PDA

View Full Version : Armi Jager Zouave Help

amwdc
08-20-2018, 09:37 PM
I got a new to me Armi Jager Zouave made in 1974.Who ever owned it before me did not have an understanding using a properly fitting screwdriver. The tang screw is buggered up bad.My question is will the Euroarms ,or Chiappa screw fit as a substitute. The other problem is the nipple wont come off I have tried to let ballistol soak and use a repro period nipple wrench and that was no go. I let remoil soak for a couple days and tried a 12 pointed socket still did not budge.I Have not tried the propane or mapp gas. I called my local gunsmith he said he could drill it out but that is my last resort .

Der Gebirgsjager
08-20-2018, 09:50 PM
I can't help you with the screw interchangeability issue, but two thoughts come to mind on the stuck nipple. You could try an overnight application of Kroil, known to sometimes loosen things thought to be impossible; and if that doesn't work a judicious application of heat around the nipple to expand the surrounding metal away from the nipple. Timing is important, you must be ready to make the turning effort as soon as the metal heats up, or the nipple will also heat up and there is net sum gain. However, if it doesn't work for you, try it again after it cools with another overnight application of Kroil, because the heating and cooling may break an existing rust bond in the threads and allow the oil to penetrate.

john.k
08-20-2018, 09:52 PM
I have one of these,and yes,the screw heads are very soft......the screws appear to be a very fine metric thread.........I suggest the simplest cure is to weld up the slot in the screw head,and recut another at 90deg to the first.....To remove the nipple,I would first try heating it bright red hot,and let cool a bit,then drip more penetrant,ATF and acetone being good,and then have another try at unscrewing,when completely cool.....The heating and cooling should break the grip of corrosion.....Do this several times if necessary,but dont apply excessive force,as the nipple may shear.

Eddie2002
08-20-2018, 09:59 PM
I'm with john.k with heating the nipple then hitting it with some ATF fluid or oil. Gently tapping straight down on the nipple with a light hammer when cooling it with oil can help break it loose.

john.k
08-20-2018, 10:11 PM
I notice you say a 12 point socket.......use a square socket,a tight fitting square,and drive it on tight.....strip or round the nipple,and you ll be in trouble.

Traffer
08-20-2018, 11:05 PM
You may think this is crazy but there is a trick that I tried on the bleed nipples on my car that wouldn't budge and I was afraid of breaking them off. This is it:
Heat the screw/bolt with a propane torch until it is maybe 300 degrees F. Put a candle or other wax on the joint. It will melt and believe it or not capillary action will take the paraffin into the joint ...then unscrew as normal. (I can't remember if I let it cool or not). I was amazed at how well it worked. Better than soaking in any penetrating oil.
Edit: Here is a video of a guy doing it:

https://youtu.be/7qqMXXGgFQg

amwdc
08-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Thanks everyone. I will give the kroil and heat a try,if that don't work ill try the wax method.I am going to order a replacement nipple and mag spark adapter, does anybody know what what stock size nipple the Armi Jager Zouave takes ?

bob208
08-21-2018, 10:23 AM
pour the penetrating oil down the bore till it leaks out of the nipple. cap nipple stit up right in a corner for a week. take the damaged screw peen the raised metal back in place and touch up the head with a file. this does two things gets the screw head back in shape plus keeps you occupied while the barrel is soaking.

a little help. when you put the rifle back together glassbed the back 3 inches of the breach section and tang. then when you get it screwed down witness mark the tang and screw that way you get consistent bedding of the barrel. also the barrel bands should be lose.

Jeff Michel
08-21-2018, 10:32 AM
You can get your nipple from Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf. They should have a chart available for reference. It will be a metric thread, likely M8-1.25 but I'm guessing. Unless your in too far, I might suggest getting the correct square nipple wrench for your rifle. Until it shows up, soak the breech end in a can of penetrating oil, couple weeks won't harm it. Lack of patience is your enemy. Drilling out is nothing you want to resort to if you can help it. If it a stock, original nipple, it will likely be soft and not a big deal. If it has an Ampco nipple, they are pretty tough drilling and it's pretty easy to snap a small drill bit. Good luck with your project, they are alot of fun to shoot.

dondiego
08-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Before you start heating the nipple make double sure that it is not loaded. Have been brought loaded muzzle loaders before and bought one at an estate auction that was loaded too. Let it soak in Kroil for a week. Try to tighten nipple first, then try to remove.

fiberoptik
08-21-2018, 02:31 PM
Before you start heating the nipple make double sure that it is not loaded. Have been brought loaded muzzle loaders before and bought one at an estate auction that was loaded too. Let it soak in Kroil for a week. Try to tighten nipple first, then try to remove.

I bought 2 muzzleloaders that turned out to be loaded. One double balled, the other double loaded. Always check!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traffer
08-21-2018, 02:45 PM
AFTER you make sure it is not loaded...use the wax method. I was actually amazed at how well it worked for me.

toot
08-21-2018, 06:48 PM
in my neck of the woods guys soak it in MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and apply heat to it and take a 1/4 in drive socket and put the 1/4 inch part on the nipple fits fine and use an Allen wrench in the socket head, works around these parts. 1/4 inch is the shoulder size of the nipple!

Buzzard II
08-21-2018, 08:51 PM
I notice you say a 12 point socket.......use a square socket,a tight fitting square,and drive it on tight.....strip or round the nipple,and you ll be in trouble.
I used a Snap On square socket, and it worked for me. Good luck
Bob

KCSO
08-22-2018, 10:26 AM
You may not need to replace that buggered screw. You can use a bench block and peen and recut the screw head. I did and article on this for a machine magazine if you PM me I will send you a copy.

dondiego
08-22-2018, 11:11 AM
AFTER you make sure it is not loaded...use the wax method. I was actually amazed at how well it worked for me.

I'll definitely be trying this method on my next stuck nipple or screw. Sounds simple.

amwdc
08-25-2018, 06:55 PM
Update: I fixed the screw by using the ball end of small machinist hammer by hammering the top of the screw head at a angle toward the slot and and cutting the slot a little deeper. I sanded the the head of the screw with 500gr and, I hardened the screw head blue and quenched the head in motor oil. I file checked it and the file bit in so heated again this time it to a little past yellow and quenched it and it is now hard .As for the nipple I tried all the heat method with bp blaster , and then wax.The sucker still wouldn't budge so I let it soak with ballistol for a couple days and I tried heat again,still a no go.I took the barrel to my local gunsmith and he said he could get it out . I called dixie gun works talked to gunsmith department and the gentleman toldme the nipple size on the Armi Jager Zouave is 5/16-24. Will update when the barrel comes back from the gunsmith

Argentino
08-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Howdy,

Threads sizes for the Armi Jager Zouave are all metric.

Nipple threads are M8x1. This is quite close to 5-16/24. They might be interchangeable although they are are not exactly the same.

Donīt know about the tang screw thread size but I see you already fixed that.

Argie.

amwdc
08-28-2018, 06:00 PM
Update: Got the action back from the gunsmith he was able to get the nipple out .He said he used some penetrating oil that's used in magnaxflux testing and a little heat .He only Charged me 15$.Thanks Argentino I was just about to order the ss musket nipple and mag spark .He told me thread checked it as well gave me the old nipple in a little baggie that had a posted note 5/16 x 24 .Ill go on the side of caution and go down to the hardware and put it in the sae and metric thread checker tomorrow and post up the results . The only thing left is to order a sling and ill be ready for some load testing with my normal load of home cast 500 grain lee old style minie, and 60 grains 777 ffg powder .

Traffer
08-28-2018, 08:22 PM
Update: Got the action back from the gunsmith he was able to get the nipple out .He said he used some penetrating oil that's used in magnaxflux testing and a little heat .He only Charged me 15$.Thanks Argentino I was just about to order the ss musket nipple and mag spark .He told me thread checked it as well gave me the old nipple in a little baggie that had a posted note 5/16 x 24 .Ill go on the side of caution and go down to the hardware and put it in the sae and metric thread checker tomorrow and post up the results . The only thing left is to order a sling and ill be ready for some load testing with my normal load of home cast 500 grain lee old style minie, and 60 grains 777 ffg powder .

There are a few metric sizes that are so close to sae that it is hard to notice with a screw in thread checker. I would get nipples in both sizes and test to see which one is the best fit.

bob208
08-30-2018, 01:21 PM
I would advise a hot shot nipple. they put the fire where it is needed also you don'tet the hammer cocking. I even have one that uses number 11 caps. never had a misfire and they are cheper then musket caps.