PDA

View Full Version : Primers are locking up my revolver, any clue?

Stopsign32v
08-18-2018, 12:20 PM
This one is a new one to me. Was shooting the SAA today (it happened once before but I shrugged it off) and every single round did this. I only got to fire 3 before she was completely frozen up! I had to take out the base pin and man handle the cylinder out. Gun is fine but I'd like to figure this out so I can shoot it.

This was with 6.3gr of Unique and regular spp. The primers are ballooning out.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1863/42304445440_962fe199ed_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27sikLm)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1854/42304441590_18298a10c8_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27sijBY)

reddog81
08-18-2018, 12:37 PM
What size of bullet? 6.3grains is a light load for 45 Colt.

Every time you fire a centerfire round the pressure from the primer causes the to primer back out and then once the gun powder ignites and starts pushing the bullet down the bore the case is pressed back reseats the primer. Your loads don't have enough pressure to fully slam the case back and reseat the primer.

Sgtonory
08-18-2018, 12:39 PM
I have had this happen when loading hot glue bullets. If your load is to light it can cause this. I had to drill out the flash hole to keep the primer from popping out. What is book min and max for your load? H

Char-Gar
08-18-2018, 12:55 PM
There could be several causes, but to a 95% certainty, your loads were too light. 6.3 grains would be a good factory level load if you were using Bullseye powder. Boost your Unique load about 2 grains and your problem will go away.

JimB..
08-18-2018, 01:02 PM
That’d be 357 brass, and 6.3 of unique under a 158g SWC is right at or slightly above max. Do the other rounds that were in the cylinder show any setback? Have you changed to a softer primer?

Petrol & Powder
08-18-2018, 01:13 PM
There could be several causes, but to a 95% certainty, your loads were too light. 6.3 grains would be a good factory level load if you were using Bullseye powder. Boost your Unique load about 2 grains and your problem will go away.

/\ Ditto, I concur.

Stopsign32v
08-18-2018, 01:13 PM
That’d be 357 brass, and 6.3 of unique under a 158g SWC is right at or slightly above max. Do the other rounds that were in the cylinder show any setback? Have you changed to a softer primer?

Other rounds setback? No

Not sure if a different primer would be the answer. I've used these primers in 38 special powder puff loads and they did just fine.

Unique shouldn't require a magnum primer but I do have some I could try....??? I'm stumped here.

Stopsign32v
08-18-2018, 01:14 PM
I like my hand. Not going to step it up at least 2 grains! This is 357 Magnum and not 45 Colt! I probably should have been more clear.

jsizemore
08-18-2018, 01:17 PM
What boolit? I see it's 357 mag brass.

Stopsign32v
08-18-2018, 01:20 PM
What boolit? I see it's 357 mag brass.

158gr copper plated

Char-Gar
08-18-2018, 01:25 PM
I like my hand. Not going to step it up at least 2 grains! This is 357 Magnum and not 45 Colt! I probably should have been more clear.

Yes, you should have been more clear and I should not have assumed you were talking about a 45 Colt.

That being the case, your problem is not to light a load. In that case, I would change makes of primers and see what happens. If it is still doing it, then look to the headspace of the cylinder.

There also could be the issue of the firing pin hole being too large and the primer flowing back into it binding up the cylinder.

Check the firing pin bushing for burrs etc pushed up by the hammer strike. These can catch and hold the primer. I had this happen many years ago with a Colt New Frontier in 357 Mag. I stoned off the burrs and the problem went away.

What make of handgun are you dealing with?

Stopsign32v
08-18-2018, 01:35 PM
There also could be the issue of the firing pin hole being too large and the primer flowing back into it binding up the cylinder.

Well I'll be dang. You think this is my problem? Blued is my 45 Colt and stainless is the 357 Magnum.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1874/29177273067_fda9c50e41_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Lsi9Lc)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1894/43208137065_960e29c4fb_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28Q9ZNr)

redhawk0
08-18-2018, 01:41 PM
That's it....to much gap around the primer...glad you found it.

redhawk

Stopsign32v
08-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Gosh dangit! Now I have to deal with a factory defect and sending it back! Well thanks guys a ton, I'd have never figured it out alone.

mdi
08-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Wow, never seen a firing pin hole like that. What make/model revolver? New?

country gent
08-18-2018, 01:51 PM
That explains the raised ring in the primer around the firing pin indent.

sutherpride59
08-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Good heavens that’s a lot of empty space where empty space don’t belong!

Stopsign32v
08-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Wow, never seen a firing pin hole like that. What make/model revolver? New?

Uberti and yes new :(

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1768/42508283255_7c83878888_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27Lj4Dr)

ShooterAZ
08-18-2018, 03:32 PM
That's a shame. Send it back is what I'd do.

Stopsign32v
08-18-2018, 03:39 PM
How can they even fix this? The really bad thing is this is a ridiculously smooth traditional 4 click Colt style action in stainless steel. Uberti doesn't make this action anymore so if they gave me a brand new one it would be with a stupid retractable firing pin. What I might see is if I can return it minus my hammer and trigger. I dunno, we will see Monday.

Char-Gar
08-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Sometimes it helps to be old. Way back when we where shooting old black powder rifles. These rifles had lots of gaps in the breech face around the firing pin. When shooting smokeless loads the primers would flow into the hole and the action would tie up. We had to bush the firing pin hole to reduce it's size.

I had an experience like this with a Winchester 92 25-20 with a rusted out barrel, that I had converted to 357 Magnum about 1961 by Ward Koozer of Douglas Arizona. It had to go back to have the firing pin hole bushed.

On the Colt SSA and clones these firing pin shields are replaceable. I would guess the maker put the wrong one in. You could always replace the hammer with one with a nose of the proper size. The SSA design has lots of slop and most parts are drop in without fitting.

I broke the hand on my Uberti. Uberti didn't sell hands unless they connected to the hammer. I bought a new hammer with the hand and it dropped in the cylinder indexed just fine. I bought the part from Brownells and it was not very expensive.

Traffer
08-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Looks like the firing pin was hitting low and they just filed the hole bigger to allow the firing pin to reach the cartridge. I would think any decent gunsmith could fix that with a new bushing. But I have been known to be wrong in the past.

243winxb
08-18-2018, 06:13 PM
Drop the Unique down and the problem will go away.

reddog81
08-18-2018, 06:56 PM
It looks like they used either the wrong sized firing pin or wrong sized bushing. Should be an easy fix for someone who knows what their doing.

Sorry for the confusion as my first post assume 45 Colt.

woodbutcher
08-19-2018, 11:09 PM
[smilie=b: First thing that I would do is to send the pictures that you posted to them in an E-Mail when you request warantee service.And keep a copy of the E-Mail that you send to their CS dept.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

bedbugbilly
08-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Just thinking out loud . . .

In the photo, the bushing looks concentric . . . i.e. the firing pin hole is centered in the bushing which it should be. The firing pin though, is not centered in the bushing. So if a new bushing is put in, it still isn't going to solve the problem as the firing pin will be off center. I'm wondering if when they assemble thes, if they have a variety of bushings with various size holes in them and they install one that will allow the firing pin to come through it - due to the firing pin not being "centered"?

I have three Ubertis - a 38 special '51 Navy R & M conversion, a 357 Bisley and a 45 colt Cattleman. All seem to workouts fine and have never had your experience . . . and I really have never paid attention to the bushing/firing pin alignment. Now it's got me to wondering and I'm going to have to pull them out and take a closer look.

Good luck with it and hopefully you can get it fixed the way it is supposed to be without having to change pistols.

Once again, Char Gar's experiences solve a mystery!

Traffer
08-20-2018, 03:19 PM
You could easily straighten out the firing pin with a well placed couple of taps from a hammer. Then either get a smaller holed busing or if there is no bushing. Cut out a place and install one. Seems like a simple fix to me.
Edit...or you could cut off the firing pin drill and tap the spot where it comes out of the hammer, and fashion a new thicker firing pin to screw into the hammer. If the manufacture won't fix it for you those are some things to contemplate.

JoeJames
08-20-2018, 04:09 PM
It's either the firing pin or the bushing. I'd look around and see if I could find one that was not in that condition; figure out which is the problem, and go from there. A very good gunsmith could replace the bushing, or do some firing pin work. Until then I sure would not try on any Elmer Keith type loads in it. With that gap you could get a pierced primer, and then things could get western pretty fast!

Stopsign32v
08-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Taylor's is trying to blame the ammunition used. They said it's either too light or too much. As soon as I said "reload" that is what they went with.

Traffer
08-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Taylor's is trying to blame the ammunition used. They said it's either too light or too much. As soon as I said "reload" that is what they went with.

Their "representatives" are trained to home in on the "make it look like the customers fault" before even considering the real problem. They probably avoid 80% of their returned stuff that way. I had that happen with a several different manufacturers. Get tough with them. Ask to talk to someone who actually knows how these things work. Stick to your guns. They will give in and help you out. It is just a part of their cutting down on costs. These people know how to play games.

Stopsign32v
08-21-2018, 02:45 PM
Their "representatives" are trained to home in on the "make it look like the customers fault" before even considering the real problem. They probably avoid 80% of their returned stuff that way. I had that happen with a several different manufacturers. Get tough with them. Ask to talk to someone who actually knows how these things work. Stick to your guns. They will give in and help you out. It is just a part of their cutting down on costs. These people know how to play games.

I asked him to grab several Uberti SAAs and send me pictures of the firing pin protruding from the bushing and compare it to the picture I sent him. I also sent him pictures of 2 of my Ubertis (one being 45 Colt one above) and asked him why they didn't have as much gap as the one in question.

Stopsign32v
08-21-2018, 03:00 PM
This is his response. Changed his tune real quick.

"Kevin,

We always inquire about the ammunition being used, rounds fired, etc so we can verify all information before the firearm comes in for repair. Samantha will send you a shipping label to pick up the gun for repair.

Please enclose a note with all pertinent information for our gunsmith, along with contact information, as the gun will be forwarded directly to him for repair upon arrival.

We will notify you when the firearm is ready for return shipment.

Regards,

Ryan Hodges | Parts & Customer Service"

bedbugbilly
08-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Keep us posted please. It will be interesting what they come up with and what you think of the "fix" when you get it back.

I won't knock Taylors one way or the other as I've never purchased from them. I HAVE called them several times in regards to several pistols, their availability if they don't have them in stock - i.e. expected delivery dates, etc. I'm sure I was talking to someone in the office who happened to pick up the phone. I guess I could say that they gave me "answers" but I found it like nailing jello to a tree with the response I got at times. I called them once on a revolver that I wanted to purchase from them in regards to actual bore size - they couldn't give it to me and said I would have to call back and talk with their "gunsmith". O.K. I did just that . . . I don't know who I was actually talking with but they gave me dimensions that didn't even make sense for the handgun cartridge model I was looking at and when I questioned the guy on it, he assured me his answers were correct. I finally gave up and decided to not order one - went with a different caliber and ordered from Uberti - yea, i know, all the same but sometimes the responses you get when calling different companies just sort of meek you scratch your head.

Hope it all works out for you and you get the pistol back fixed the way it should be.

slim1836
08-21-2018, 07:35 PM
I would enclose a cartridge with the return also so they can see what the issue you were having.

Slim

Stopsign32v
08-21-2018, 07:59 PM
I would enclose a cartridge with the return also so they can see what the issue you were having.

Slim

I am as well as taking DETAILED pictures of the revolver.

KCSO
08-21-2018, 08:53 PM
That if ***** and needs a new firing pin bushing. The factory should fix this depending on where you bought it. Do not attempt to fix with a larger firing pin as that will not cure the problem. The firing pin tip should be rounded also or it will stick in the primers. I have had to fix two brand new lightnings with similar problems.