PDA

View Full Version : 327 fed. mag.

pakmc
08-11-2018, 05:20 PM
I have a 4 inch Ruger(SP 101) in .327 fed. mag.. I've been trying to work up a load for it. and I think I've found it(them) i'm using the H&R mag. case. and i just got in 100 of the Meister 115 gr. powder coated bullers. it's a SWC. 3.5 gr's of trail boss works just fine, 4.4gr.s of 231 is a great load also. and 9grs of 4227 is a good load. these are not mag. type loads. just good target loads and they are pretty accurate. now all i need to do is get the Wolf springs kit.(I've already got the bigger grips for it.

TCFAN
08-11-2018, 07:20 PM
I have the same gun. I put a Burris red dot sight on mine.I found out real fast that my SP101 does not like the H&R case. Mine only likes the 327 case.I don't want magnum loads in my gun either. Not what I bought it for.I found 3.7grs. of Bullseye powder in the 327 case with the NOE 102gr. SWC boolit shoots very well.It has a big boom but no loud crack like the full house loads do.

This is my gun with some grips I bought off of E-bay

https://i.imgur.com/0LxoKl7.jpg?1

pakmc
08-12-2018, 12:09 AM
Hi TCfan, I just loaded up another batch of 3.5 gr's of trial boss behind the Meister 32-20 115gr bullet. they seemed pretty accurate this afternoon. my gun needs trigger work bad. (I love your grips) I'm using H&R mag. brass.(actually starline) If I can find a heavier bullet I then have some room for it to stick out of the case more than using Fed. mag. brass.(I really like big heavy slow bullets)less flashing de banging!!

Green Frog
08-12-2018, 07:50 AM
TCFAN,

I’m curious... how does your SP101 express its dislike for the H&R case? Does it show accuracy loss, hard extraction, irregular ignition, etc?? With my 327 Blackhawk and my custom K-frame in the caliber, while I don’t shoot a huge number of H&R length rounds in them, there doesn’t seem to be an inherent problem. In fact, that’s one of their attractions... the ability to switch to available ammo on demand.

BTW, what happens if and when you use good 32 S&W Long rounds in it? Does the problem go away or get worse?

Froggie

TCFAN
08-12-2018, 08:50 AM
TCFAN,

I’m curious... how does your SP101 express its dislike for the H&R case? Does it show accuracy loss, hard extraction, irregular ignition, etc?? With my 327 Blackhawk and my custom K-frame in the caliber, while I don’t shoot a huge number of H&R length rounds in them, there doesn’t seem to be an inherent problem. In fact, that’s one of their attractions... the ability to switch to available ammo on demand.

BTW, what happens if and when you use good 32 S&W Long rounds in it? Does the problem go away or get worse?

Froggie

The 32 H&R case never was as accurate as the 327 case with any load I tried. I really wanted the shorter case to work for wad cutter boolits for target shooting but never found a load that would do better than the 327 case.

Never had any 32 S&W long case to try...I was given 1000 new 327 Starline cases and that is the reason I bought the gun.I was also given 150 factory 32 Federal H&R factory loads and 50 of those split full length on the first firing. The rest I tried working up a target load with a couple of different wad cutter boolits and never found a accurate load. The 327 case was no problem.

pakmc
08-12-2018, 09:53 AM
I haven't tried reloading any .327 fed . cases yet. I'll work with the H&R cases for a while. I think theyll give me more versatility in reloading. I just ordered the wolf spring kit from midway. that should help . but right now 3.5 gr's of T.B. and a 115gr bullet is one of my sweet spots.

TCFAN
08-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Trailboss is one powder that I have not tried in my 327. I have used it in the 44 mag. super blackhawk with 215 gr boolit and is is a nice load.

pakmc
08-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Four gr.s of TB in ..38 spl. cases, 5-7gr.s in any thing bigger. good mild target loads and/or load a case to the bottom of where the bullets sits with TB and your good to go. (it works with any caliber, rifle or pistol.)

Green Frog
08-12-2018, 06:40 PM
The 32 H&R case never was as accurate as the 327 case with any load I tried. I really wanted the shorter case to work for wad cutter boolits for target shooting but never found a load that would do better than the 327 case.

Never had any 32 S&W long case to try...I was given 1000 new 327 Starline cases and that is the reason I bought the gun.I was also given 150 factory 32 Federal H&R factory loads and 50 of those split full length on the first firing. The rest I tried working up a target load with a couple of different wad cutter boolits and never found a accurate load. The 327 case was no problem.

Sounds like you got a batch of those early Federal cases we heard so much bad press about! I'm also wondering whether perhaps your chambers might be on the open side of factory spec. Those two factors together could explain a lot about the results you are getting. What size bullets are you reloading? I would experiment with larger (say, .314-.315") bullets and neck sizing only. I'm just having a hard time (based on my experience) understanding why you would be having these problems for any reasons other than this. Then again, there's a lot of unexplored territory surrounding the 327, so YMMV and vary very widely! :???:

Froggie

TCFAN
08-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Sounds like you got a batch of those early Federal cases we heard so much bad press about! I'm also wondering whether perhaps your chambers might be on the open side of factory spec. Those two factors together could explain a lot about the results you are getting. What size bullets are you reloading? I would experiment with larger (say, .314-.315") bullets and neck sizing only. I'm just having a hard time (based on my experience) understanding why you would be having these problems for any reasons other than this. Then again, there's a lot of unexplored territory surrounding the 327, so YMMV and vary very widely! :???:

Froggie

The 32 H&R ammo was some old stuff.I size my bullets at .314.The sp101 is more accurate than I can hold. I am not disappointed at all in the gun.Maybe I need to order some 32 H&R starline cases and try some wadcutters again.My trouble may have been the Federal cases.

trapper9260
08-12-2018, 08:57 PM
I use Fed.brass in my BH and had no problems.I am not saying it is not yours. Like was said there was a bad batch that was put out.For all that was said other then what I did I can not add anymore to what others said.

P Flados
08-12-2018, 09:21 PM
I have a 4" SP-101.

I tried S&W long cases and got much worse accuracy in a half a dozen different loads as compared to similar loads in full length 327s.

I do not have H&R mag brass to try. I would expect H&R mag brass to work fine with perfect sized, long boolits, seated just right.

Most of my target loads are BLL lube, no lube groove, 55 gr "pop gun special" from a 2 cavity mold I made myself. These need the full length 327 case as the boolits are so short.

My 327 brass is starline brass. It is not cheap and only comes in a pretty big batch. I shoot the gun a lot, but mostly with the light target loads. I expect the brass to outlast me. I think I have about half of the batch still unfired.

My gun will shoot 0.312" with PC, but I wanted to use BLL for target loads. For BLL I had to go to 0.314" to avoid leading. With 0.314" I have to keep the boolits seated deep to avoid difficulties in getting the rounds fully inserted.

Green Frog
08-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Trapper9260, is your BH one of the old Buckeye Specials in 32 H&R or the later eight shot 327? When I had my B-E Spl, brass was so hard to come by I didn't shoot it much before foolishly selling it. My newer 327 has no problem handling ANY brass I've tried in it so far from 32 acp and "shorts" up through the 327s it's chambered for.

P Flado, for what it is, I didn't regard Starline's 327 brass all that expensive, and I'm seeing them available in 100 round baggies now, which I regard as a minimal amount of any caliber to have in stock for reloading. I'm still picking up random amounts of 32 H&R and am up to about 3-400 rounds. Considering this is not going to be one of my primary loads, that should be plenty. As I typed this I remembered that I stashed a box of factory ammo and one of unprimed brass from that earliest run... I need to mark that or somehow keep it separate so I don't depend on it working well. Since my 125 grain NOE (314008) bullet is so long in the nose, I may use H&R brass to give me a bit more clearance in cylinder/chamber length.

Froggie

P Flados
08-13-2018, 04:08 PM
My purchase from Starline on 2/16/17 was several months after I got the gun.

The minimum order at the time was 500. Total cost was almost $125

I used to find 32 Long occasionally.

Not so much lately. Since I got the gun, about the only 32s I have picked up have been a handfull of 32 acp.

On a side note, I really have enjoyed shooting my 327. 32 caliber grew on me to the extent that I fabbed up a stub tube 7.25" for my Contender. Used a chunk of cheap second hand 30-30 barrel. Went with 32 ACP length chamber given that I have ~ 150 or so and I was tired of having so much free space in my target rounds. Found that my 32 acp range pickup brass has just too much variation in rim dimensions for my liking. Ended up fabbing a batch of 32 acp length brass with 32 S&W rim dimensions. Currently doing a big portion of my standing practice shooting with this little round.

Green Frog
08-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Interesting that 32 ACP should come up here. David Sams (the talented gunsmith who built my recreation of a Model 16-3) told me that he has had the opportunity to build several 32 ACP barrels for European 32 S&W L target guns. The ACP seems to be inherently more accurate and of course is very easily handled and fed in a bottom feeder. I'm thinking I'll probably try some in some of my smaller 32s (such as the I-frame S&Ws) just for grins. Finding that brass for reloading (after firing it in a semi-auto) presents some real challenges though. :roll:

As for brass in other 32 pistol cartridges, I seem to be able to bargain hunt now that I have a supply on hand, and it seems to be getting a little more economical. I got lucky at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and got 80+ rounds of mixed R-P and WRA factory 32 S&W L in sort of grungy condition for less than $10. I'll wipe off the worst of the corrosion where needed and shoot it (probably out of my stainless gun) then clean the gun and the brass thoroughly to add more brass to my supply. :Fire:

Silvercreek Farmer
08-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Are those grips still available? Do you remember the seller?

This is my gun with some grips I bought off of E-bay

https://i.imgur.com/0LxoKl7.jpg?1

TCFAN
08-15-2018, 05:51 PM
Are those grips still available? Do you remember the seller?

The seller is monticha2014
Here is the same grips I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-wooden-grip-for-Ruger-sp101-checkered-hardwood-handmade-grips/162085052642

Greg
08-16-2018, 11:05 AM
TCFAN

which scope mount did you use ?

TCFAN
08-16-2018, 05:51 PM
TCFAN

which scope mount did you use ?

I used a Allchin STS scope mount for the Burris Fast fire III SP101

https://www.allchingunparts.com/collections/sts-scope-mounts/products/ruger-sp-101-fast-fire-new-1

Jeff Michel
08-16-2018, 06:29 PM
Keep trying to work up a load with .32 mag brass. I'm in the same camp as Green Frog, I'm amazed that your getting such crummy results. I have one example of every .327 that Ruger has made to date and I've only fired two rounds of .327, everything else is either .32 H&R or .32 Long with a multitude of different projectiles ranging from 311252 to the 140 grain Sledgehammer including 4 different type of wadcutters . All of them shot great in a variety of loads. If your interested in trying different bullets, I'd be happy to send you a selection. Keep us posted with you results.

pakmc
08-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Hi jeff Michel, where did you get a 140 gr. sledge hammer bullet. so far the heaviest i've found for sale is the 115 gr. from Meisters. but I did just get the new wolf trigger spring and 10 lb.s hammer spring into my sp101(.327 Federal mag.) 4 inch barrel. I'll try mine Friday. the "kit" came with a 12 lb. hammer spring also. some people seem to like the 12 lb spring better than the 10 lb. one.
Pat

megasupermagnum
08-16-2018, 11:11 PM
The 10# kind of worked in my GP100, but I feel much better with the 12#. The 10# did not work in my SP101. I went with the lightest trigger return in my GP100 which resets with authority, but kept the stock one in my SP101, as it did not seem to reset as well with the light spring.

Jeff Michel
08-17-2018, 05:00 AM
The sledgehammer was a group buy a few years ago. Milhec did the cutting and 2 Dogs(member) was the Honcho. Here you go.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?361487-Mihec-314-140-PB-GC-140gr-311-or-314-(32-Sixgun-Sledgehammer)-Cramer-HP-and-Solid

And another:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?359537-ACTIVE-MP-Molds-327-Single-Seven-Mjolnir-Group-Buy

These are both in process or close to being ran.

trapper9260
08-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Trapper9260, is your BH one of the old Buckeye Specials in 32 H&R or the later eight shot 327? When I had my B-E Spl, brass was so hard to come by I didn't shoot it much before foolishly selling it. My newer 327 has no problem handling ANY brass I've tried in it so far from 32 acp and "shorts" up through the 327s it's chambered for.

P Flado, for what it is, I didn't regard Starline's 327 brass all that expensive, and I'm seeing them available in 100 round baggies now, which I regard as a minimal amount of any caliber to have in stock for reloading. I'm still picking up random amounts of 32 H&R and am up to about 3-400 rounds. Considering this is not going to be one of my primary loads, that should be plenty. As I typed this I remembered that I stashed a box of factory ammo and one of unprimed brass from that earliest run... I need to mark that or somehow keep it separate so I don't depend on it working well. Since my 125 grain NOE (314008) bullet is so long in the nose, I may use H&R brass to give me a bit more clearance in cylinder/chamber length.

Froggie

My is when they first came out and is a 8 shot. It is a 327mag BH ,I seen the write up in the American Rifleman some time ago when they first came up and talk with my gunsmith about it and got me one. I get that magazine.

pakmc
08-17-2018, 05:06 PM
I just tried the 10# spring in my .327. it will not fire the shells in double action. only in single action.(I don't shoot much single action.) So I'll be changing out the 10 # for my 12 in the near future. I was given some .327 federal mag.s ammo. I fired one, (never mind, I'll try something else, they kick, HARD!).

trapper9260
08-18-2018, 02:52 PM
I just tried the 10# spring in my .327. it will not fire the shells in double action. only in single action.(I don't shoot much single action.) So I'll be changing out the 10 # for my 12 in the near future. I was given some .327 federal mag.s ammo. I fired one, (never mind, I'll try something else, they kick, HARD!).

Yes they can . It works for me . beside all the others that you can shoot in it. Try 32 H&R Mag and see how that is for you.It is just alittle shorter then the 327.

pakmc
08-18-2018, 07:55 PM
I picked up a 20 round box of H&R and they where ok, what i'm loading is real close to the power of the H&R. 3.5 gr's of Trail boss does pretty good, 4.4 gr's of 231 does good and so does 9gr.s of 4227. I had to go back to the 12 # spring on the hammer and it shoots the double action fine(only one misfire.) I"m shooting a .313 dia. bullet of 115gr.sl powder coated. I'd like to find a .314 dia. bullet of 115+ lb.s just to try it.

trapper9260
08-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Good to see it works out for you to use the H&R .Just a idea just shoot the 327 only when you need to if the times come since for how it for you and just use the other 4 that you can shoot in it.How is the groups for you for the ones you shoot with .313 dia? If it is good stick with it.I understand to see if .314 would be better at times I was thinking the same.I will see also if I would go that way also to see.

pakmc
08-18-2018, 10:15 PM
i'll know a little more tomorrow. i've got two more loads to really try out. 4.4gr/s of 231. and 9gr's of 4227 with the 115gr. bullets.I've also had a real learning experience with changing the springs in these things. I also have the 10 shot .22 sp101. same gun just slightly different hole in the barrel. I might be looking at another one soon but what do I let go to afford another Ruger sp or GP????

watkibe
09-09-2019, 12:21 AM
Ah yes, I recall, I got rid of every single 38 Special case in the shop, re-adjusted my dies to 357 for the last time, and happily ever after shot any level of load I wanted, without ever once getting short cases mixed into long cases.
My .327 SP 101 with 4.2" bbl will be paid for soon. I am accumulating brass, mold, and dies. I have only Starline 327 Fed Mag brass in the wish list. No reloader's fantasy of " how many new cases can I start to load for ?" (OK, I did think for a second that a few H&R cases would be nice... But I resisted.)

The mold I am planning on is the Lee 90gr.314 SWCTL. I sure hope I can find some data for Unique, my mainstay medium load powder. Any thoughts ?

trapper9260
09-11-2019, 05:48 PM
There is data out there for more for the 327 now then when I first got my BH when they first came out and there was write up in the NRA mag on it . the 90gr will be a good one to use in the that round and you can load the other 32's if you like with it .I got my SP101 4" paid for just wait for it to show up now.