PDA

View Full Version : Castor Oil

GregLaROCHE
08-16-2018, 03:55 AM
A friend and reloader gave me some castor oil. He said it was great case lube.

What do others think about it?

Rcmaveric
08-16-2018, 06:19 AM
I dont know about a case lube. I have used just about anything as case lube. JPW works great. Lanolin is normally the go to oil.

Now bullet lube, castor oil is great for bullet lube.

beemer
08-16-2018, 07:33 AM
It works very well but is messy, same reason I don't the old lube pad method. If you try it just don't lick your fingers.

Wayne Smith
08-16-2018, 08:34 AM
It works very well but is messy, same reason I don't the old lube pad method. If you try it just don't lick your fingers.
Not a problem. It is the castor bean that the poision is derived from. The oil is not dangerous. Airplane engines in WWI used castor oil because of it's heat tolerance and it's tendency to move toward heat rather than away from it. Engines were not tight then. Pilots would come back from normal flights with a face full of castor oil.

jdfoxinc
08-16-2018, 09:14 AM
And run to the lew.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-16-2018, 10:45 AM
Many who race using 2 cyl engines use castor oil to mix with Gas.
There is a small amount of castor oil in my SL68B lube.

Taylor
08-16-2018, 02:20 PM
I thought you gave it to your kids when they acted up.

unique
08-16-2018, 09:20 PM
I have been using 50/50 Castor oil and Lanolin as case lube for years. Heat gently and mix together. Ends up being consistency of vasoline. Small jar last forever. Tiny little dab on finger/thumb, wipe on brass. Keep off neck or you can get crease in brass. Good Stuff.

Mal Paso
08-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Castor Oil was the smell of model airplane engines when I was a kid. The 2 cycle mix contained Nitromethane and Castor Oil and produced almost a horsepower from 1/2 cubic inch displacement engines.

country gent
08-17-2018, 09:25 PM
I had a small steam plant engine when young. It was fired with estes solid fuel tabs. The boiler held about a cup or so of water. Dad always added a 1/4 teaspoon of caster oil to the water when we filled it and fired it up. This helped lubricate and protect the boiler and also lubricated the steam piston.

Canola oil, sperm whale oil, castor oil and other vegetable oils used to be known as steam oils since they held up to temps and moisture to lubricate steam pistons and parts. Some of these oils were used for insterments and sewing machines also.

David2011
08-19-2018, 09:35 PM
Castor Oil was the smell of model airplane engines when I was a kid. The 2 cycle mix contained Nitromethane and Castor Oil and produced almost a horsepower from 1/2 cubic inch displacement engines.

Still is for me! The planes and engines have gotten bigger, though.

varmintpopper
08-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Caster Oil is also good for a bad cough. Just drink some and You will be afraid to cough. LOL

Good Shooting

Lind

popper
08-22-2018, 07:53 PM
Don't remember it eliminting'coughs', now the other end it where it goes.

woodbutcher
08-22-2018, 08:01 PM
:-D Hi Wayne.Those WW1 rotary engines were a total loss type lubricating system.Ever notice that the rocker arms were not covered?
From what a couple of WW1 pilots said,the consumption of milk or cream would keep down the runs pretty good.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

beemer
08-22-2018, 08:37 PM
I had a small steam plant engine when young. It was fired with estes solid fuel tabs. The boiler held about a cup or so of water. Dad always added a 1/4 teaspoon of caster oil to the water when we filled it and fired it up. This helped lubricate and protect the boiler and also lubricated the steam piston.

Canola oil, sperm whale oil, castor oil and other vegetable oils used to be known as steam oils since they held up to temps and moisture to lubricate steam pistons and parts. Some of these oils were used for insterments and sewing machines also.

Wish I had known that years ago, always wondered what steam oil was. In 1963 my Dad gave me a Mamod steam roller for Christmas. He bought it from Sears and Roebuck, I think it was somewhere around $25. We all waited for that big Sears Christmas catalog.

Anyway I still have it and it still works although I had to do a little repair work on it a few years ago. I will add a little castor oil next time I fire it up. Imagine giving a 11 year old boy that today, it would be trouble in the making.

Thanks
Dave