PDA

View Full Version : Pear Cobbler

Blackwater
09-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Boys, this is the first year our young pear tree has born really well, but like all pear trees, it DID bear REALLY well. I'm supposed to be trying to lose some weight, but that darn tree didn't help a bit. I got this recipe from my church's cookbook, and it's from a neighbor and lifelong friend, so I can't claim credit, but it's so darn good, quick and easy, I thought I'd pass it along:

Take a med. size casserole dish or like vessel, and peel & cut up enough pears to stack up about 1.5" deep. Deeper and the top won't brown and the center will be slow to cook, and it'll take longer than it ouht to to cook completely.

Then mix up 1 cup of self rising flour with 1 cup of sugar. I like half or more of the cup of sugar to be brown sugar. It just seems to taste better to me for this dish. Add in 1 tsp of ground cinnamon, and mix well.

Then melt 1 stick of butter or 1/2 cup of margerine (Smart Balance brand retains its "buttery" flavor well when melted or in cooking, I've found) in the microwave, and pour into the flour/sugar/cinnamon mix, and stir well until it's thoroughly mixed together.

Then take a little milk, and thin just enough to thin the mix to where it'll flow like cool syrup. Pour this mix over the pears in the dish, and you'll need your stirring spoon to rake it all out into the cobbler.

Then just stick in a 360 degree oven and set the timer for 30 minutes. When the timer goes off, check it, and if the top isn't light brown, let it cook until it is. Shouldn't take more than 45-50 minutes at most, and then only if your pears were stacked in too deep.

Smells GREAT when cooking, and by the time it's done, that aroma will have put a real edge on your appetite.

Just don't cook one if you're on a diet. My wife's at that stage of life where she likes a little something sweet every day, and when we've eaten one cobbler, she's constantly wanting me to make another. I've been too "easy" to get to do this, but .... make one yourself and see if you can blame me.

Oh! This same recipe will work with almost any fresh fruit that you like - blueberries, etc. Quick, easy and GOOD!

Rick N Bama
09-23-2008, 05:44 AM
We came into a bunch of pears this year & last week my wife cooked up a Pear Cobbler using a made up recipe. It was first for us & I'll have to say it was great! I think I'll be planting my own tree soon.

Rick

Slowpoke
09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Around here alot of pears are made into Moonshine, and then the leavings are dumped under your favorite tree stand. Waste not want not!

Good eating( hic-up) I mean drinking :)

kodiak1
09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Slowpoke don't you mean SQUEEZIN'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That should make excellent deer attractant ( We can't bait up here).

Ken.

Rick N Bama
09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Around here alot of pears are made into Moonshine, and then the leavings are dumped under your favorite tree stand. Waste not want not!

Good eating( hic-up) I mean drinking :)

Pear Moonshine? Just last week I heard of Peach, Apple & Blackberry.

Rick

Slowpoke
09-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Pear Moonshine? Just last week I heard of Peach, Apple & Blackberry.

Rick

Yep I guess it just follows the season late spring early summer its Blackberry, then mid to late it's peach, then its apple and pear time.

I am no expert on the subject by any means (hic-up) but unlike wine I don't believe my palate is sophisticated enough to tell you what it was made with once its been distilled and bottled.

Have fun

Slowpoke
09-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Slowpoke don't you mean SQUEEZIN'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That should make excellent deer attractant ( We can't bait up here).

Ken.

We are not supposed to use bait around here as well.

I just can't help myself sometimes, you know like the leavings from the squeezing's :) it just seems natural to dump it near a stand.

Or a strategically placed chunk of salt, and my favorite a nylon stocking full of brown sugar tied up high on branch so the dew run's off and makes a lick on that nice flat rock you spent half a day looking for and toting up that damn hill.

good luck