PDA

View Full Version : Value of a Martini action?

Wayne Smith
09-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Gentlemen

I need to know a order of magnitude value for an old Martini action I had that needed some machine work - the main action holes in the frame were oval and the action wouldn't stay closed. Unfortunately my gunshop - over the course of two gunsmiths and two moves - may have lost it. We - the owner and I - are going over to their warehouse Saturday and look for it. If we can't find it we need to agree on a value.

This was an old BP? action re-barrelled to .303 smothbore - prison guard gun.

He is a friend, I need real world figures.

The Double D
09-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Was this an old original Martini Enfield or a recent import from Afghanistan?

Value can run from $150 for a Khyber Pass *** to $500 or more for a nice original .303 guard gun.

Most of the guard guns I am aware of are are .450, but it wouldn't surprise me if some .303's were around.

Out of round holes and won't stay closed sounds like a beater or Khyber Pass gun.

Wayne Smith
09-22-2008, 02:53 PM
This was an old English Martini Enfield. It was probably originally a .450 re-barreled to .303 guard gun. The barrel on it when I got it was smoothbored, but it was the No. 1 long lever action.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
09-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Wayne, I recently bought a complete, working, cosmetically rough shotgun action for $125. Hope this helps.
Nick

The Double D
09-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Well if it was a long Lever it should have been a MK IV and .450 caliber. The .303 wasn't put on the MKIV action. If it was a standard MkIV guard Gun fair market value is $450 to $550. Depends on condition. Have seen them for more, but have my doubts they sold for more.

This is of course for a complete gun and not just the action. $250 to $350 for just the action.

THe Shotgun Action Nick is referring to is a Greener and worth just about what he says

KCSO
09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I just got a working action complete in rough shape from Doc for $150.

The Double D
09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I just got a working action complete in rough shape from Doc for $150.

Who made the working action, is it a Greener GP, MH, ME, or Greener pattern Sporting rifle action. Or is it a Khyber Pass action?

Wayne Smith
09-23-2008, 07:02 AM
I really don't remember. It's been in the shop waiting for another gunsmith for over a year. Now found a gunsmith who's working on another piece, need to find the action.

Boerrancher
09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
There are so many of those Martini's floating around it is hard to say, but if it is a 303 and a smooth bore then it is most likely a Khyber Pass copy. I have an original Martini made by Enfield, in England chambered for a 303 brit, and it has riflings, it is not a smooth bore. It is all original as all the numbers match. While in Afghanistan, I looked literally thousands of old rifles. I can tell you that some of the Khyber Pass copies are very well done, down to the finest detail, proof marks and all. Don't let the fact that it may be a copy get you down, because some of them are very good quality, while others.... mmmm not so much.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

jdgabbard
09-24-2008, 09:23 PM
To be honest, it if was an original action, then you lost something nice. I would go in the $500 range. But, if the action wouldn't stay closed, many times this is due to the little retaining hole in the stock being somewhat worn. People tend to fix this with great results by slightly bending the lever out just a hair so that it catches better on the nipple in that hole. Worked great for mine. And I haven't had another issue, and you can't tell any cosmetic difference.

Red River Rick
09-24-2008, 09:52 PM
I was a gun show afew weeks back and there was a few Mk ll's and a Mk lll. All rebarrelled to .303 somewhere in Egypt or other arabic country. All where made by Enfield.

Same deal, as you mentioned yours was in Wayne, sloppy holes. The guns were in rough shape and the guy had the finger lever locked in place with a nylon tie. When I asked him to remove the tie so I could view the interior of the barrel, he refused, he said it was against the gunshow rules, I could slip a round into it. Whatever! I asked him why the other 2000 firearms at the show didn't have ties on them as well. He never answered.

Bottom line is the bore was probably a *** and he didn't want me to see that part, I didn't need to see it, I summized that. Bottom line is, he was asking $500, way too much, it may have been worth $250 - $300.

Here's a link to a gentleman here in Canada, lots of Martini's & Sniders, originals, check out some of the prices: http://www.denner.ca/weapons/longguns/index.html

RRR