PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Boolits in the .30 Carbine Blackhawk

beagle
03-31-2005, 03:07 PM
This has been a project many of us have worked on in the past with varied degrees of success.

Paco Kelley wrote a fine article about it years ago using the Lyman 311440 bullet. I picked that up and attempted to duplicate the loads to no avail.

His theory was that the bullet had to be traveling at least 1200 FPS to stabilize in the relatively slow spin of the Blackhawk .30 Carbine barrel. In my testing, I found this to be true, almost to the last FPS.

There are several problems associated with the project. The first is that pushing a 150 grain +/- bullet at 1200 FPS out of this cartridge is right at the top of the pressure envelope. The second problem is that many of these peeestols require a bullet diameter of .310-.311" to shoot acurately. The third and probably more critical problem is that most of the .30 Carbine Blackhawks have fairly abrupt throats preventing you from seating the bullet out to take advantage of the full cylinder length.

Deep seating depth, the high pressure envionment and a heavy,fat bullet make for high pressures. My original attempts at developing this load met with failure. I could get the 1200 FPS but extraction was very sticky and that was a no go.

In the end, two powders that I tried will probably make the cut in these loads. 2400,and N110. Unfortunately, I ran out of N110 before I could pin down the loads that I wanted that would work.

After the first attempt, the project sat on the bench for a while but I'd think about it. I didn't want to modify the throats. Then I had a brainstorm. Don't throat the gun, throat the bullets.

I took some 311440s that were sized and nose first sized the driving band to .309". This allowed me to seat the bullets out to the full length of the cylinder or in my case, 1.745" OAL on the cartridge.

Now, this load chronographed last week at 1228 FPS and accuracy was good and extraction was easy. I'd done it.

Specs:

311440 sized to .310"/.309" on the driving band.
CCI Small Pistol Primer
10.9 grains of 2400
WW Commercial cases
1.745" OAL
1228 FPS

Then, I was casting some 30-150-CM RCBS bullets for another project and got to thinking....

Yep! They were a bit shorter,weighed a little less and needed no gas check. Being as I am frugual...well, lets say tight, I wondered if.... I sized the front band to .309" and loaded 15 rounds to try.

Another success and at the end of the session, no leading either and they shot with good plinking accuracy at 100 yards.

Specs:

30-150-CM RCBS
Sized .310"/.309" on the front band
CCI Small Pistol primer
10.5 grains 2400
1.745" OAL
1230 FPS

Now, these 30-150s look like an LBT bullet loaded in that long, thin case. Initial results with both bullets look good and I know the 311440s shoot well as I've shot several hundred of them.

So, if you're hankering for a heavy load for the .30 Carbine Ruger, here's a couple to try.

Be careful and use this data at your own risk. Don't substitute rifle primers for the pistol primers. Use only a very light taper crimp. Do not seat deeper. These are very finely balanced loads in my gun and your gun may be different so start a couple tenths grain off and work up./beagle

44man
04-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Beagle, thanks for the info. My friend has one and can't get it to shoot. I will pass on your information to him. :D

beagle
04-02-2005, 03:12 PM
They're a real challenge to get to shoot but once you break the "combination" they're real shooters.

Most of the .30 Carbine brass is undersize length wise. Most people use too much crimp and use a roll crimp die instead of a taper crimp. The main problem is the diameter. Mine shoots much better with .311 or .312 bullets but I'm kind of forced into .310" with this combination or the pressures go up.

If he's having problems, have him contact me and I'll try and talk him through it./beagle

jblee10
05-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I,ve been working on some heavy bullet loads for the 30 Carbine Blackhawk. I'm lucky though as I can use RCBS 30-150-cm bullets as they fall from my mould. They fall at .310 and I have no trouble chambering them at this diameter. Incidentally, they are the roundest bullets I have ever cast.

First load,
Remington cases
Fed #200 small magnum pistol primers
13.2 grains of H110
RCBS 30-150-cm
OAL 1.715
Average velocity 1223 fps
Standard deviation 15 fps
accuracy seems good but I have not bench tested.
Cases nearly fell from the chambers.

Second load,
all the same except
13.5 grains of H110
Average velocity of 1365 fps
Standard deviation of 18 fps
accuracy might be better then the load above but again, I have not bench tested.
Cases were slightly sticky and had slight flattening of the primers but not as bad as factory loads. However, a big change in velocity for a small change in powder charge. I will back off a little and shoot for accuracy.

CAUTION!
I do not have any pressure equipment and these loads are just expermental. Any change would have a big affect on pressure. I'm sure any change in seating depth would have a drastic affect on pressure as well as any other change (lead hardness, powder lot, primer, case, etc.) Use my info at your own risk.

CAUTION!