PDA

View Full Version : Less glamorous aspect of our hobby

08-09-2018, 11:28 AM
While most of us probably spend more time cleaning firearms than we do actually shooting them I thought i would show my set up. Anyone else like to share?https://imgur.com/16x1Mzo

Tatume
08-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Jim Clark, one of the greatest pistol smiths ever, and the greatest Bullseye shooter ever, was once asked "When should I clean my gun?" He replied "When it stops working."

lightman
08-09-2018, 12:24 PM
I keep all of my cleaning stuff and some tools in a large aluminum tool box. I'm think I'm seeing some Sinclair stuff in your tray. I consider myself lucky to have a dedicated loading room in the house but I wish I had a dedicated table for cleaning. I usually back the truck into the shop and work off of the tailgate.

Grmps
08-09-2018, 12:46 PM
If you use PC or HiTek, you wouldn't have to clean so often

Kraschenbirn
08-09-2018, 01:32 PM
If you use PC or HiTek, you wouldn't have to clean so often

Since I switched to PC on everything but my BPRCs, I've noticed that I spend considerably less time cleaning than I used to. A couple passes down the bore with Hoppe's #9 to loosen the powder fouling (I burn a lot of Unique), followed by two or three 'snug' patches, and I'm ready to lube the wear points and wipe down with a lanolin pad.

Bill

sigep1764
08-09-2018, 01:46 PM
I clean after every range trip. Its not really necessary to do it every time as I go to the range every week, but I feel better when I do it. Rifles get a bore brush every 500 rounds or so. Pistols get a bore brush every time. Ive only ever fully disassembled one pistol, the CZ75B, to the frame and springs. All else is just field stripped. Every once in awhile I will disassemble the slides. I use a grease for pistols and a light coat of Rem Oil for rifles. Hoppes no.9 is the cleaning agent.

centershot
08-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Jim Clark, one of the greatest pistol smiths ever, and the greatest Bullseye shooter ever, was once asked "When should I clean my gun?" He replied "When it stops working."

Amen! There is more truth in that statement than most people can possibly believe!

jdfoxinc
08-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Try Simple Green. Cleans carbon like nothing else.

Cherokee
08-09-2018, 03:57 PM

I'm with Jim. With CB's, it not the barrel that needs cleaning; eventually the bullet lube gunk builds up in the action.

Smk SHoe
08-09-2018, 04:22 PM
I usually shoot my 1911 until it gets so gummed up that the slide is moving in slow motion. When I shot lubed bullets it would be 4-500 res. Now using PC, I'm wore out before it starts to show any more fouling than gun powder residue

17nut
08-09-2018, 04:24 PM
I have a Marlin 94 in 44MAG that is close to 5k rounds since it was cleaned last. It sees a boresnake 2 times a year wether it needs it or not. My 1873 CAA clone gets cleaned when it starts to bind up and the same goes for the rest of my handguns.

For rifles they get a cleaning whenever they start to spread/scatter.

Am i a bad person?

fredj338
08-09-2018, 05:44 PM

Except for my carry gun, I clean my guns when they start getting fussy. I wipe them off after a range visit, but full on cleaning, maybe every 1000rds? Precision rifle is probably the exception, it gets cleaned about every 200rds.

Hick
08-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Bore snake when I get home from each range trip. Disassemble and deep clean when it gets too cold to go shooting.

08-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Did not think when I started this thread it would turn into a "I don't clean my guns" rant. I was just interested to see others cleaning set ups and tools. Oh well. Never mind.

OS OK
08-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Did not think when I started this thread it would turn into a "I don't clean my guns" rant. I was just interested to see others cleaning set ups and tools. Oh well. Never mind.

You got a pretty good starter kit. Let's see it again in a couple years.

BNE
08-09-2018, 09:21 PM
Sorry, no picture, but I keep my cleaning stuff on top of a mobile tool cart. As for how often I clean? I try to clean them after I shoot them. Period. Just another part of the hobby I enjoy.

tazman
08-09-2018, 10:05 PM
I clean my guns after every trip to the range. The handguns I may fire up to 300 rounds during a long session. They haven't stopped working yet but the powder fouling is starting to build up ans if it is revolvers, the cylinder and top strap are starting to blacken. I like my handguns to look presentable.
My rifles get cleaned every trip as well. They get the actions cleaned up, which usually takes very little. The barrels I don't clean every time. It depends on how many rounds I put through them. Sometimes I will wait for the third trip to do the barrel cleaning.
I have a separate table in my basement where I clean my guns. I have a mat that I use with handguns and a stand that I use with the rifles. The cleaning supplies and tools are scattered over the top of the back portion of the table.
The table doesn't look any more organized than the pictures of my loading bench did, but it gets the job done for me.

Texas by God
08-09-2018, 10:49 PM
I use a ratty old MTM cleaning cradle, Tipton and Midway one piece rods. I clean guns for others more than my own. I've mounted hundreds of scopes using that cradle, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

samari46
08-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Just got one of the Ruger compact all American rifles in 7.62x39. Copper fouling from test and I guess proof firing was very evident. Hoppes wouldn't touch it. Butch's Bore Shine with patches and bore brush made a good dent in the fouling. Still had a couple spots that didn't go away. broke out the JB bore paste and after a bunch of strokes, cleanings and more strokes looks like they did the job. I'm thinking they may have used some other type of ammo than copper jacketed bullets. Hoppe's and Butch's usually do the job. Have some JB bore shine so will try it out. Kinda anal about cleaning my firearms. New old mil surps, commercial rifles and handguns all get cleaned when first purchased, then after each shooting session and occasionally do a few quick passes if in the safe after some time. Buy patches 1000 a pop. 2 quarts bottles at the same time and brushes by the dozen. I live in a small town and except for wally world and my friend's gun shop not much to choose from. Frank

mdi
08-09-2018, 11:26 PM
I have a "soak" that I keep handy. When I get home from the range, I'll field strip and drop the gun in the soak (mineral spirits, Kroil and either ATF or Marvels Mystery Oil). for revolvers I remove the grips and cylinder and for semi-sutos remove grips and field strip. If there's lead or copper fouling in the bbl, I'll scrub or whatever necessaty to clean it. Or if no fouling just run a brush and patches. Action gets a few "sloshes" to clean the innards and wipe dry. There's enough lubricant from the soak to keep the gun rust free for short term storage and just a little gun oil here and there (usually very little) in "critical" locations. I can drop the gun in the soak and come back whenever I feel like finishing. Really pretty easy and my guns don't sit around dirty...

44Blam
08-09-2018, 11:36 PM
I clean my guns after every time shooting.

I typically run some wet nylon brushes of hoppes and then mop up the rest of the powder fouling with some patches. I notice that my bigger bore guns tend to get dirtier than my smaller bore guns.

On new barrels, I shoot at least 50 jacketed rounds before going to cast. I don't do the whole shoot one, clean, shoot three, clean etc. But I do run some sweets through if I get any blue indicator from the hoppes. If I end up using sweets, I clean the barrel squeaky clean.

But my buddy bought an AK years back and he is specifically is NOT cleaning it. He claims that it's an experiment. I think he just doesn't like to clean guns. I have another buddy that never cleans his guns and one of them used to shoot dead on, but shoots like **** now.

Echo
08-09-2018, 11:53 PM
I knew Jim well. I started shooting competively when I was stationed @ Barksdale AFB, near Shrevesport, LA, where Jim had his shop. I bought my hardball gun from him, and had him do more work on my pistolas. He also traded/brokered airplanes, and would fly his own plane, with a couple chums, to Perry every year. One helluva guy...