PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 Sporter 38-55. Any good?

Goshawk
07-30-2018, 01:39 PM
I have had the 38-55 bug for some time now and just can’t find a good used rifle so am considering a new Winchester 94 Sporter. They are made in Japan, have a 24” barrel. I would like to hear from someone who has used one about overall quality, fit and function etc. I would be shooting cast only and shooting dingers to moderate range and hunting.Will a tang sight fit without modifying? What length Starline brass works and any mold and load suggestions would be much appreciated. I have used the search function and so far the options are pretty positive, just looking for some hands on experience.Thanks!

kungfustyle
07-30-2018, 02:51 PM
One way to do it is to buy an older Winchester 94 for cheep ($300 to 400) and send it to Jes at http://35caliber.com/ He charges about $250 to ream out the chamber and bore to 38/55 so for $550 you can have a $1100 rifle. Just a thought. I've been looking at this for a bit.

KCSO
07-30-2018, 04:28 PM
If it has the rebounding hammer system you won't like it.

Jack Stanley
07-30-2018, 05:13 PM

There's probably something to that .............. My Browning model 53 was probably built at the same place the new Winchesters are and I suspect the new ones have what mine did .

After shooting a couple thousand rounds through it , it started giving light hits to the primer until finally it wouldn't fire . Fixing the problem was as simple as taking it apart and removing the trash inside the firing pin that made the"rebounding" stuff work .

Either way you can get there from here .

Jack

pietro
07-30-2018, 06:13 PM

You also probably won't like the tang safety on the new Winchester/Miroku Sporter, which makes mounting a tang peepsight a little difficult.

kungfustyle gave you the best option, short of finding a original - which could give you a reloading workout (they're notorious for different barrels having different bore sizes).

www.35caliber.com will bore a .30-30 Model 94 to a solid .375".

Goshawk
07-30-2018, 06:20 PM
One way to do it is to buy an older Winchester 94 for cheep ($300 to 400) and send it to Jes at http://35caliber.com/ He charges about $250 to ream out the chamber and bore to 38/55 so for $550 you can have a $1100 rifle. Just a thought. I've been looking at this for a bit.
I wish I could do that, it would have been done a couple years ago but I am in Canada and you wouldn’t believe the cost of sending a rifle down and back. I even considered buying a rifle down there, having Jes bore it and then sending it up but again the US and Canadian laws just don’t work. Thanks for your help anyway, if it were even reasonable I would do it.

Goshawk
07-30-2018, 07:18 PM
You also probably won't like the tang safety on the new Winchester/Miroku Sporter, which makes mounting a tang peepsight a little difficult.

kungfustyle gave you the best option, short of finding a original - which could give you a reloading workout (they're notorious for different barrels having different bore sizes).

www.35caliber.com will bore a .30-30 Model 94 to a solid .375".

.Every old rifle I see turns out to be a “ project “ rifle and way to expensive for what you get. Does the tang safety make it impossible to mount a tang sight?

HawkCreek
07-30-2018, 08:00 PM
No, Marbles makes tang sights that fit the 94's with tang safeties. Also, I have 5 Miroku built guns, 4 of them have the rebound hammers and not one of them has ever given me trouble.

Goshawk
07-30-2018, 08:23 PM
No, Marbles makes tang sights that fit the 94's with tang safeties. Also, I have 5 Miroku built guns, 4 of them have the rebound hammers and not one of them has ever given me trouble.
Thank you, I am assuming that with 4 of them you must like them. Good quality?

Kevinakaq
07-30-2018, 08:42 PM

10 minute job to remove...screwdriver and grinder...

I have a Miroku 94 38-55, 20 inch barrel and find it well made and a pleasure to shoot. While I prefer the originals for nostalgia’s sake, the fit and finish on the Japanese rifles are second to none. I also have a Miroku 1873 with the 24inch barrel and it is a jewell. I was looking at the sporter myself for some time when a used 20 inch version came up for sale which I jumped on. I wouldn’t hesistate to buy a Miroku Winchester if it fit the bill for what I was looking for...ymmv.

Drm50
07-30-2018, 09:06 PM
I rebarreled 3 , 94 win to 38/55. Barrels from Numerich, not Win manufacture. Using their barrel
you have to buy another fore end and replace shell guides, also avaible from Numerich. I didn't
buy the parts. I put them together for locals. They bought pre safety 94s for donar gun. I was not
impressed with accuracy of those barrels. Unless you can get ahold of a Winchester barrel I wouldn't mess with it. And still I think a guy futher ahead to have Rebore done. Will be same money and you will have a gun that shoots. You can pick up a post 64 shooter for $300-400.

Kevinakaq
07-30-2018, 09:09 PM
I rebarreled 3 , 94 win to 38/55. Barrels from Numerich, not Win manufacture. Using their barrel
you have to buy another fore end and replace shell guides, also avaible from Numerich. I didn't
buy the parts. I put them together for locals. They bought pre safety 94s for donar gun. I was not
impressed with accuracy of those barrels. Unless you can get ahold of a Winchester barrel I wouldn't mess with it. And still I think a guy futher ahead to have Rebore done. Will be same money and you will have a gun that shoots. You can pick up a post 64 shooter for $300-400.

The OP mentioned he is in Canada and the cost of sending a rifle across and back over the border is cost prohibitive.

Pioneer2
07-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Ron Smith in Alberta 403-631-2405

Goshawk
07-30-2018, 09:44 PM
Ron Smith in Alberta 403-631-2405
Thanks Pioneer2, Ron did a shot out Rigby .303 to 338-303 for me several years ago and it is a great shooting rifle. Modest price too. When I called him about boring a 30-30 to 38-55 he said it’s one of the easiest to do but he was so busy I should call him back in 6 months and he might have time then, maybe!

Goshawk
07-30-2018, 09:52 PM
10 minute job to remove...screwdriver and grinder...

I have a Miroku 94 38-55, 20 inch barrel and find it well made and a pleasure to shoot. While I prefer the originals for nostalgia’s sake, the fit and finish on the Japanese rifles are second to none. I also have a Miroku 1873 with the 24inch barrel and it is a jewell. I was looking at the sporter myself for some time when a used 20 inch version came up for sale which I jumped on. I wouldn’t hesistate to buy a Miroku Winchester if it fit the bill for what I was looking for...ymmv.
Thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear. I don’t mind spending the $ if I get a good product. I am not a collector, my rifles all get shot and hunted with.

Kevinakaq
07-30-2018, 10:09 PM
Thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear. I don’t mind spending the $ if I get a good product. I am not a collector, my rifles all get shot and hunted with.

Few other points worth mentioning. Mine sports a Williams receiver peep. Factory tapped which precludes the need for a tang mounted version and questions about interference etc. with the safety...not sure if sporter is so tapped. I actually use the long version Starline brass as a good lot of it came with the rifle, but I turn down to match the short version - 2.080. Bullets sized to .380 with no leading issues. Mold is an LBT 380-250-LFN. Haven’t had it but a short while but she shoots straight and true. I have no complaints.

HawkCreek
07-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Thank you, I am assuming that with 4 of them you must like them. Good quality?

As Kevinakaq said the rebound is easy to remove if it bothers you that much. The originals are... well they are the original Winchesters and take it on nostalgia but as offensive as some might read this the Miroku factory puts out a Winchester every bit as well made as Winchester ever did.

Goshawk
07-30-2018, 11:11 PM
Few other points worth mentioning. Mine sports a Williams receiver peep. Factory tapped which precludes the need for a tang mounted version and questions about interference etc. with the safety...not sure if sporter is so tapped. I actually use the long version Starline brass as a good lot of it came with the rifle, but I turn down to match the short version - 2.080. Bullets sized to .380 with no leading issues. Mold is an LBT 380-250-LFN. Haven’t had it but a short while but she shoots straight and true. I have no complaints.

224735They are tapped for scopes or receiver sight. That’s probably the way I will go as I have 4 other Williams FP on my Marlins and Savages. Good to know about the brass and mould.

Goshawk
07-30-2018, 11:12 PM
As Kevinakaq said the rebound is easy to remove if it bothers you that much. The originals are... well they are the original Winchesters and take it on nostalgia but as offensive as some might read this the Miroku factory puts out a Winchester every bit as well made as Winchester ever did.
Great info, thank you!

NSB
07-31-2018, 07:51 AM
Miroku rifles take a back seat to no one. I've owned six or seven over the years and they are superbly accurate and well made. I have a High Wall right now that will produce sub 1moa five shot groups at 100 yards, and had an 1886 in 45-70 that would shoot five shots under 1.7" at a measured 114 yards every time and sometimes smaller (my personal range is 114 yards from deck to backstop...that's why the odd yardage). I had a Low Wall that shot sub 1moa as well. Fit and finish are fantastic. I got rid of two of the guns because they were just too nice to drag around in the woods hunting. Fantastic wood and finish. I believe that Miroku made nicer guns than Winchester did. Don't flame me on this, but you simply can't take anything away from Miroku's production and quality process....it's simply state of the art. Say what you want about Japanese, but you can't dispute their attention to detail and quality. Look who's selling cars...

CamoWhamo
07-31-2018, 07:58 AM
I have had the 38-55 bug for some time now and just can’t find a good used rifle so am considering a new Winchester 94 Sporter. They are made in Japan, have a 24” barrel. I would like to hear from someone who has used one about overall quality, fit and function etc. I would be shooting cast only and shooting dingers to moderate range and hunting.Will a tang sight fit without modifying? What length Starline brass works and any mold and load suggestions would be much appreciated. I have used the search function and so far the options are pretty positive, just looking for some hands on experience.Thanks!

I have one and I like it. I'm still working out what it likes best but so far i can answer some of your questions.

The overall quality i would rate as a 9/10. The finish and fit of the timber is great, the bluing is excellent. My one gripe is the lever has a little side to side slop on mine.
I have 2 other Miroku made "short rifles" and there is no slop on either of them.

I have done a cerrosafe cast of my bore and it measures .377.
You need the shorter 2.085" Starline brass. Loaded rounds with the longer brass will not chamber. I bought the longer brass thinking i could use it like my older (1980) rifle. I had to trim all the brass back to 2.085" to chamber the rounds.

I am using an Accurate mold 38-250B. I have tried one load with them sized to .378 and 24gn H4198 which averaged 1475fps. I was shooting groups around 3" at 50m at an indoor range with poor lighting. That's about as good as i can do without a scope at that indoor range. The dull lighting really hampers me.

As for sights. The rifle is drilled and tapped for Angle Eject Scope mounts and there are several companies that make peep sights that mount on top of the receiver using the scope mounting holes.
I use the Skinner sights for my hunting 94AE rifles.
My 38-55's main duty will be for the Lever Action target competitions here so it has the Williams peep sight with target knobs. I have replaced the front sight with a Lyman 17A globe.

If you prefer a Tang Sight it is also drilled and tapped for a Tang Sight, but due to the Tang safety it's not the same as the older model 94's.
It uses the Tang Screw and a small screw about 3/8" ahead of that. Marbles make a tang Sight for the "Legacy" model which will fit. You will need to order the sight and the correct screw set.

If there is anything else you need to know, please ask here or via PM.

Goshawk
07-31-2018, 12:57 PM
NSB and Camowhamo, thank you ! Your info is just what I was needing. Now the big decision.

Goshawk
07-31-2018, 03:15 PM
Well, with all your help I did it. Ordered one just now. For you guys in different countries it cost $1551.60 Canadian dollars before tax and postage. Haven’t ordered a mould yet so any suggestions on mould or loads would be appreciated.Thanks again!

indian joe
07-31-2018, 06:42 PM

Plan B
There are a lot of commemorative 94's lurking around in the back of closets, from time to time they surface and (in my country at least) usually well less money than a new gun costs - oliver F winchester, and legendary frontiersman were two in 38/55 - my observation - winchester put extra effort into these - they are quality firearms and accurate shooters - finish is a bit "loud" but to compensate that you get 24inch octagonal barrel, checkering, really nice wood, NO lawyer safeties ---maybe worth looking???

CamoWhamo
08-01-2018, 04:16 AM
Well, with all your help I did it. Ordered one just now. For you guys in different countries it cost $1551.60 Canadian dollars before tax and postage. Haven’t ordered a mould yet so any suggestions on mould or loads would be appreciated.Thanks again!

Congratulations.

Your Canadian Peso's are a little better than here in Aus. We pay about AUD$1850 for them here.

If you're looking for an off-the-shelf mold, the Lee .379 250gn mold shoots great in 38-55's. I like the way it performs but i don't like it's bevel base when sizing them in the Lubrisizer.

I'm currently trying the 38-250B from Accurate Molds. I haven't fired enough rounds to give an honest opinion of it's performance yet.

NSB
08-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Shouldn't have ever read this post. Now I want one too. Fact is, I've wanted one for quite a while. I'm due for another gun anyway. Thanks Goshawk, I swallowed the hook. No catch and release at this point :grin:

Goshawk
08-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Congratulations.

Your Canadian Peso's are a little better than here in Aus. We pay about AUD$1850 for them here.

If you're looking for an off-the-shelf mold, the Lee .379 250gn mold shoots great in 38-55's. I like the way it performs but i don't like it's bevel base when sizing them in the Lubrisizer.

I'm currently trying the 38-250B from Accurate Molds. I haven't fired enough rounds to give an honest opinion of it's performance yet.
I did order the Lee mould to get me started and provide a plinking bullet till I decide on a good mould design. I am not crazy about the bevel base either but several guys have said it’s a good shooter. Let me know how the 38-250b works out. I think I want a gas check bullet for hunting and am looking at the Accurate 38-270CG. Anybody have any experience with this mould please chime in!

Goshawk
08-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Shouldn't have ever read this post. Now I want one too. Fact is, I've wanted one for quite a while. I'm due for another gun anyway. Thanks Goshawk, I swallowed the hook. No catch and release at this point :grin:
Good to know I am not the only one! I paid for mine with Canadian Loonies but my wife thinks I am the “Loony”.

Bphunter
08-01-2018, 04:54 PM
I bought a new one years 10 years ago. I really liked it but had trouble finding an accurate, soft shooting load for it. I tried Unique but had vertical stringing. Then I noticed every load had vertical stringing. Then I found a post by someone on this site that said to check the magazine tube for clearance at the receiver end - yep, it was binding! A few strokes with a file and the problem is resolved! Took it out today and had a ball! 5-shot .8" groups at 50 yards with iron sights! I used the Lee 379-250-RF (250 grain) bullet with 9.3 grains of Unique. I'm using the Starline 2.125" brass and these bullets engrave slightly when chambered. I use a standard roll crimp, so no issues with bullets telescoping or pulling out when extracted. Just a really nice target load. No issues at all with the bevel base bullets or the "rebounding hammer" :drinks:

Goshawk
08-01-2018, 07:31 PM
Plan B
There are a lot of commemorative 94's lurking around in the back of closets, from time to time they surface and (in my country at least) usually well less money than a new gun costs - oliver F winchester, and legendary frontiersman were two in 38/55 - my observation - winchester put extra effort into these - they are quality firearms and accurate shooters - finish is a bit "loud" but to compensate that you get 24inch octagopnal barrel, checkering, really nice wood, NO lawyer safeties ---maybe worth looking???
Joe, I like your idea, I looked high and low for a Canadian Centennial. Built in 1967, maple leaf engraving and 26” octagon barrel. Only came in 30-30 but could be bored to 38-55. Just can’t find one!

Dusty Ed
08-05-2018, 07:45 PM
Goshawk
I have 3 Miroku Built Winchesters they are tack drivers, 1886 carbine 45-70 Browning no tang safety, Browning BPCR ,WITH A BADGER BARREL ,45-70 , WINCHESTER 1885 38-55 .