PDA

View Full Version : Lube, velocity, and barrel length

weeple2000
08-15-2018, 02:08 AM
All things held equal, say you loaded 2 bullets. 357 mag. They are the same bullet, lube, powder, ect. The first one is fired through a snub nose revolver. The second one is fired through a lever action rifle. The barrel on the rifle is much longer than the revolver. It will be able to optimize the velocity available from the powder. From what I understand, the bullet will leave the snubbie before the powder is completely turned into velocity, the excess will go right out the barrel but won't propel the bullet.

Because the bullet is faster from the rifle, are you going to have different issues when it comes to leading? Depending on your lube, of course. Is a 357 rifle more apt to lead than a revolver with a shorter or very short barrel?

From what I understand, part of the luxury of casting and loading your own ammo is the ability to tailor your loads to each gun. So by creating your own bullets and ammo, you could come up with a more ideal load for each scenario.

Mr_Sheesh
08-15-2018, 03:16 AM
The speed of the powder in your load "gets a vote too" - Red Dot or Bullseye in a rifle would definitely burn up before the rifle's bullet leaves the muzzle, but might just barely do so before the bullet leaves the snubby. If you loaded 2400 instead, you'd have unburnt powder in the snubby but probably less or none in the rifle, plus a fireball that could be impressive. If you loaded both with one of the 50BMG powders you'd DEFINITELY have unburnt powder left over, and maybe one nice huge fireball out of either! Might set your neighbors on fire even? (Not the best idea!)

RU shooter
08-15-2018, 08:27 AM
All depends on a few things with lube and leading issue . I've seen some guys on here use very very little lube on rifle bullets as in just putting lube in the little groove between the Gas check and the bottom drive band and pushed them pretty hard without any leading issues . I think/feel the good lubes a lot of us use these day we don't really need as much as we think we do .

mattw
08-15-2018, 09:51 AM
One of the biggest parts of this question was left out... when loading for a snubbie... one should choose a faster powder so more to most of it burns up in the barrel. Likewise for a rifle or carbine a different powder selection will allow for a slower longer burn in that big old long tube. If your bullets fit and are of decent alloy they should not lead unless the barrel is really bad. Slug the barrel, size the bullets .001 over the slugged diameter and cast with some tin and antimony in the bullets and it will work out. Gas checks might be a good option in the rifle or carbine.

Mal Paso
08-15-2018, 10:08 AM
A rifle doesn't blow half the lube out the cylinder gap so the quantity of lube might not be an issue.