PDA

View Full Version : Nose sizing is there a simple cheap solution ?

RU shooter
08-01-2018, 05:34 PM
I've been just dealing with the nose on my Lee 358-200 bullets near the bottom of the nose near the top band I'm just a bit too big almost 2 thou to chamber in my short throat 35 Rem unless I seat deeper to compensate . Tried a softer alloy still not small enough I don't want to get any softer than 50/50 ww /pure . Has anyone dealt with nose sizing on a inexpensive diy at home level ? I know NOE has a little tool to do this job but honestly i can't justify the cost 50bucks . anyone have a solution that don't involve a serious machine shop equipment .

Tim

popper
08-01-2018, 06:06 PM
Hone out a fender washer to proper size, Place on nose & use your press to move some PB. Tap out with hammer and then body size.

gpidaho
08-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Hone out a fender washer to proper size, Place on nose & use your press to move some PB. Tap out with hammer and then body size. There you go RU Shooter. That's about down, dirty and inexpensive as it gets. Post how it works might save a few folks some money. Gp

RU shooter
08-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Simplisticly brilliant ! Thank you a lot easier than what I was thinking . I will indeed do that tomorrow at work .

John McCorkle
08-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Dang it, that is a great idea

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

John McCorkle
08-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Hone out a fender washer to proper size, Place on nose & use your press to move some PB. Tap out with hammer and then body size.I'm thinking through this, drill/punch hole in center smaller than diameter and work up diameter with dowel rod and sand paper...getting finer and finer grit as you near final diameter. Roll fender washer/freeze plug on leg and hold dowel to keep hole concentric?

This sound logical or am I missing a consideration here?

Rcmaveric
08-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Don't forget to countersink/bevel that center hole edge. That way you swage down the bullet and don't scrap off the PB.

John McCorkle
08-01-2018, 09:10 PM
Don't forget to countersink/bevel that center hole edge. That way you swage down the bullet and don't scrap off the PB.Good point and a thought here too...without a lathe how do I chamfer that hole correctly

John McCorkle
08-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Don't forget to countersink/bevel that center hole edge. That way you swage down the bullet and don't scrap off the PB.Also, nose diameter half a thousand over right at or just under bore?

popper
08-01-2018, 10:22 PM
I just used a dremel tapered grinding stone and finished with a polishing pad & clover.