PDA

View Full Version : Evaluation of Locking Handles for Casting Moulds

texasmac
08-09-2018, 12:05 PM
The subject article was published in the August edition of The Single Shot Exchange Magazine. For those of you that don’t subscribe to the magazine click on the link below.
http://www.texas-mac.com/Evaluation_of_Locking_Handles_for_Casting_Moulds.h tml

Wayne

Bent Ramrod
08-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the article, Wayne. Did you notice any need to readjust the linkage after the mould blocks heated to operating temperature? Or was that taken care of when you preheated the mould on the hot plate?

Having to twiddle that adjustment screw at casting temperature because the block expansion was increasing the force needed to open and close them would tend to throw one’s casting rhythm off; mine, anyway, at least.

I’ve used the single handle Ideal cylindrical moulds and find that having two side-by-side handles in my hand makes it easier to tilt the mould during filling. A single round handle doesn’t give me the control I want. But maybe it’s something one gets used to.

That sprue plate stop is a great idea!

texasmac
08-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the article, Wayne. Did you notice any need to readjust the linkage after the mould blocks heated to operating temperature? Or was that taken care of when you preheated the mould on the hot plate?

Having to twiddle that adjustment screw at casting temperature because the block expansion was increasing the force needed to open and close them would tend to throw one’s casting rhythm off; mine, anyway, at least.

I’ve used the single handle Ideal cylindrical moulds and find that having two side-by-side handles in my hand makes it easier to tilt the mould during filling. A single round handle doesn’t give me the control I want. But maybe it’s something one gets used to.

That sprue plate stop is a great idea!

BR,

I had no need to adjust the adjustment screw during casting on either the STM or R & J handles. I agree with your comment that a single round handle does not provide good control which was one problem with the R & J handles besides the weight. But the control handle on the STM handles is close enough to the wooden handle to grab both handles with one hand.

Wayne

MT Chambers
08-15-2018, 12:16 AM
Very heavy and very unnecessary, locking and unlocking them is a waste of time, I tried them on a single cav. mold and it doubled the casting time.

Mal Paso
08-16-2018, 10:45 PM
texasmac thank you for posting. Not something I would use but interesting to see. I've seen a couple home made handles with a swing bolt on the back and a wing nut to tighten. It must work for some people.

AbitNutz
08-18-2018, 03:00 AM
I've had a pair for years and they work better on some molds than others. Some molds really seem to benefit from them and I get much greater consistency. I started with the original steel version and switched to the aluminum ones as soon as they came out. The aluminum one's weigh less than the big ole' Lyman and RCBS handles.

I couldn't deal with the bare steel rod so I put a light, narrow birch from a file handle on it.