PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red Strikes again!

HABCAN
08-11-2018, 07:36 PM
This is nuts: I hardly believe it myself, but it WORKED!

I must have inherited a bit of my mother's allergic reaction to mosquito bites, for recently I acquired a few dozen and they were driving me crazy, all swollen up and resisting commercial topical solutions like 'Afterbite'. The 'solutions' ran out, of course on Sunday when no resupply was available. Ed's Red was there, close at hand. WTH? Try anything! A dab here, a dab there..........PRESTO!! Itch all gumbah! Darned if I can explain why. So if any of you out there are in similar straits, Thank You Ed!!! I'm not suggesting a long treatment, just a temporary relief. YMMV.

nicholst55
08-11-2018, 08:32 PM
Ballistol may also work, if you happen to have any on hand. The German army used it on leather, guns, people, and animals (for external use only).

Outpost75
08-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Cures mange on dogs too.

Mal Paso
08-11-2018, 08:51 PM
This is nuts: I hardly believe it myself, but it WORKED!

I must have inherited a bit of my mother's allergic reaction to mosquito bites, for recently I acquired a few dozen and they were driving me crazy, all swollen up and resisting commercial topical solutions like 'Afterbite'. The 'solutions' ran out, of course on Sunday when no resupply was available. Ed's Red was there, close at hand. WTH? Try anything! A dab here, a dab there..........PRESTO!! Itch all gumbah! Darned if I can explain why. So if any of you out there are in similar straits, Thank You Ed!!! I'm not suggesting a long treatment, just a temporary relief. YMMV.

The full recipe with Acetone and Lanolin?

HABCAN
08-11-2018, 08:57 PM
I don't remember adding lanolin, but acetone certainly.

fast ronnie
08-11-2018, 11:18 PM
Here we have a major problem with yellow jackets. I found that wd 40 works well for those. Adolf's meat tenderizer works pretty good too, but don't like running in the house when the wd 40 is under the work bench. By the way, wd 40 also kills them if you hit them with it on the nest.

jonp
08-12-2018, 06:43 AM
Ballistol may also work, if you happen to have any on hand. The German army used it on leather, guns, people, and animals (for external use only).

I just used some for that. Ballistol works pretty good for skin ailments and minor stuff like that.

redriverhunter
08-12-2018, 08:00 AM
I have had good luck with apple cider vinegar, seems to take the itch away

owejia
08-12-2018, 10:38 AM
A couple weeks ago when weed eating my electric fences, the chiggers got into my boots and settled in my socks. When I pulled my socks off my ankles were one solid chigger bite, itching like crazy and driving me mad. After taking a shower googled home remedies for chigger bites and one is vapo rub like Vicks salve with salt mixed and spread on the bites. Had to sit around with my pants legs up to let the air to my ankles and this works really well, stops the itching and the salt draws the moisture from the chigger bites and they were healed in a day. The camphor and menthol give a cooling effect while releaving the itch.

fast ronnie
08-12-2018, 11:51 AM
A couple weeks ago when weed eating my electric fences, the chiggers got into my boots and settled in my socks. When I pulled my socks off my ankles were one solid chigger bite, itching like crazy and driving me mad. After taking a shower googled home remedies for chigger bites and one is vapo rub like Vicks salve with salt mixed and spread on the bites. Had to sit around with my pants legs up to let the air to my ankles and this works really well, stops the itching and the salt draws the moisture from the chigger bites and they were healed in a day. The camphor and menthol give a cooling effect while releaving the itch.

Good to know. A few years ago, my wife and I, plus a friend went to a shotgun match and got into the chiggers. It is amazing where those little buggers will go. (use your imagination and you won't be far off) My wife suffered with them for days and she had a LOT of them.

owejia
08-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Fast Ronnie as my step daughter says, they migrate to where your underwear fit the tightest. Often wonder why God created chiggers, still can't think of a reason.

Taylor
08-12-2018, 06:08 PM
I hates chiggers. But they die at 42 degrees F