PDA

View Full Version : My desk top does not "see" the external drive

fecmech
07-30-2018, 10:43 AM
I recently used Lazesoft cloning software to clone my hard drive. After cloning the desk top to my to Toshiba external drive my computer failed to recognize the drive was even plugged in to the USB port( BTW I'm running Widows 8.1 pro). I plugged the drive into my notebook (also 8.1 home) and it recognized the drive and I was able to explore it. I then formatted the drive( in my notebook) thinking I would redo the clone but my desk top still does not see the drive when I plug it in. The drive powers up, my desk top chimes indicating the drive is plugged in but it does not show up on the computer or in the Lazsoft software as a destination drive for cloning. I tried different USB ports on the desk top but no joy. The drive shows up fine on my notebook and the desk top recognizes any other drives I plug in. Any advice would be appreciated.

StratsMan
07-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Was this hard drive ever encrypted?? If so, then other computers won't see the content without the same encryption software and keys...

But first, go to the Device Manager and click "Disk Management"... If the computer can at least see the hardware it will be listed there....

Or if may be a LazeSoft "feature" to prevent overwriting a drive after it's been used for cloning....

fecmech
07-30-2018, 10:59 AM
It shows up in disc management as "offline" because it has a signature collision with the hard drive. Not sure what to do with that.

fecmech
07-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Sorry for the bother, was able to fix it in disc management by right clicking on the drive and choosing "online". I need to use my poor Googlefu before bothering you guys.

dbosman
08-01-2018, 07:39 PM
My job involves imaging new systems. Some cloning software is so good that Windows 10 won't show the cloned drives as they match the boot drive. Disk Management can loose them, too.

fecmech
08-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Some cloning software is so good that Windows 10 won't show the cloned drives as they match the boot drive
That was what I did originally,clone my HD. When it didn't show up I thought there was a screw up somewhere and wiped the drive to try again. Evidently even though the drive was wiped it still retained some kind of "signature" that caused the 'signature collision" that prevented it from showing up. Right clicking on the drive in disc management and selecting "online" caused disc Man to change the drive signature and it then showed up.