe setup is very very nice. I didn't know they had the top punch setup in there. That effectively make's it a swaging die set up...I think! It appears that you could put cores in there and end up with a sized swaged bullet. (Somebody correct me if my perception of this set up is wrong) . If that is correct, it is exactly what my swaging die does but with the option of changing calibers and bullet profiles. Here is what I am referring to:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?373670-Swaging-lead-9mm-hollow-base

Not a swaging setup, just a push thru sizing die. You can use a Lyman top punch to size your boolits base first. Good for crimping the gas checks.

Clouds
01-02-2019, 06:50 AM
Has anyone used a Lyman/RCBS lubesizer for Powder/HiTek coated bullets?

Turn a longer top punch, remove the bottom punch and the ejector mechanism.
Then size them nose first and push them right through.

Ausglock
01-03-2019, 05:24 AM

Get Lathesmith to make you dies with no lube holes for them.

spoon
01-20-2019, 08:11 PM
When your ready to produce one of the Purple Presses I'm ready to buy. This is for CGT80

CGT80
02-28-2019, 02:06 AM
When your ready to produce one of the Purple Presses I'm ready to buy. This is for CGT80

My brother worked on the fusion 360 model of my second press, that I started to draw, and he made the press taller, but I was unable to open the file as somehow his computer has not updated to the newest fusion 360. Fusion isn't something I have picked up easily so I had to have some help.

This would help me skip much of the trial and error of getting the linkage correct. I will contact him again tomorrow and see if he can at least get it open and get me a dxf or just measurements as a place to start.

A bunch of other projects have taken priority over this press, but I did want to see if I could make something good enough to produce multiples of. When/if I do get one working well, I may have someone run it for a few thousand boolits and get some feedback before making more.

pastera
02-28-2019, 10:32 AM

This is how i size my coated bullets - the problem is that the bullets will stack and jam as they pass through the die.
To fix the jamming issue, I made a 3D printed guide. I also use 3D printed top punchs and seating stems - thousands of rounds and no visible wear.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3369335

Don't have access to a 3D printer - just make a ramp out of sheet metal or cardboard.

kevin c
03-01-2019, 01:16 AM
...When/if I do get one working well, I may have someone run it for a few thousand boolits and get some feedback before making more.

I'm in NoCal, not SoCal, but if don't find somebody down your way to do the beta testing, I'd be more than happy to help.

ETA: oops, I don't have the NOE set ups, so I can't help with that.

CGT80
03-01-2019, 01:42 AM
I'm in NoCal, not SoCal, but if don't find somebody down your way to do the beta testing, I'd be more than happy to help.

ETA: oops, I don't have the NOE set ups, so I can't help with that.

Thanks, I will keep you in mind.

It looks like I will need to order an NOE setup to ensure V3 works properly with it, as I also just use the lee dies.

Hammer0419
03-03-2019, 08:25 PM
On a full sized press I never noticed. Trying the Lee Hand Press with a short stroke. I found my NOE dies don't allow arm to come down like with a Lee die.

Hammer0419
04-07-2019, 10:39 AM
I have been using the Lee hand press with Lee die. Working out perfectly.

CGT80
04-07-2019, 02:55 PM
We figured out how to get the fusion files to open on my computer......I had to reinstall, as there was an issue with my copy, not my brother's.

Last week (and for a few more weeks) I have been staying at his place during the week for work. Unfortunately, we have been busy building (in the evening, after work) a CNC drilling machine to drill 110' lengths of 6" diameter hdpe pipe that we are fusing and installing at a landfill. Hopefully, I can get him to help me on the design of this press this week so I can start building the prototype for it. He also has the CNC mill at home, so I can use that as well.

Sorry, not much progress yet, but it is still high on my list of projects.

Chris

spoon
04-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Good to hear this project is still on the list.

Kenstone
05-23-2019, 12:47 PM
I'm bumping this thread to show how I added a Lee Bullet Feeder to a $30 Lee press for bullet sizing.
Here's a vid of another guys setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLu0mnsqf4g

A pic of what I've come up with:
The plan is to feed the Lee bullet feeder from a tube, push them thru the sizing die, and into another tube to be used on a progressive with a thru the die bullet feeder.
More info here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?382014-Lee-Bullet-Feeder-Die(s)

snowmanwr426
06-19-2019, 01:41 PM
I wanted to use my RCBS Summit press for all my sizing. I went a cheap way to be able to use the sizing die on my Summit, since the tool head moves down to the shell plate. 1/2" PVS I heated and curved into a candy can. Works great with .40 cal and larger boolits. But with 9MM or smaller they would start to bind in the tube as they got to the bend. So all i did was flip the PVC to the other end and have it pointing to the ground instead, Problem fixed.243807243808

fredj338
06-20-2019, 02:55 PM
I just use a cheap Lee C press mounted to a chunk of 2x12 & inverted, C clamp to the bench. Like $30

kevin c
01-27-2021, 05:02 AM
ETA: posted in response to a now deleted response, so I'll delete mine.