PDA

View Full Version : Just feel'n good

mugsie
09-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm sitting here downing a couple of drinks and feeling good about everything. One of the things I'm feeling good about is casting: for instance, the other night I got home from work, set up the little melting pot and started to cast for my 44 mag. I love casting. I love watching molten metal pour into the mold, then a few seconds later out pops a couple of brand new shiny bullets. One minute they were spinning round and round stuck to the wheel on some persons car, and the next they're flying down range at 1200 feet per second - they gotta love it as much as I do (I'm sure the sudden stop causes them one hell of a headache but the ride has to be wild!).

I got into casting about a year ago and found it's almost like a zen thing for me - relaxing. I've met a lot of great people along the way and last week even gave a little "class" to someone from my gun club who wanted to get into casting. It's another facet of firearms which is totally enjoyable. In fact, I may be giving a class to several at the club some time in the future.

So - just wanted to thank all of you who helped me along the way. Casting bullets is enjoyable, a great hobby, and a terriffic way to meet some great people.

Now - off to have another driink!

docone31
09-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Go ahead, I dare you! Tell that to someone at the range. At least you would end up with your choice of slots at the firing line.
I know exactly how you feel. I do not care how many times I have cast the same boolitt, at the end of the day, I just feel good. It is a daggoned good feeling.
Why?
Hard to put to words. Just wait untill you get close to the target at 100yds with paper patched boolitts.
I am a jeweler, and target shooter. People who kinda know me are at awe that I do not have mounts on my walls. I just never needed to shoot anything living. I shoot paper, sometimes plates. I never needed to go further. I am not even that good a shot. Still too many variables.
Those with Birkenstocks presume I am awaiting the end. NOT. I do not even think that way. I just want to have cast my own, rolled them, loaded them, and I can point and hit.
I share your joy. Not many of us have those. It is a small thing, but, sometimes small things are real big.
Enjoy, enjoy for all of us.

EMC45
09-21-2008, 08:32 AM
It always brings a smile to my face too. I cast some 405 Lee 45-70s yesterday.

leadeye
09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
When I retired people asked me if I was going to take up golf. When I said I was going to get back into shooting, casting and reloading they thought that was too much like work. Nothing wrong with golf but different stroke for different folks, I just find this more rewarding.

Newtire
09-21-2008, 11:30 AM
I hear the same thing about it being too much work from the non-casters. I just think....good, that's more wheelweights for me.

imashooter2
09-21-2008, 12:42 PM
When I retired people asked me if I was going to take up golf. When I said I was going to get back into shooting, casting and reloading they thought that was too much like work. Nothing wrong with golf but different stroke for different folks, I just find this more rewarding.

I do both and I'm not even retired...

James C. Snodgrass
09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
It is the challenge of doing something all your self , you know you can't blame Hornady or Sierra or any one but your self for a bad group or missed target . If it were to easy everyone would do it . And the constant tinkering and striving for a better boolit or lube......... I just get off on it . James

Down South
09-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I’ve been casting for about a year myself. It is enjoyable and I love doing it. Heck, I even like cleaning (smelting) WW. A few cold ones while doing it makes it even more fun. I can’t wait to get home and try out a new .44 mould now.