PDA

View Full Version : More testing with my ruger 77/44 and the Lyman devastator

Tripplebeards
08-08-2018, 04:05 PM
If you have been following my past testing I was on a quest for MOA or better with this rifle and cast boolit combo. I ended up finding a load last time and posted it that shot .8" at a 100 yards using 21 gr of h110 and an alloy of 7.5 BH consisting of 16:1 lead flooring and pewter mix.

After testing a couple other alloys in water jugs and totes I Caught a perfect looking 155 gr mushroom. The alloy was a mix of 80/20, lead flooring and ACCOWW that I added an additional 12% pewter to the mix using a full max load consisting of 23.8 gr of w296. My plan was to try 6% pewter but I didn't do my math correct the day I mixed it and doubled the dose. I load tested the alloy the same day. The best groups that session came from 23.8 gr of w296 at 1.24" and 23.8 gr of h110 at 1.3". Both groups were shot at a 100 yards. I tried both loads again a day or two after again and had 2 stuck casings in my rifle out of about 60 max loaded rounds. In both scenarios I had to bang my bolt open pretty hard with my hand to eject the stuck spent casing.

In the mean time I ran out of the original 80/20 mix and boolits so I mixed up a 30 pound batch of ignots and some boolits a few weeks ago so could retest to figure out why I had a couple random high pressure loads. I was leaning towards the blame on my scale and recalibrated my 18 year old RCBS charge master as it was jumping around in weight increments while I've been weighing charges the last couple of sessions more than it usually dose. I called RCBS and they walked me through testing my scale to see if it was time to replace it and had me wipe my scale down with a bounce fabric sheet to kill the static build up. The scale sat on HOLD forever and wouldn't calibrate but after wiping it down with bounce it almost calibrated as fast as it did when I first bought it. RCBS said if if calibrates it will work...it's just getting old and slow. After I did the above It doesn't jump around hardly at all now and doesn't jump weight any more when I put my finger near it.

Some other posters thought my high pressure loads could have been caused by a thick PC build up or the heavy crimp I used. I switched from a multicolored coat of PC to a nice even,smooth coat of clear. I tried to crimp lighter this time around but it looks about the same to me.

Anyways, back to my range test today. I ran out of w296 which is the same as h110 so I loaded up a dozen 23.8 gr of h110. I shot 3,4 shot groups. The grouping for some reason opened up. My best 100 yard group was 1.8". There was no indication of high pressure signs but for some reason my rifle dose not favor this load anymore. Any one have any ideas why? The only 2 things changed was using a different PC color(clear) which it's a little thinner and smoother that the original boolit coverage and the new batch of alloy which I tested the BH. Both the new batch and original batch both tested 15.4 bh.

Then I tested 22.7gr of h110. I wanted to try this load being I shot a 1.449" group with 22.5 gr of h110 last session and was hoping I tighten the group and stay away from max loading above. I shot two three shot groups. Both measured 1.6". Guess I should have tried 22.3 gr?

Next I tried five loads of lil gunpowder with the same alloy. Started with 20.5,20.8,21.0,21.2, and 21.5gr.

I didn't measure my 21.5 gr loads both three shot groups were I would guess just under 2".

I then tried a three shot group of 21.2 gr. It shot 1.273" at a 100 yards. Guess this is my new load and it's under max so I won't have to worry about pressure spikes. I am guessing this is quite a bit less in velocity than the 23.8 gr w296 thumper load. The slower velocity should give my alloy a little better weight retention than the 155 gr slug from w296.

My honorable mention load was 1.5" with 20.8 gr of lil gun.

Can anyone tell me why my rifle grouped tighter with the 23.8 gr h110 a few weeks ago?

After trying 2 different powders with this alloy and can't get tighter groups with the harder 15.4 BH boolit I would have to say my rifle likes the softer 7.5 BH softer boolits. I might have to try out my 50/50 mix next to see how it groups. I think I'll try 21.1gr and 21.3gr of lil gun to see if it will shoot MOA with this alloy.

http://i.imgur.com/3YOof7U.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8bQrent.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EX8QKr1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0vznEHK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gfTCfsl.jpg

Tripplebeards
08-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Found my issue with the variance in accuracy. My RCBS charge master scale is done after 18 years of good use. I went to weigh the 4th charge today and the scale jumped around from 12gr to 44gr in a matter of seconds with a 21gr load on the pan. That $189 investment lasted a long time. Oh, well, good thing I have a $130 in cabelas points to ease the suffering. I called RCBS to confirm it. They told me to buy the 98940 light combo scale and a good second choice if I didnt want a trickler built in was to go with their 98915 model.

W.R.Buchanan
08-10-2018, 03:12 PM
3 Beards: You definitely need one of my Hand Presses so you can load all these test rounds at the range and not have to guess at powder charges etc.

It would make all your loading much more enjoyable and also make it much easier to do minor tweaks to the load, without having to do it all at home and then go to the range.

Watch this video of my loading my .44's at the kitchen table. It could have just as easily been the shooting bench at the range.

Go to my Website below and check it out. It will make your life much more enjoyable to use one of my tools.

Randy

Tripplebeards
08-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Randy, that's a cool toy! If I wasn't single and had a wife who wouldn't let me load in the house I'd be all over it.

Tripplebeards
08-23-2018, 11:34 AM
I loaded up some more charges to test the other day and cleaned my rifle and checked it over. The scope ring screws loosened up and the scope shifted a good quarter plus inch backwards during the last shooting session. I could see where the scope originally was mounted and where it ended up from the rosin powder I used to try and keep it from slipping. The I tightened the action screws as well. They also loosened a just a bit. Sounds like I had a few issues causing my 23.8 grain load to open up. I'll retest later today or tomorrow. I Also found a bur of lead build up or it was just some hard power build up under the extractor I removed. I'm guessing this might have been the cause of a few over pressured rounds messing with the head space?

Tripplebeards
08-23-2018, 04:37 PM
Just came back from the range. Between the new scale, tightening the scope ring screws and action screws, I received positive results. I scrubbed and cleaned the barrel with shooters choice before hitting the range. I took two fouler shots and tried my first three shot group at a 100 yards which measured .6"!

The load consisted of 21.1 grains of lil gun with my 80/20 alloy with 12% pewter added to it. The last session I shot a 1.273" with 21.2 grains so I tried 21.1gr and 21.3gr. The 21.3 gr opened up a little. I also tried 23.8gr of h110 that I shot 1.3" 100 groups with the last couple of range sessions before last and it opened up again. The only thing I can guess is that my alloy batch must be a little different and must have changed enough to affect groupings with the h110.

Here is my 100 yard group with 21.1 grains of lil gun...

http://i.imgur.com/KyfPU4G.jpg

Bookworm
08-25-2018, 05:45 AM
Good looking boolits ! Also, thanks for the write-up, there's some serious details in there. There's something fun about chasing that perfect group, especially with a firearm that wasn't really designed to punch bugholes.

What rifle are you using ? Did I miss that ?

Tripplebeards
08-25-2018, 10:02 PM
Good looking boolits ! Also, thanks for the write-up, there's some serious details in there. There's something fun about chasing that perfect group, especially with a firearm that wasn't really designed to punch bugholes.

What rifle are you using ? Did I miss that ?

A ruger 77/44. It's the stainless model with a composite stock. You must have missed it in the title of the post above. I bought it new last year and have only shot cast boolits through it. Maybe a couple hundred so far? I started casting last year and this is the 2nd rifle so far I've been messing with. I tried some lee 300 fn out of my 450 bushmaster first last year and quit testing after I shot a 100 yard 1.1" group the second time out and called it good. Going to have to go back to the drawing board on it now. On the ruger 77/44 I ended up Acraglassing the front tang area and rear action lug , free floated the barrel4 all the way to the lug, installed a vortquatsen trigger kit, and polished the trigger group on top of it and removed a coil or two. I have on a Nikon pro staff 5 3.5x14 40mm for testing but a leupold 3x9 is going back on it.

I've been on a mission to see if I could get it to shoot sub MOA with cast boolits. Ever since I bought it I've read nothing but bad wrap after bad wrap on how the ruger 77/44 can't shoot tight groups at the 100 yard mark. The best groups I had were 2" at a 100 yards before bedding it and free floating the barrel. It was rubbing on the left side causing fliers. After accurizing it I have had about 10-12 other different loads that I tested that will shoot .8" to 1.6" groups at 100 yards. Guess I beat the 77/44 accuracy odds. I've always have had an obsession with trying to wring out every ounce of accuracy out of every firearm I own. I'm calling it good with this one!

I'm going to have to take it predator calling a few times since it's a tight shooter and wreck a coyote or two with it. I can tell its not a good boolit for rabbits. I cut one perfectly in half the other day a 136 yards while it was mowing down my garden.

Kestrel4k
08-27-2018, 12:33 PM
With regards to the post above; yes there have been some complaints online about accuracy of the 77/44, but mine is extremely accurate:

1" avg @ 100 yds (3-shot groups, Hornady LE 225gr FTX)
0.5-0.7" @ 50 yds (5-shot groups, Hornady XTP, ~950 fps)

If I owned only one centerfire rifle, it would be this one.

I have invested /much/ effort into 300gr & 265-270gr jacketed with no good results; next efforts will focus on 240gr ...

Tripplebeards
08-27-2018, 08:20 PM
I haven't tried jacket bullets out of mine yet. Will some day and would expect more accurate results compaired to cast boolits out of my rifle.