PDA

View Full Version : 3030 coyote load help

shootsblanks
08-04-2018, 04:08 PM
I recently moved to a place with a very healthy coyote population (2hrs east of edmonton alberta), i cant really afford a dedicated varmint rifle at this time, but do have a pb 311008 and a gc lee 309 113 mold.
I was thinking of using wqww in the lee and trying to push them 2100+fps to flatten the trajectory a bit (gives a nice mpbr of 150 yards on dogs) while keeping groups under 2.5moa using either my win94ae or savage 340.
The issue i am having is load data, the lyman cast bullet handbook 4th ed only goes as low as 150gr. I was thinking of starting in the middle of the 150gr data but was hoping somebody here had some data for this purpose. my only other gc 30 cal mold is an noe 311195.
i have a buyer who will give me $25/dog so i dont want blow a giant exit hole in the pelt with a jacketed 30 cal varmint bullet.
All my searches seem to come up with sub 1600fps loads using that boolit.

Edit: rifle powders i have on hand are h4198, imr4198, aa2495, varget, and h4895. I would like something with one of these as i need to drive over an hour to buy powder. But if i gotta drive i gotta drive.

ShooterAZ
08-04-2018, 04:43 PM
30-30 Data:For a 110 J-bullet (M1 Carbine style) the Lyman 49th shows 27-29.5 gr of IMR4198 for 2358-2617fps respectively. Same bullet with H4895 (not IMR) shows 31-34 gr for 2074-2331 respectively. Hopefully this gives you a basis on where you might want to start.

TCLouis
08-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Yet another reason to have the 3rd edition.
What powders are you interested in using.
Third edition has loads for 115 and 120 grainers all the way up to 2200+ fps.

Seafire's Blue Dot procedure works here also.

shootsblanks
08-04-2018, 11:26 PM
Thanks AZ i will try the h4895, that 31gr load looks just about perfect if its accurate!

TC, any of the ones i have on hand, i have titegroup and imr4227 onhand as well but didnt think either would be appropriete for my needs, looking back 4227 might be workable as well, i will have to look into getting a copy of the 3rd edition if it has that much more data for a variety of cartridges.
I googled seafires blue dot procedure (case full ×.50 is max load etc) and while it sounds interesting, i have not seen a single pound of blue dot in any gun store i have been too, a few times online though ($30 hazmat fee for 45.99 can of powder isnt happening)

Hamish
08-05-2018, 12:04 AM

Quick pics from a couple of manuals, excuse the upside down please. Note that velocities from two of the pics are from pistol length barrels. I'm rather fond of 3031 in the 30 WCF myself.

Texas by God
08-05-2018, 01:04 AM
They should have named it IMR 3030 IMO!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hamish
08-05-2018, 06:28 AM
They should have named it IMR 3030 IMO!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The play on words really was "The One powder for 30-30", "30-30 One", the way I understand it.

richhodg66
08-05-2018, 06:47 AM
The play on words really was "The One powder for 30-30", "30-30 One", the way I understand it.

I have heard this as well and believe it.

Seems like most loading manual have load data for various .30 carbine jacketed bullets that should be good for coyotes. If pelt damage is a concern, I think I'd try to work with that Lee 113 grain bullet you have, get it as fast as I could before accuracy deteriorates and go from there.

They are tough, and if I were going to use a load like that and wanted to recover the dead coyotes, I would very carefully follow through on the shot to see where they run and be prepared to trail them. A young one decided to commit suicide a few years ago and walked right next to my stand during our muzzle loader deer season. A .44 SWC propelled by 70 grains of Pyrodex through the chest left a neat entry hole, but the far side was more exit hole than coyote. It wasn't going anywhere, but was still kicking and snapping by the time I got the rifle reloaded. Tenacious critters and there's a reason guys who hunt them like very fast expanding varmint bullets.

Mr_Sheesh
08-05-2018, 08:23 AM
In the past I've shot them at longer ranges with an 87 Gr. SpBTHP as did another family member, 400-500 yards often enough, as they ran; Coyotes are TOUGH, they would almost always change direction when hit in the heart/lungs, but keep on running. Unless you use a solid non expanding bullet or one that explodes after a couple inches of penetration (so it doesn't exit the far side) you will get holes in the pelt, and both of those bullet choices have down sides. Tracking them for 100+ yards seems about as far as they'd run with a big exit hole on the far side; A solid that went through & through would let them run a bit longer. (Maybe get a 2WD motorcycle for easier movement to chase them down?) Definitely tough animals.

trapper9260
08-05-2018, 08:54 AM
If you hit them in the shoulder with the 113 or 120 and do not mind to sew the pelt you will be ok. Yes they are tough animal.I had trap some that was shot during the shotgun season here for deer and the slug cut the lip on the coyote to cut the ten dent of the rear leg. just to give a idea on them.All I can say fix it they can not walk far for where you hit them.I was given some that was shot with a bow and it look like it did not go far from the one that gave me it the arrow went through it but alot of blood.I sew it up with any problem and years ago I was give one that was shot with a slug and not bad for a slug .The person said it drop in its tracks.Hope this will help.

Tripplebeards
08-05-2018, 09:32 AM
If you are really serious about starting coyote hunting You need to get an electric caller leave and your rifle at home. Call with the sun to your back and the wind in your face. I use a shotgun with lead bb shot. I've dropped dozens of yotes all the way out to a 100 yards with heavy bb shot and 68 yards with federal classic wingshot bb. You just need to find the correct choke tube constriction. I use a kicks gobblin Thunder .670" and it will put 5 lead bb pellets inside a 5" circle at 60 yards. Their .680" tube will put 6 #4 buck inside the same circle and yardage. Aim for their head and neck like your turkey hunting. There will be no pelt damage what so ever with BB loads. I've shot a half a dozen AZ called bobcats at close range (under 20 yards) and it folds their ears down instead of going through.

btw, all my calling predator rifles shoot j word cloverleaves. IMO I wouldn't take a predator rifle out in the woods that didn't shoot sub MOA and educate a rotten coyote that you'll never see again after you miss. It isn't like you are going to go out and see A coyote 15 min after Being out in the woods. Here in Wisconsin it takes about 20 sits and calls in average before one comes in...and after all that time I've invested in trying to harvest one I'm not taking a firearm that's not capable of connecting with it. If I was out in AZ where they come in on average per 4 calling sessions sure, why not. You have plenty of opportunities to miss and learn from your mistakes. That's why I suggest a shotgun. While I've harvested several moving yotes...I've missed more running coyotes than hit at close range with rifles but have always dropped them with the scattergun...and trust me they don't stop and pose to give you a shot 99.9% of the time. I just finally dialed my ruger 77/44 to shot sub MOA at a 100 yards with Lyman devastators and would like to harvest a yote with it just to say I did but won't ever use for this purpose after that or rely on it for a predator hunting. It's fine if you going to go out like the average person who tries coyote hunting, goes 2-3 times, and either misses or never sees one, and then hangs it up for a lifetime. But if your really going to get into it and want to start harvesting in numbers your 30-30 is never going to be the answer. You can take both with you to call set up and switch to the rifle did it stops at over a 100 yards and won't change me in. Yotes are a lot smaller and harder to hit than deer and I don't like to miss. I use a 243 with 70 gr ballistic tips loaded at 3650fps. I also use a POF and Remington ltr both chambered in 223 loaded at 2850 fps with 60gr vmax. They are pelt savers and drop yotes where they stand. My avatar is a 100 yard group out of my POF with 60 gr vmax loaded with 25 gr of benchmark. The 14.5" barreled ar shoots .3" at 200 yards. Good luck, sounds fun. Btw, no matter what bullet/ boolit you choose its hit or miss with trying to save coyote pelts. I've seen big slow bullets hit bones and the bones end up shattered and blowing big holes through the pelt...that's why I originally switched to a shotgun to begin with. There is no such thing as a fur friendly load out of any rifle IMO. You just get lucky some times and done hit a bone in or out. It all depends on shot placement. Which is why I only use rifles that can shoot cloverleaves to pick my shot...and it still doesn't work. I've found head on shots in the chest with my 223 vmax works best. You can't see the entry hole and if it exits you won't know it.

Post some pics.

Ps you can always pick up road kill try a bait pile. Sit a couple hundred yards up wind away from it.

Larry Gibson
08-05-2018, 12:03 PM
As mentioned, coyote's are tenacious and can be very tough to put down quickly, especially with a cast bullet. Having killed many coyote's I would use a 150 gr cast, were I to use cast, out of the M94AE (because it has a 12" twist which is more favorable to velocity with accuracy above 2000 fps).

However, given the choices you have I suggest the use of the GC'd Lee bullet in the M94AE using your H4198 powder. Start at 15 gr and work up to 22 gr stopping when accuracy goes south or any pressure signs appear. When you get to where you can buy powder RL7 would be my choice. Start at 20 gr and work up to 33 gr (Lyman #3 CBH for 115 gr cast). If you've scoped your M94AE then your goal of 2.5 moa accuracy is possible at 2200 + fps from a 20" barrel and 2300 - 2400 fps from a 24/26" barrel. I've a M94AE Black Shadow with 24" barrel and I get 2 moa accuracy at 2350 fps with a 118 gr GCd 311316.

Also as mentioned, shoot them through the front shoulders.

Minerat
08-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Three load recipes I found in the back of the 2008 edition of one book/ one load for the .30-30. All 110 gr j word bullets for powders you have on hand.

Varget. 34.5 to 38.0 gr. @ 2365 to 2572 fps --38 gr is compressed

H4198 23.0 to 25.5 gr @ 2174 to 2408 fps

Aa 2495br 33.3 to 37.0 gr @ 2375 to 2699 fps.

Lyman #3 has only has a listing for H4895 for a 122 gr cast in the powders you have.

Hope this helps.

quilbilly
08-05-2018, 06:55 PM
I use my 30/30 a lot in wintertime around here for coyotes. A couple years back I picked up the Lyman plain base 130 gr. mold and the coyotes absolutely hate it but the rifle loves it when it is loaded for a mild 1400 fps. with Trail Boss (about 85% load density). Using the Lee Alox and sized to 309 it will keep the gong ringing at 200 yards. I do have a Skinner peep sight on it. Rare is the shot over 125 yards, though, in this thick country. I am sure it would be a good load for hide hunting but, around here, the coyotes are all so mangy that it isn't worth the effort. A couple months back I acquired a Mihec 130 gr gas check mold convertible to flat point or two styles of hollow points. I look forward to trying those next winter with the same load.

MT Chambers
08-06-2018, 05:23 PM
The Lyman-Ideal 311359 is a 115 gr. ptd. GC boolit and is the most accurate boolit in my 30/30, more accurate than any of the heavier 30/30 boolits...just remember....1 in the chamber and 1 in the mag...only!!!!!!

webfoot10
08-06-2018, 08:01 PM
Hi shootsblanks: I shoot a Savage 340c rifle. My load is 26 grs. aa2520 powder, with
a pinch of dacron set on the powder not packed down, Then a 150 gr ranchdog 150 gr.
fp bullet, Lubed with BLL. Sized .311, 1800 fps. 1in at 100 yds. Only ever shot one coyote, just a
clean hole going in and dime sized exit hole. I'm sighted in at 1in high at 100 yds.
Should be on at 150 yds. And everybody said that the 340 wouldn't shoot that good.
Might be worth trying.
webfoot10

shootsblanks
08-06-2018, 11:03 PM
Wow, i left for 48 hours (still moving in, its a nightmare) and come back to everything i was hoping to find when i started looking on google and more!
Thanks guys!
As soon as i get my casting stuff set back up and my new range membership sorted i will post some results and pictures.

fastdadio
08-08-2018, 06:03 PM

This is good news, since I just bought a pound of it to try out in my Trapper.

barrabruce
08-09-2018, 02:52 AM
http://http://www.adi-powders.com.au/rifle/30-30-winchester
Any 120-130 grn paper patched ac ww pushed along with a healthy dose of 2206h(4895) my go to powder or 2208(Varget) will scoot along with good accuracy and I would expect it to do a job on a big dog out to 200 without too much hold over sighted in about 11/2” high at 100 yrds.
All without rattling your teeth as well.
I know they don’t lag to far behind hitting a 300mtre gong maybe 2400+ fps

Wolfer
08-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Ive shot a good many coyotes. With a good variety of weapons. If hit right it doesn't much matter what you hit them with.
However, Ive found coyotes to be very difficult to consistently make good hits on. A 223 does very well with jacketed bullets at around 3000 fps even on marginal hits out past 200 yds. At 400 yds they act more like they were hit with a 22 mag.
With the 30-30 both cast and jacketed, good hits put them down right there, not so good hits will cause them to chase their tail a couple spins and then scoot into the brush where the only way I can find them is with a dog.
I only use my 311008 with light loads of clays for plinking. Ive never shot a dog with one. I'm certain it would work if placed correctly. In 30 cals I use a 311041 HP, 45 colt I use what's in the gun, anything from the lee 255RF to a similar boolit with HP from NOE. 8mm and 338 cal the lee boolit.
Ive very near quit cast for yotes because the precision required is difficult under hunting conditions. However all my deer hunting is with cast and I often squeak a little while deer hunting so I still get to try a few with cast. I killed 2 bobcats last year while deer hunting. 1 with a 45 colt and 1 with a 50 cal MZ.

warboar_21
08-10-2018, 11:42 PM
I have tried the 110 Vmax in my Savage 340 and it worked pretty well. Never shot an animal with it but it was pretty darn accurate. The 125gr Sierra was accurate as well. I've never shot cast through my Savage so I don't know what works in it.

shootsblanks
08-11-2018, 12:07 PM
I have tried the 110 Vmax in my Savage 340 and it worked pretty well. Never shot an animal with it but it was pretty darn accurate. The 125gr Sierra was accurate as well. I've never shot cast through my Savage so I don't know what works in it.

Thats was going to be my backup plan if i couldnt get the velocity i wanted with cast, either a vmax or a 110gr prvi soft point at 2400fps, i just hate the thought of paying for a jacketed bullet if i can get what i want for 1/10th the price and some tinkering.
Plus while i am not doing it for the money, i do like the idea of offsetting the cost of calls/decoys etc with the pelts and dont want to destrot them.

trapper9260
08-11-2018, 12:27 PM
It looks like the pelts of them is the main thing moving and up your way they should be better then what I get here. You get more if you sew up the holes and wash the fur in cold water to take all the dirt and blood out of the fur and you put them up yourself.If you do not know how see if anyone around you willing to teach you. Also check with the one you will sell the pelts to.If it gose to auction then they need to be done up.

pls1911
08-16-2018, 03:03 PM
Don't over think your choice... Know your gun and your load, put the slug through the shoulders and your coyote is dead.
Larry Gibson stated it well when he characterized coyotes as "tenacious". It's attitude though; physically, they're nowhere near as tough as hogs.

shootsblanks
08-29-2018, 12:08 AM
FINALLY got to the range, it was only a 25meter pistol range, but i was allowed to shoot the rifle so it had too do for now.
I followed larrys advice and started low with the h4198, unfortunatly my rifle didnt seem to like any of the loads i prepared with the smallest group measuring 1.6" at 25m. i did seat them a bit short, i plan to load the same charges but seat the bullets longer this time.
That being said, i did try several other loads and am optimistic that they will do untill i get my soupcan load sorted out.
My 311008 went into .75" and gave me 1205fps with 5.3gr titegroup
Noe sc 311 165 went into .73" with 8.7gr of power pistol at 1341fps. I had these loaded for another rifle which was sold, with the mold and the leftover power pistol, i found 76 cartridges in a box after moving so these are what i have (minus the 10 i shot today) unless i want to replace the mold.
Groups were shot with a winchester 94 win-tuff, williams fp rear and a 1/16" red fiber optic front bead.
I think i will use the power pistol load untill i get a higher velocity load squared away, or i run out of them and i will switch to the 311008 with titegroup, i hear plenty of coyotes have died to the 32-20 shooting a similar load. I will just need to pass on shots beyond ~90 yards untill i get some more trigger time at a proper range (hopefully at which time i will have success with something a bit flatter shooting)
Thanks to everyone who contributed! I friggin love this place.

MT Gianni
08-29-2018, 12:24 AM
I agree with your choice. You should get an electronic call for the prairies. I can see some hanging up at 250 yards of more but others rush in like it's their last meal.

shootsblanks
08-29-2018, 01:25 AM
I agree with your choice. You should get an electronic call for the prairies. I can see some hanging up at 250 yards of more but others rush in like it's their last meal.

Thanks, and my next "big ticket" item is going to be some kind of electonic call, and maybe a decoy that flops around like a dead critter, as it stands right this second i am going to be using a simple cottontail distress call (was on clearance for 10 bucks, i couldnt say no to that) and this feather decoy thing i made with stuff from my tackle box and an old warped arrow shaft
may put it on a longer stick or even hang it from a low branch situation depending (those are magpie feathers btw)

If they do want to hang out beyond my effective range i will be sure that all they learn is what my call sounds like, no sense educating them with the rifle.

Wolfer
09-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Ive shot lots of varmints using electronic calls in years past. But Ive never owned or used any of the newer high quality and high priced versions.

Ive also used a pretty good selection of mouth calls. All will work sometimes but hands down the best Ive ever used is the Mini-blaster from Burnham Bros. At about $12 the price is hard to beat also.
By biting slightly on the plastic you can make it sound very different. I don't believe it matters what it sounds like as long as it sounds like lunch.

I'm pretty hard on reeds and carry spares with me. Their pretty cheap and I order 5 at a time. If I don't like the way a reed sounds I just pluck it out and try another.

Crash_Corrigan
09-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Sound, scent and sight brings 'em in. I sprang for an electronic caller with a remote which allows me to place the caller up to 250 feet away from me. It also has a feather waving device and when I anoint the area with a decent scent. This is usually an unresistable combination.

I sneak quietly into my stand area, set up the caller and decoy feather device and retreat to a location where my back is to the sun and I am in shadow and take a seat. My rifle has a silent safety so I leave it on until I take my shot and I freeze. I also wear a camo face mask, camo gloves and dark clothing.

I start out with a low volume call for a few minutes. If no action then I up the volume slowly up to about 20 mins worth. I then stay put for another few minutes and keep careful watch.

One time after a full 25 minutes a bobcat suddenly pounced on the caller and knocked it over and generated a pile of dust while he tried to kill it. Luckily my shot missed the caller but hit him. Cats move much more slowly than the coyotes and they are hard to see. The caller survived with a few bites and scratches. The feather decoy not so much.

I generally use my CZ 527 FS .223 Rem with fmj Remington factory rounds and a Leupold 3x9 scope. I tried using my Mauser in 6.5x55 Swede with a 110 gr hollow point but it about tore the dog in half with a shoulder shot from the side. The pelt was worthless. The 223 cuts neater holes but has less range and knock down effect but I can live with it as it is a lot lighter, shorter and less gaudy than the custom Mauser.

I will take 125 yd shots with confidence with the .223 but with the Sweede I can tatoo a coyote out to 300 yds DRT. However most of my shots are taken within 50-75 yds or closer and I always pack a sixgun just in case we have really close up action.

Tripplebeards
09-05-2018, 06:50 PM
I use my fox pro and lead bb shot out if my 12 gauge. 99% of my shots are 30 yards or less. Hammer of Thor! I use my shotgun being they all are running in full throttle and never stop for a pose. Close counts, I always put the bead on their head or nose and haven't missed yet. Call into the wind...with the wind in your face and the sun to your back.

shootsblanks
09-18-2018, 10:33 PM
Quick update,
5.9gr titegroup + 3/4gr dacron to keep it in place
1430fps
Rifle was my savage 340 with a williams foolproof (which i am no longer planning on selling). Group was shot at 25 yards so i will need to back off and see if it holds up at 100
Measured .452 including the flinch to the right, i didnt bother measuring the cloverleaf on its own.
I have no idea why the picture turned sideways

Mr_Sheesh
09-19-2018, 12:03 AM
Mysterious are the ways of this board's software! If it works like it looks you are close to a good load, or there :) Nice holes in the target too, meplats help there.

shootsblanks
09-19-2018, 12:38 AM
Thanks! And like i said, the one apart was a flinch, the guy beside me was shooting a 10" ar with a pretty brutal looking brake on it, he fired as i was starting to squeeze the trigger and i just knew it was a bad shot. that was shot #3 so i fired a 4th into the little cloverleaf, i went after with the caliper and it came to .113 center to center for those 3 shots! If group dispersion is linear (hopefully) and my aim is steady, when i get it out too 100 i could be looking at sub moa 3 shot group, i know 3 isnt the best indicater but thats what the mag holds and i only had the 4 rounds left after trying them with the 94 (grouped terribly with them btw). Will try not to get my hopes up, but it is hard not to be excited

trapper9260
09-19-2018, 12:09 PM
When hunting ,for how it is for me the first shot is what you normal use and sometime 2 shots. So if you got that with the 3 shots do not worry. For how I see it .

shootsblanks
09-23-2018, 11:29 AM
So i got out to my hunting spot nice and early this morning, 2 hours of fighting with a frozen call and a bad reed later i went back to the car and for coffee.
Put my call on the heater, drank my coffee, blew into my call three times to see if it was working and poured another coffee.
About 5 minutes later this little guy ran up 80 yards from the car and gave me a nice broadside presentation, and time to get out, load my rifle, get rested on a fence post... wasnt very smart this one.. i hit a bit back of where i wanted too but the bullet went where the sights were aimed when the trigger broke. My fault but thats just practice.
I would call pelt damage minimal. He ran about 25 yards and dropped.
Rifle is the savage 340 and load is the 311008 with 5.9gr titegroup and 1gr of dacron filler.
First coyote ever for me and first kill with this rifle, was a pretty great morning.

Wolfer
09-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Hey! Congratulations. What's that white stuff on the ground? Calling coyotes is reall a blast when it all comes together.
After coyote hunting successfully for a while deer become very easy.

toallmy
09-23-2018, 04:44 PM
Now I know what a coyote load is for , it looks like your working it out .:p

Hamish
09-23-2018, 07:05 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!. Nothing like it, is there?

shootsblanks
09-23-2018, 11:48 PM
It is great when it comes together, to be fair though.. i was kinda lucky the dog was dumb and ran straight at a parked car...
That being said, hell of a rush, not sure why but it was different from deer hunting.
I will be shooting many coyotes in the future of that i am sure

lobogunleather
09-29-2018, 12:05 PM
Typical coyotes are in the 30-35 lbs. range, no heavy bone structures, not nearly enough mass to upset bullets (other than the varmint-specific JHP's at high velocities). I would expect just about any cast bullet load in .30-30 to punch right through with minimal pelt damage.

I've shot a couple dozen or more coyotes with .30-06 cast bullet loads (Lee C309-170F, 30 grains H335, +/- 2000FPS, closely matching factory .30-30 loads), and that has been the result consistently. Straight through side-to-side, front-to-back, back-to-front, with exit wounds little different than entry wounds. Dead critter every time. Usable pelt every time.

Same load works very well in .30-30 also, and is deadly on Colorado mule deer.

Mr_Sheesh
09-29-2018, 05:47 PM
In a through and through with a cast boolit, do they change directions when hit hard (if running) like I've seen with J-word bullets? Just curious. Also curious on how far they run after that. Tough beasts, those. Bad pests, just ask any farmer!