PDA

View Full Version : spout hole plugged, Lyman 20 pot

odette
08-04-2018, 11:23 AM
I have a old Lyman 20 pot and the lead will not flow from the down spout. I had the lead at 715 degrees by my thermometer and tried to run a small drill bit on a vicegrip up the hole to unplug it and it did not clear it as it normally does. If I heat up the lead again to 700 degree, would it be safe to heat the spout with a propane torch and see if it will unplug. Or do I need to try to drill it open.

tazman
08-04-2018, 11:27 AM
The propane torch will work fine. I have done that on several occasions.

GLynn41
08-04-2018, 12:41 PM
and that is why I am a dipper :))

jimkim
08-04-2018, 01:31 PM
I have a Lee pot that has something driven or screwed in the spout. It was a gift. I have given up on getting it out. I am going to use it with my ladle.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

MT Gianni
08-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Get a one lb Rowell and never look back.

Paper Puncher
08-04-2018, 06:51 PM
I have to use a torch on my old Lyman 20 spout every once in a while. I use one of those push button and it lights torches. It occurs most often when casting light bullets in single cavity molds. Combine low casting temperature and slow flow rate you wind up with not much lead flowing thru the tip so it can cool below the melting point of the lead.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-04-2018, 07:34 PM
I have a small butane torch with 'trigger' ignite system.
It works great to heat up a bottom pour spout.

Also, I use a right angle Allen wrench (of the correct size) to clean out a plugged spout on a pot that it up to casting temperature.

lightman
08-04-2018, 07:43 PM
I've taken the bottom off of several pots in the past so that there is room for a drill. I'll run a drill bit of the correct size into the orifice to clean it out. You have to get the lead molten first and dump it out. This not only gets the lead but cuts the scale and slag out. If I go to the trouble to do that I'll also polish the plunger with some emory cloth.

Grmps
08-04-2018, 09:12 PM
and that is why I am a dipper :))

Does that mean you like dips? :)

Grmps
08-04-2018, 09:17 PM
I have a Lee pot that has something driven or screwed in the spout. It was a gift. I have given up on getting it out. I am going to use it with my ladle.

You can get a new pot for free with $10.77 shipping and handling

https://leeprecision.com/pot-20lb-standard.html

243winxb
08-04-2018, 09:43 PM
700, try 900

jimkim
08-05-2018, 11:54 AM
You can get a new pot for free with $10.77 shipping and handling

https://leeprecision.com/pot-20lb-standard.htmlI have a Lyman XX pot I use most of the time. I only use my Lee pots to keep the Lyman topped off.

varmintpopper
08-06-2018, 10:45 PM
I have learned not to run my pot all the way empty while casting, as any crud that is floating on top of the melt can and will plug the spout.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Tom W.
08-06-2018, 11:52 PM
I use a big paper clip and a pair of pliers when that happens. It's usually junk that finds it's way down there when I run too much alloy out. I have had to drain the pot once in the last 15 years and use some valve grinding compound on the rod that stops the flow to reseat it. I generally run my pot hotter than some people advocate, as it pours better with less problems.

beagle
08-06-2018, 11:52 PM
Before you try that drilling method. Heat the pot to normal temp and touch a candle or beeswax to the bottom of the spout. You'll get some smoke. Do this several times and then using a straightened out heavy duty paper clip and a pair of forcepts, run it up into the bottom of the spout and usually this will open it. The wax seems to act as a flux and loosen the crud built up in the tube. Use gloves during this operation. Old crud gets built up in them and is hard to remove. Once free, empty the pot and scrub the inside with a brass brush. Clean the rod while you're at it and take a tapered dowel with a piece of crocus cloth and polish the seat for the rod. This will eliminate dripping as the rod depends on a metal to metal seal to eliminate leaking. Cleaning down to the spout is good as well if you can find the right size rod (coat hanger?). You'll be surprised how much crud comes out even using clean ingots and fluxing. Range lead is really bad about this and even WWs will do it. Do mine about once a year./beagle

MT Gianni
08-07-2018, 01:04 PM
When you do it Beagles way, put a 90 bend in the clip and use pliers. It is easier on fingers.

Char-Gar
08-07-2018, 01:15 PM
"Cold Spout" is a common issue with bottom draw furnaces. You can use a torch to heat the spout or a small drill bit held in vise grips from the bottom. Either method works.