PDA

View Full Version : bullet weight question

xwray
08-18-2018, 01:25 PM
I realize my question isn't specifically about casting but I suspect the folks on this forum have the knowledge to point me in the right direction.

I am trying to locate a chart/table of handgun and rifle bullet weights as originally designed to shoot to the point of aim for a given weapon. An example might be for the S&W 44 magnum - what was the original bullet weight designed to shoot to the point of aim for that handgun?

I believe that at some point every firearm, when it was first developed, was designed to use a certain cartridge containing a specific bullet design/weight such that it would satisfy its design requirements.

I have googled until I'm blue in the face but thus far I have not come up with the requisite search terms allowing Google to cough up what I'm looking for. I have found bits and pieces but nothing all in one place.

I'm not even sure such a thing exists but if it does I'm thinking the corporate knowledge on this site would know about it...any help in finding it would be much appreciated.

country gent
08-18-2018, 01:32 PM
22 long rifle is a 40 grn bullet. 38 spl 158 grn, 357 I believe was a standard 125 grn, 44 spl and 44 magnum was 240 grn, 45 colt 255 grn, 45 ACP is a 230 grn. Bullet weight isn't the only factor on point of impact point of aim, grip wrist strength eye sight, support all have a factor in this. As does velocity.

JSnover
08-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Start with a copy of "Cartridges of the World"
You'll get original loads but forget point of impact loading, they're too subjective.

shooter93
08-18-2018, 07:24 PM
That is going to be VERY subjective but I would go looking for the original factory load for a given cartridge. That would probably be the starting point and that's all. Some calibers like the 357 etc. had so many factory loads developed that it becomes hit or miss as to the "point of impact load" Even forgetting different hand holds things like barrel length will effect it and most likely the factory testing was done from a secure rest. It may be interesting information but the use of it will be pretty subjective.