PDA

View Full Version : danish krag

powderburnerr
11-29-2005, 01:27 PM
I just got a danish roller in 8x58R anybody play with this ctg.much?I am getting ready to slug the bore and cast the chamber . has anybody ever sized brass in the chamber ?you know with a hammer and chisel?
or not .........Dean

Buckshot
11-30-2005, 04:13 AM
..........Yo Dean. Don't know if you knew or not, but that's not really and old BP cartridge :D Just wondering what you're doing with it[smilie=l: Yup, I've chamber sized before. Did it on the Brazilian Comblain. Once I'd mangled the cases down to a reasonable facsimile of the chamber cast, I lubed'em up and used a piece of sawed off broom handle to drive'em in. Well, and a hammer too.

..............Buckshot

powderburnerr
11-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Buchshot .
geeeze I dont always shoot the holy black but I am thinking on a new barrel for it in 44-77 or 50 -90 when I get done playin with the krag round if the action is as good as it is supposed to be... and shooting it is going to be a practical matter ,I am not going to spend any money on it {yeah right}

I'm thinking for starters maybe use my .32 spl mould and if it isnt big enuf I'm gonna wrap it in paper then in the chamber formed case put a case full of 2F "ooops "you said it was a white powder round well then I gotta get me some of that smokeless schtuff. is that bullseye schtuff accurate ???? the name kinda implies it is .smokeless is ok to not pack in the case like black right ?

All this new technology is truly baffling .

these actions have been rebarreled and re hardened and the blocks reworked in the arsenal { so said} I kinda figgured it to be a hotter ctg than origionally built . but I am really needing a 50 ......or a 44 kinda short on them calibres........... thats the ultimate plan................ Dean

Buckshot
12-02-2005, 07:03 AM
.............I'm not saying it's the right thing, or even a good thing to do but some years back Numrich (GPC, now) offered screw on barrels for the big #1 Rem RB action in 45-70 and 444 Marlin. Now the 45-70 wouldn't have been too much of a stretch as factory is loaded with an eye to being shot from Trapdoors.

However the 444 Marlin was at least a 42K psi cartridge from the get go. I would suspect that that is really reaching for an action that really wasn't much more then wrought iron in it's BP days. Even the so called #5 smokless actions (1897 & 1902's) are suspect by many.

I still have the action, and at one time was very feverish to have myself a really nice BPCR built on a #1 action. I was going to send it to the Schutzen Gun Co in Colorado. I had corresponded with the gent several times. While polishing the slab sided action I thought I was continually getting scratches in it.

As I was finishing up with 600 grit I just couldn't believe it. In one of my phone conversations with the outfit in Colorado I mentioned that. The guy laughed and said what I was seeing were carbon or even possible slag inclusions, that had been stretched out in the forging process.

..............Buckshot

powderburnerr
12-02-2005, 12:39 PM
buckshot ,
thanks for the headsup I thought it will be fun and if it is in fact any good will move foreward with the project if not it will look good on the wall hanging on antlers, it is a remington action and not a husky , but your experiances will allow me to keep a wary eye thanks for the input.... PS I found some loading data ,and one of the loads was a wooden bullet .now that should keep pressures on the down side ,,a piece of softwood dowel??? good for wood rats maybe.. ............. Dean

NVcurmudgeon
12-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Dean, I have an 8mm Lyman mould that might be worth a try in the Danish Krag. It is a 32360 (PBFP.) Looks kind of Loverinish, or maybe Scheutzenish, with eight driving bands casting .324" in WW +2% tin, and weighs 229 gr. Next trip in your direction, or if you happen to go by here on the way to the big city, I could fix you up with a sample, or let you try the mould.

versifier
12-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Powderburner, wooden bullets? Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Any info you'd care to share from the data you have would be of great interest. Weights, lengths, kind of wood, powders used, charge weights. I had a thought some years back about using small wooden bullets for indoor rodent control in small calibers, like filling the shotgun shells with rice, but never followed up on it. Now you've gone and got me thinking again. Hazardous thing, thinking.... :Fire:

powderburnerr
12-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Versifier :there is a bit of data at www.poisontooth.com/~dutchman/858rd.html and in there they have a pic of a swedish military wooden blank ,so why not cut it down put some unique under it and shoot varmits?the germans did that towards the end of the war as well .

Curmudgeon : damn thats hard to spell right with out lookin.
thank you for the generous offer ,I may take you up on it after a bit I have a couple 32 moulds that might workbut I like the idea of all them grease grooves.....Dean

Melby
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
From 1889 when the K/J rifle was adoptet by the Danish military until 1908 the 8x58RD was loaded with something like 80 grains og BP under at jacketed bullet. Not until 1892 when the only Danish powder factory had come up with a decent smokeless they were loaded with that. BP loads was something like 530m/s~1750fps and with smokeless the speed rose to 670m/s~2200fps.
Generally the bore is .323" and i use jacketed in that size. Use loads for 8x57JS and work from there.
Brass can be made from 45-70.
The left one is a downsized 45-70, annealed the neck and sized in one go.
http://bildbanken.nordiq.net/pic/8x58-45-70.jpg

powderburnerr
12-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Melby ,
Thanks for the picture it helped a lot ,the neck annealing I did I didnt go far enough down and had stuck cases , { formed the brass in the chamber } The dies are still on the way . . the barrel looks brand new ,shiny and sharp rifling ,and the action is crisp and clean , Wood is a bit ratty but thats not a big deal , saved 6 out of 10 rounds started with so those are pretty good odds , gonna fireform the cases this pm if the fog lifts . there appears to be a loooong taper in the throat but the 200 + bullets should work good even with the holy black it was kinda fun building up the brass and getting stuff set for it to go shoot, way more fun then just buying brass and bullets and slaping them together ,also was glad for the lathe ,had to turn a few tho, off the rim both circumferance and thickness . I'm fire forming with 165 gn pure lead bullets for a 32-40 from an old winchester mould , then tomorrow we dig into the neighbors mould stash and see what we come up with. If that proves fruitless I'm gonna hit up Nv Crumugeon for a handful of the schutzen bullets he so graciously offered,,,,,,,,,,makin smoke ,,,maybe........ Dean

fiberoptik
12-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Powderburner, wooden bullets? Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Any info you'd care to share from the data you have would be of great interest. Weights, lengths, kind of wood, powders used, charge weights. I had a thought some years back about using small wooden bullets for indoor rodent control in small calibers, like filling the shotgun shells with rice, but never followed up on it. Now you've gone and got me thinking again. Hazardous thing, thinking.... :Fire:

Dunno about rice, but rock salt worked mighty fine on a "school buddy" taking 2am strolls through my garage. He was still rubbin his **** at the bus stop the next mornin. I says, "That rocksalt smarts some, eh? Next time I'll use buckshot!" :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

hurricane92
12-16-2005, 03:16 PM
I've been looking for a cast bullet to use in my newly acquired 8x58R rolling block. I found a 225 gr mould at www.midsouthshooterssupply.com which should work well. The stock number is 006-8MMMAX.

Buckshot
12-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Melby and Hurricane92, welcome to the board guys! Hurricane, that slug is designed by Oldfeller, a member here.

................Buckshot